Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a 2003 st4 15 000ks, I have a pulse in the front brakes.
I have cleaned the bobbins so they move freely.
If i brake hard the pulsation will go away for 20-30 minutes then comes back.
Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
5,366 Posts
This is a frequently talked about issue. If you search the forum you'll find many threads dedicated to this. It seems to boil down to a couple issues. One is the transfer of pad material to the rotor (think hard braking, coming to a stop, and holding the brakes...the hot rotor pulls off a thin layer of pad). The other is warped rotor. In your case, since you can make the symptoms disappear I would say a warped rotor is unlikely. Some folks have had success in cleaning the rotors with a Scotch-Brite pad. Some have done that plus swapped out the pads for a different brand/material. I'm sure others will chime in soon!

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I use a vibratory sander on the disc with 60-80 grit sandpaper while turning the disc, keeping the sander moving. Same method for the pads followed by washing and drying both with degreaser. I do this any time I remove the wheel. If there are any hard spots on the discs ( formed by overheating) they will show as shiny spots that doesn’t get as scratched as the surrounding disc. These usually aren’t deep and can be removed by having the disc turned, if they are large. They can cause pulsing too.

Reactions: mlukason

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Never had the issue with my ST2 or the same Brembos that are on my 'guzzi. Note that I know that the OEM pads on the ST2 are different than the "brembo/Toshiba" pads on my ST4s.

I believe the ST4s pads are more aggressive, and aggravate the transfer issue that Mlukason was describing.

Another thing that "cured" the pulsing on the ST4s was a zesty cruise on mountain roads. Hitting the corners hot, applying a lot of front brake before entering the corner, rinse and repeat. The key here is after doing this many times is to wipe the shit-eating grin off your face--oh, no what I mean is make sure to allow a lot of cool-down miles.

It's important to have the rotors & pads cool off before you go and park the bike.

That cured mine...

Reactions: PACABADA

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pulsing issue solved.
I took off the brake lever, polished the pivot bolt and re-greased, also found a small nick on the lever which I removed with some wet and dry.
I also took out some brake fluid as it was well over the full line.

cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts