Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was time to upgrade from my old supersport, so I bought myself a 748. It's running really good except a loud groaning noise if I put a lot of torque on the clutch, a quick takeoff for example.
Im thinking it's the clutch springs that could need some love but I was thinking of switching for some more bling while I'm at it. Is there any reason why I should buy a branded expensive pressure plate, or is it really just for the looks/weight? Same thing about the springs, are there difference between the difference brands? I've been looking through the forums and most of you guys recommend speedymoto or barnets components but they are both american suppliers, as I live europe I prefer an in-house supplier. I try my best to avoid customs and taxes:grin2:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Check this out.It's in the UK. I had purchased the plate, springs and collars from them, very satisfied.

Avanti Race Parts.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Other than bling, I can't see much advantage of an aftermarket pressure plate unless, of course it's much lighter?

The originals look a bit dull on an open clutch, I painted mine with a black rattle-can and it looks much better, paint stays on well enough. Stainless springs are a definite visual improvement and stops the rust staining the plate.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Most aftermarket springs I have seen are stiffer than oem, keep this in mind if clutch pull is an issue with the stock springs. Springs and pressure plate will have zero effect on the groan just cosmetics .

The groan is the clutch plates being grabby (opposite of slipping) often due to high points on the steel non-friction plates. If you pull it apart you will probably see lots of metal specs on the steel plates these are bits from the friction plate tabs that have broken off and fallen into the pack creating high spots. If you take a scotchbrite wheel and remove the high spots (making the plate flat again)the groan will go away until more bits fall in , usually a few thousand miles. It is worth cleaning up the tabs at this point to have less bits ready to fall in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts