Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked my dealer to price out brake pads for my DVT and the prices he came back with:

Ducati front: $240 :surprise:
Ducati rear: $92 :surprise:
EBC front: $72 :smile2:
EBC rear: $39 :smile2:

Is there any reason in all that is holy you would want to go with the Ducati pads? Anyone know who their OEM is?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Brembo. For some reason, about 2 or 3 years ago, Brembo pads just got super pricey....

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I asked my dealer to price out brake pads for my DVT and the prices he came back with:

Ducati front: $240 :surprise:
Ducati rear: $92 :surprise:
EBC front: $72 :smile2:
EBC rear: $39 :smile2:

Is there any reason in all that is holy you would want to go with the Ducati pads? Anyone know who their OEM is?

I'm wondering why you bothered to ask your dealer at all. Just for giggles?

'any reason...?' N O .

or, yes, if it makes you feel good supporting you local shop.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm wondering why you bothered to ask your dealer at all. Just for giggles?

'any reason...?' N O .

or, yes, if it makes you feel good supporting you local shop.
You make it sound like supporting your local shop is a bad thing.

They provide me a discount because of my purchase history with the dealership which works out to 20% off prices you'd see on Revzilla. So yes, they are my first stop for pricing on anything.

It doesn't hurt to have a good relationship with your local dealer.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts

They provide me a discount because of my purchase history with the dealership which works out to 20% off prices you'd see on Revzilla. So yes, they are my first stop for pricing on anything.

You asked, I responded with my personal opinion. I am not anti-local dealership. Not sure how you got that from my comment. Far from it. If they had what need when I walk in and at a fair price (not necessarily lower), I'll buy there.

But, there is a difference between supporting your local and getting raped by same. The $240 brake pad example is rape. Your discount isn't what anyone I know experiences.

The last item I got at a dealer was a jacket. I had a couple picked out from online reviews and on a whim I stopped in to see what they had. And, gosh darn it it they didn't have one from my list. And, 'on sale'. It was still more than I could have gotten it for at any number of online stores but, it was close enough and I could take it home right then. Other times, I've called around and they either didn't have what I wanted and/or the price was obscene. The latter experience is the norm.

If you are happy with yours, great. Keep shopping there and maybe their business ethic will catch on.

Reactions: antiwaki

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Those same pads can be ordered from Ducati Omaha for $147.

Get the EBC HH pads and dont look back. Better performance at half the price.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts

My local Duc dealership is a spinoff owned by a huge Harley dealership, so I don't feel terrribly obligated to support them by buying OEM if aftermarket will do. But I do like to support my local independent shop. I buy tires, brake pads, fluids, etc from them. They are a little more expensive than online, but WTH.

·
Registered
392 Posts
if you are happy with the brakes

then don't mess with it, buy the OEM

I have had 2 MTS 1200s, an 11 and a 13
Both have suffered from pulsing / judder from the front brake when coming to a stop.

Went through 2 set of OEM rotors on the first bike, and tried Ferodo and Vesrah pads. Still NG.

On the current bike, 13M, it looks like Ducati has changed to Brembo metallic pads.

It took about twice as long with this setup for the brakes to become $hit as it took on the 11M.

On the 11, I eventually gave up and got Braketech rotors.

I have had 12 bikes in the last 9 years. 4 of them Ducati. 07 ST3, 09 MTS1100s, 11 MTS1200, 13 MTS1200. The only bikes of the 12 I had brake problems with were, all 4 Ducatis.

For me the moral of the story is, if Ducati has actually made a pad / rotor combo that will stop the bike and not get grabby, then I would buy it, unless the forum here has overwhelming evidence of a good aftermarket solution.

There was something fundamentally wrong with the material Ducati / Brembo used for the 11-14 rotors.

In my case, all the OEM setups sucked and I had to go to the aftermarket to find brakes that worked, not that saved money.

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
Example Ducati branded GPS (Garmin) 2Xs the cost of a very similar Garmin.
Brake pads are consumables, try what many others recommend at the MUCH lower price.

Is Ducati going to warranty the pads? If you have problems will Ducati (your dealer) going to make it right?

Sometimes a leap of faith works out and saves you some $$$

One would like to think that you can't go wrong with Brembo...

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
then don't mess with it, buy the OEM

I have had 2 MTS 1200s, an 11 and a 13
Both have suffered from pulsing / judder from the front brake when coming to a stop.

Went through 2 set of OEM rotors on the first bike, and tried Ferodo and Vesrah pads. Still NG.

On the current bike, 13M, it looks like Ducati has changed to Brembo metallic pads.

It took about twice as long with this setup for the brakes to become $hit as it took on the 11M.

On the 11, I eventually gave up and got Braketech rotors.

I have had 12 bikes in the last 9 years. 4 of them Ducati. 07 ST3, 09 MTS1100s, 11 MTS1200, 13 MTS1200. The only bikes of the 12 I had brake problems with were, all 4 Ducatis.

For me the moral of the story is, if Ducati has actually made a pad / rotor combo that will stop the bike and not get grabby, then I would buy it, unless the forum here has overwhelming evidence of a good aftermarket solution.

There was something fundamentally wrong with the material Ducati / Brembo used for the 11-14 rotors.

In my case, all the OEM setups sucked and I had to go to the aftermarket to find brakes that worked, not that saved money.
Wow, talk about some bad luck. 4 of my bikes over the last few years have also been Ducs (ST3, Multi 1100S, and two 1200S), and none of them have had any issue with front brakes, although I did replace the pads with EBCs early on with all of them.

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
WillieB

Stainless steel has a tendency to harden with heat, Iron less so. This is the likely difference and why you keep losing oem rotors. We used to see our customers who lived in and around Boston would go through rotors far more than average. The pattern seemed to be a rider who rode in stop and go traffic and held the front brake lever at a stop.

Holding the front brake at a stop puts more heat under the pads, this is not the issue as much as the fact that the area around the pad are not as hot and therefore not as hard. Over many miles these hard and softer spots wear differently causing the rotor to vary in thickness. This is the pulsing you feel, It will start in as little as .0005" variance. Replace by .001". If you measure rotors you will easily see this.

We tried having the rotors surface ground and though they were flat again the metal was still inconsistant in hardness so the wear would continue. Iron can wear like this but it is pretty rare so if you are prone to this happening either stop using the FRONT brake to hold you at a stop and/or switch to iron.

FYI: we never change race bikes for this reason as they see lots of heat but it is even.

The brake pad price does not surprise me it has always been this way with all oem brembo I never buy any brembo from Ducati. This may not be the dealer but Ducati themselves. Also better pads are available from just about everyone else for less.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm definitely going EBC. Seems silly to buy the DUc parts.
The OEM prices are ridiculous, but I sure wouldn't switch to EBC HH pads. In my experience they're very grabby and tend to be hard on rotors, though I'll admit I haven't tried them on a Multi. Still, almost any other aftermarket pad is a better option, IMHO.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The OEM prices are ridiculous, but I sure wouldn't switch to EBC HH pads. In my experience they're very grabby and tend to be hard on rotors, though I'll admit I haven't tried them on a Multi. Still, almost any other aftermarket pad is a better option, IMHO.
i had ebc hh pads on my honda 600rr, i thought they were great. however, the multi stops harder I think? I dont have that bike anymore, but the brembos are sick.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've used EBCs before on my previous Hypers and can't say I ever had an issue.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've used EBCs before on my previous Hypers and can't say I ever had an issue.
EBC HH pads are great if you like initial bite and don't care so much about modulation and feel. At this point in my riding career I think I've still got more track miles than street miles under my belt, so I tend to prefer pads that are more linear and easy to modulate. YMMV.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've had the same set of Vesrag RJL's up front for the past 20,000+ miles and not only do they outperform the oem pads, they're only half worn at last check just last month.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts