Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Guys,

What is the best road between these two: Branscomb Road or Briceland & Shelter Cove Roads ?

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/ca_branscomb.html

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/ca_br.html

Thx
hey Max.. it's been a while since i've been up there, but i connected those roads using HWY 1. i really like the stretch of HWY 1 between Rockport and Leggett.. really nice road surface with a great rhythm. i actually did a u-turn and retraced it again before heading north on the 101 from Leggett.

some fun stuff on the way... on the 101 some miles north of Leggett, look for the "Bigfoot" store. good for some great laughs... anything you can think of... it's there... really fun.. and the black sand beach at shelter cove was cool... no one else was there... the fog rolled in... it was like an '80's horror movie.. enjoy your ride...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
i figured what the heck... a couple pics of the fun stuff. as far as roads go?... that part of California is full of'em... you could spend weeks up there, and not see them all... but the fun stuff along the way?...

black sand beach... shelter cove

bigfeet... on the 101... around 1 hour north of Leggett... west side...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Don't know the Shelter Cove road, but recently drove Branscomb road from Laytonville to the coast for exploratory purposes and discovered it is a paved 24 mile run up and over the mountains. Very tight and twisty especially on the west side. I'd choose to ride it west to east when I get the chance due to its steepness and its endless consecutive tight turns. Carrying through on FreightTrain's mention, the start of Hwy1 from Leggett to the coast is just downright phenomenal and great in either direction. I love how the smell of the ocean air leads you in, and then the Pacific presents itself in full glory coming out of a left hander - magical stuff!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey Max.. it's been a while since i've been up there, but i connected those roads using HWY 1. i really like the stretch of HWY 1 between Rockport and Leggett.. really nice road surface with a great rhythm. i actually did a u-turn and retraced it again before heading north on the 101 from Leggett.
That stretch is just insane! It's like a Tail of the Dragon on the West Coast... 2dn gear most of the time, sometimes 1st and 3rd... We rode it twice, on the way to the North, and then on the way back.

Eventually we didn't take Shelter Cove Rd nor Branscomb Rd. Timing issue. We took the Lost Coast Hwy instead. Veric scenic and totally worth the ride because of the incredible views, but I wish I had a Supermoto and not a Streetfighter on that rough road...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
good to hear... yep... that is a very nice stretch of road.... glad to hear that they they keep it up, and keep it clean....sounds like you had a great ride...

the shelter cove ride is cool... a little more of an average ride, but the beach was worth it at the end... next time...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts