Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my devilish post 666!
Best start a thread then:)
I have to replace a warped brake rotor over the winter and am looking at going with BrakeTech cast irons.
Before doing so I was hoping anyone around here who have had BrakeTechs, steel or iron, would share their experiences with this product.
Thanks lads and lasses:)

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Braketech stuff is really nice. Ive used their rotors on a bunch of bikes and the cast iron stuff is unreal. The stainless versions are excellent as well.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Braketech rotors

I replaced the OEM pizza pie rotors on my Monster with cast iron Braketech rotors and continue to remain pleased with them. (I also replaced my OEM brake pads with a set recommended on the BT website after I wore the black coating off the BT rotors.)

I recently replaced the OEM front rotors on my RSV4 with BT CI rotors and have eliminated almost 100% of the brake drag I was having.

If I ride in the rain and when I wash my bikes, I do try to dry off the rotors as soon as I can and also try to make sure the pads are retracted. I do that because on previous occasions, I found that the pads were stuck to the rotors and left a rusty "footprint" on each of the rotors.

I know that some people periodically disassemble their BT rotors so that they can thoroughly clean the buttons, but I've found that applying brake/parts cleaner to the buttons from the outside seems to be adequate.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
j.davis, thank you for your full report, very helpful.
Tom, my current discs are from a 996R, they came with the '01 S that I purchased back in April. I've had the discs honed and the guy who did so said one is slightly warped, which is confirmed by the fact that I still have pulsing at the lever.
Didn't have a shot of just the brakes...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get the Braketech iron rotors. They work great. I have them on several of my bikes.

-M

I am leaning that way. I kinda hate to admit this, but I love how they look, the gold carriers and red ano buttons..., hmmm lovely!
I'm hardly the last of the late brakers, so as long as we don't get a bunch of stories in this thread of nasty warping and bad performance, which I doubt, I'll probably go ahead with them.

·
Premium Member
4,867 Posts
Am about to pull the trigger on a pair of Axis Iron rotors... but have been toying with the idea of getting a pair of these instead.

AXIS/CMC™ Rotors

The only thing holding me back at this point is whether or not the incrementally improved frictional coefficient over iron is worth the almost exponentially increased cost.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Am about to pull the trigger on a pair of Axis Iron rotors... but have been toying with the idea of getting a pair of these instead.

AXIS/CMC™ Rotors

The only thing holding me back at this point is whether or not the incrementally improved frictional coefficient over iron is worth the almost exponentially increased cost.
Oooh aahhh, big spender there Prophet.
I would venture that the big benefit is weight savings rather than outright improved feel over the irons.
In my mind, if you can afford them the weight savings would be well worth it. Do it man, do it!!

·
Registered
241 Posts

AXIS/CMC™ Rotors

Good luck. I waited about 3 years for a set that where just about to go into production due to material testing etc. The current material as per their web site. I gave up but finally picked up a very low klm second hand set from Motowheels about a year ago.
Beautiful discs though & I am glad I finally got a set

·
Registered
16,910 Posts
AXIS/CMC™ Rotors

The other thing that will hold you back is the availability. We have some backorders with them dating back to 2009 for the CMC rotors.

·
Premium Member
4,867 Posts
Oooh aahhh, big spender there Prophet.
I would venture that the big benefit is weight savings rather than outright improved feel over the irons.
In my mind, if you can afford them the weight savings would be well worth it. Do it man, do it!!
My wife wants me to tell you that you are on her shit list Vanduc... ;)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, it only took me two years, but I finally got a set of the Braketech cast irons. Due to a terrible two years job wise I haven't even ridden my 996 since 2013. But things are looking up and I got a decent price on a set of the Braketechs from a forum member.
I'm thinking of going with Ferodo Platinum organic pads with these cast iron discs. I'm leery of running sintered pads with the iron discs.
Any thoughts or suggestions on pads for Braketech cast iron discs? I've got the Brembo 4 pad calipers from the 749/999 and use would be aggressive twisty road/ trackday.

·
Registered
250 Posts
This is from the Braketech site: We test extensively with virtually all the Ferodo sintered metal pads to assure compatibility with our ductile iron rotors, which is why we can recommend the Ferodo SinterGrip ST, XRAC and ZRAC pads for this application.
When I called it was recommended I use the Sintergrip ST since it was mostly going to be used on the street, 80/20 and then if it was more track use the XRAC.
I have the BT Iron Rotors, 4 pad calipers and 10/1198 master cylinder.

Ron

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is from the Braketech site: We test extensively with virtually all the Ferodo sintered metal pads to assure compatibility with our ductile iron rotors, which is why we can recommend the Ferodo SinterGrip ST, XRAC and ZRAC pads for this application.
When I called it was recommended I use the Sintergrip ST since it was mostly going to be used on the street, 80/20 and then if it was more track use the XRAC.
I have the BT Iron Rotors, 4 pad calipers and 10/1198 master cylinder.

Ron
Thank you for your input Ron
So have you ridden with the Sintergrip ST pads and BT rotors combo for any length of time? What are your thoughts on overall performance, wear etc?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wonder what the benefit of using the sintered pad with the cast iron rotors would be over using an organic pad?
My thinking was that one would maximize the "feel" aspect of iron rotors by using an organic pad, while also insuring long disc life. That's just what I'm thinking, not sure if it's true or not...

·
Registered
250 Posts
currently building my 998 ground up. I don't have alot of mileage on this setup. From a stock setup with upgraded pads to my new setup it SOOOOOoooo much .
I spent about 15-20mins on the phone for brake pads and was told I will not be disappointed in this set.
I have adjustable levers also and I have the lever positioned all the way in because of this setup.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well, it only took me two years, but I finally got a set of the Braketech cast irons. Due to a terrible two years job wise I haven't even ridden my 996 since 2013. But things are looking up and I got a decent price on a set of the Braketechs from a forum member.
I'm thinking of going with Ferodo Platinum organic pads with these cast iron discs. I'm leery of running sintered pads with the iron discs.
Any thoughts or suggestions on pads for Braketech cast iron discs? I've got the Brembo 4 pad calipers from the 749/999 and use would be aggressive twisty road/ trackday.
I guess that's why I haven't seen you out and about.
Hope to get a ride or two in over 2016.

Cheers
Jimmy

1 - 20 of 83 Posts