Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd try to deal with pulsating brakes by changing pads. I ordered a set off of eBay. EBC Double H Sintered. The package that arrived, on the back, has three different types identified on the back, "Sintered pads", "Trackday pads", and "GPFAX Full race pads." There is an X beside the later. So I guess I bought race pads. "For closed circuit racing only. An ultra high friction HH rated pad with excellent resistance to temperature. Not recommended for highway use and not TUV tested."
I don't remember anything in the ad saying that these were race only but I think that since they were shipped from England I'm out of luck to return them. Any idea as to what would happen if I used them on the "highway?" Grabby brakes? Wear out fast? No brakes? Wear the disc faster?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Part of your problem may be due to a warped rotor. I doubt it but check your run out to see if its in spec or not.
You can also deglaze your rotors. I think that would make a big improvement from my own experience on my ZX 11.
Those pads just work best at a higher temperature but believe they will work fine since I went that route one time also. I run stock pads, never really noticed an improvement with other options except a lower price tag.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Paul. I've read all the threads on brake pulsating. Discs aren't warped. If I sand the discs with emery cloth they will be fine for a little while then start pulsating again. I've cleaned the buttons, etc. I am sure the issue is pad buildup on the discs. Hence the decision to change pads. Perhaps I shouldn't have even raised the reason for the new pads.
I've contacted the seller on eBay and am waiting for a reply. I think I can, in fact, send them back if I pay for shipping but would prefer not to bother.
I see others selling the same FA244 pads and I see one selling GPX244 pads. I'm puzzled as to why mine are labelled FA244 on the front but seem to be indicated as GPX on the back of the same blister-pack.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am sure the issue is pad buildup on the discs. Hence the decision to change pads.
new pads will not fix the pulsating
nor will emery cloth on the discs
the uneven pad deposits that is the cause of the pulsating, has to be removed from the disk
that would involve dismantling the disc from the carrier and grinding them on a surface grinder
this process is both costly and time consuming
better off to buy new discs and pads
here are a couple of articles about the cause of our so called "warped disc" problems that so many people wrongly diagnose

Brake Discs: What Goes Right Must Go Wrong. | Armchair Biker
-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

I know the second article is about cast iron car rotors, but this articles technical truth can be applied to motorcycle rotors

·
Registered
164 Posts
Previous post notwithstanding (and I've always liked the stoptech article :)) I think you're on the right path with trying the pad swap. I had a similar issue on my diavel with the stock brembo pads and from what I hear its quite common. Grabby, pulsing brakes at low speed braking. Cleaned the buttons, did the scotchbrite pad on the rotors, sanded the pad faces to remove any glazing, re-bedded the pads, the pulsing always came back. Switching to ebc HH sintered along with another treatment of scotchbrite pad on the rotors and a proper bedding in fixed the issue permanently (or at least for the last 6-7000 km). My feeling is the issue is caused by improper or non-existing bedding in of the pads/rotors when new as my bike had the issue as early as 1000km with easy riding.

I wish I had the packaging for the HH pads I received because I remember having the same concern about having 'mistakenly' ordered the race versions due to how they were labelled. Check the part number on the package and stamped on the pads themselves, I know the GPFAX will have GPFAX in the actual part number. If yours don't have GPFAX in the part number you might be OK. Just for comparison mine were 'FA***HH' p/n for the sintered version.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I’ve used race pads like that on the street and noticed no difference compared to any other HH pad I’ve used. HH pads in general will wear the rotors a bit faster, but to me it’s a good trade off. I’ve had excellent results refinishing rotors with a vibratory sander and 60-80 grit paper, keeping it moving and rotating the rotor as I work. This will remove all build up and leave a nice matte finish, even on stainless rotors.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doh! FFS! Explaining my concerns to my wife, I realized that the GPFAX has an X beside it because the X is through the TUV certification and the GPFAX is not TUV certified. The X is not to identify the contents of the package. AS Jetta suggests, the labelling on the pads themselves is the true test and they are what they should be. Thanks for the input, all. I will report back after a few miles/a few months as to whether the pad change does anything for the pulsating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts