Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done around 5 track days in my 916's Front brake pads and still find there is lots of pad left. I flush and replace fluid after every track day. I recently find that my brake lever is going a little deeper to catch the brake. Is this what is called as brake fade? or is there a way to find, if i have air lock in the system

Thanks for the help
The Ductor

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Is this happening after being on the track for a while or is the lever going a little deeper all the time. If it's the latter the no, the lever is going deeper to account for the wear in the pad. This is not fade, and perfectly normal. Brake fade is a condition that happens when the brakes get too hot. I don't know the 'technical' terms of the condition or exactly what is happening (from an engineering standpoint) but the brakes just loose all effectiveness. Sure some of our resident brainiacs will be along shortly to better explain just what fade is, but right now, you don't have it.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
You didn't mention if the brakes were hot when the lever needs to be closer to the bar. Brake fade is when the pads heat up they loose the friction coefficient that they should have and require more force to obtain the same stopping power, means as you ride you find yourself squeezing harder and harder for the same stopping power and the lever tends pull closer to the bar as a result. New pads are in order only since you already said you have fresh fluid.

If it is lever is closer to the bar, cold brakes, and the lever is mushy then you still have entrapped air in the system and needs a good bleeding. I had a similar problem a while back but I had a bad master cylinder, not a common problem.

If it is just the lever position and you still are getting the same stopping power and the lever is firm, sounds like you lever reach adjustment has moved from your normal setting.

Since it is a hydraulic system as the pads wear the reservoir will replenish the line making up for the wear. The lever should engage the brakes at the same point but you would see a very slow drop in the brake fluid level as the pads wear.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
The pads will glaze due to use and therefore have less friction, so you will need more pressure to get the same braking force. Take out the pads and 'roughen' them with some fine emery cloth, and they'll be as good as new.
:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
On the back of some EBC race pads I bought yesterday; they say that it takes about 250 miles to "embedd" sic them into the rotors and then you will have an abrupt change. It even has a warning that tells you to be careful.. :D

·
Registered
722 Posts
I had to put EBC HH pads on my race bike and it did that. I would have to adjust the lever during the day but after they cooled over night the lever needed adjusting back in. I swaped the pads to the CL race pads and all was fine.

SMALL air bubbles or water content could cause that too. Make sure you have a bleeder on your master cyl.

·
Registered
407 Posts
What brand of brake pad are you using? Unless you're racing, pads should last many, many track days before they need changing... death-grip braking isn't required.. 1 or 2 fingers is all that's really needed.

Also, you may want to do a little squeeze while going down the straights to keep the pads hot so when you do squeeze them they are up to temp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts