Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '95 900SS still has the origional rotors on it at 32,000 miles. Just recently while making a righthand corner at low speed I heard a series of short grinding sounds and at the same time a slight pull to the left. I babied the bike home about 1 mile and lifted the front end and everything is very smooth. The wheel bearings and axel rotate freely. I have noticed that the rotors are a lot louder than usual so I am wondering if the keepers can loosen up enough to make the rotors bind up in the caliper? The brake pads are in great shape and there are no grooves in the rotors so I am curious if anybody else has run into a problem like this or has heard about it?

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
7 Posts
were you on the brakes when it made the noise? The rotor buttons on my 97 sp are a little on the loose side, it makes the noise when I roll the bike around the garage until I lightly apply the front brake. Do you have a lot of play in the rotors?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I don't see how a rotor can bind in a caliper unless it's bent. The rotors on an SP are so loose they rattle when you turn the bars - I highly doubt your issue is because the buttons have loosened.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is the aluminum pushed up in the button wells where they rock back when under braking? Meaning, if you squat down by the wheel and grab the rotor and rotate it, the part of the carrier that the buttons contact.

Mine are like that and I've wondered at what point it's too much. I've thought about filing the mushroomed part down just a touch but have left it alone so far.

I wonder if yours are like that if they were really bad then I guess the high metal could be making the buttons stick when they rock back.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was not on the brakes when it happened. When i move the bike around the rotors do make some noise but if I touch the brakes it goes away, and I am sure that the rotors are not bent. The rotors have about 1/4" of play side to side and about 1/8" of play forward and backwards. They seem to be worn pretty bad around the buttons.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was not on the brakes when it happened. When i move the bike around the rotors do make some noise but if I touch the brakes it goes away, and I am sure that the rotors are not bent. The rotors have about 1/4" of play side to side and about 1/8" of play forward and backwards. They seem to be worn pretty bad around the buttons.
I'd guess its just rotor rattle since you weren't on the brakes, mine does the same thing in low speed turns. If you were on the brakes and having the noise, warping would probably be the cause. Got any pics of the wear around the buttons?

·
Registered
570 Posts
This has been covered before in the forum.

Mine are like yours but only make the grinding noise when I back up and bike has been sitting all night. Just had a safety check at the dealer.....they tell me it's normal w/ the mileage I had and didn't want to take my money. They said eventually they can replace the button w/ a kit. There are aftermarket rotors like EBC that will cure the noise for good but why would you want to take off these rotors? The noise is just another character "flaw" on our bikes....like the noisy clutch. :p

Rattling is normal as these type of rotors wear. I have had many members in here offering to take them of my hands if the noise bothered me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After inspecting this for about 4 days I finally found the problem. My right side caliper two outside pistons had collapsed. After I touch the brake lever about 10 time or so it pumps back up. After a couple of days of no use it must not react as fast as the inside pistons. I removed the caliper cleaned it really well and noticed where the rotor came into contact with the housing on the caliper. I put everything back together and I think my next step would be to flush my brake system. Hopefully fresh fluid will help this issue.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the outcome of your problem.

I guess that would explain the pulling to one side.

·
Registered
87 Posts
They look just like mine too, which I'm pretty sure are original since it only had 4000 miles on it when I got it.

The carriers are definitely the same pattern as the cast iron full floaters too.

·
Registered
570 Posts
+3. mine are the same and have documentation that tells me they are OEM and original....I have over 36K miles on the bike now.:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts