Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I just realized that my brake light isn’t getting brighter when I engage the brake lever but works fine when engaging rear brake. I then noticed the rectifier was dangling under the seat (did a relocation). From what I can tell all cables are intact. Apart from the plastic tray do I need to replace the rectifier to fix the brake issue?

Cheers,

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Sport1000, GT1000
167 Posts
That looks gnarly, how'd that happen?
Most likely you wont have to replace the R/R to get the brake light to work. First Id check the switch and then the brake light. Unless your R/R is fried there wouldn't be a reason to swap it out.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea how it happened and I honestly don’t know how long it’s been like that. Not too long I think.

From what I can tell the switch is going up and down as it should.

The brake light is working as it should when I use the rear brake (gets brighter when it’s pressed).

I’m going to order s replacement tray but I’m at a loss for why the lever isn’t making the light go on.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
grab your multimeter and check the switch

Reactions: EvoMosquito

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might want to look into replacing your rectifier with a Mosfet unit. I wonder if its been heating up the plastic over time to where it just became so brittle it cracked.

It’s possible however, I just relocated it under there like a month ago.

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Sport1000, GT1000
167 Posts

I have done the same on my GT and have a battery box sitting on top (under the seat where RR used to be, which adds weight to the plastic tray) and haven't had any issues. Theres a micro switch behind the brake lever, check to see if its working. If you don't have a multimeter you should purchase one, they are relatively inexpensive and a really good tool.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
find the brake switch connectors (should be two round bullets) and jump them somehow - pull back the rubber boots and touch them, stick some pointy nose pliers into each, paperclip, etc. simple test.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone, it looks like there was corrosion that was hard to spot. I’ll still have to replace the plastic tray. Maybe it’s time to replace the rectifier with a mosfet one while I’m at it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks everyone, it looks like there was corrosion that was hard to spot. I’ll still have to replace the plastic tray. Maybe it’s time to replace the rectifier with a mosfet one while I’m at it.

Try some dielectric grease on that connector once you get it cleaned up to keep the corrosion from coming back.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I didn't catch that the first time I read your post. I thought it was mounted under the seat in its normal position. Look into what idrinkbeer said about your rear tire hitting it or the possibility that something popped up from the road and snagged it. If you were riding it, you would think you would have felt it when it happened.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts