Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, anyone have an extra brake lever cable barrel? I was changing brake / clutch levers and when I took the brake lever off, the cable barrel fell into the bowels of the motor....I pulled the plastic off both sides and still can't find it.
I looked at the Ducati parts fiche and couldn't find a part number. Could this be a universal part that might be available at a local shop?
Jerry

·
7,733 Posts
Ummm, what part did you lose? "Cable" barrel? :confused: Hydraulic brakes and clutches on Ducati St's afaik...no cables.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a barrel that attaches the brake line to the brake lever. That's the part that I dropped into the never-to-be-heard-from-again bowels of the engine.

·
7,733 Posts
I think you mean the pivot pin. You have to buy a whole lever for that part, approx 125.00 new, maybe you can source a used one...search the classifieds as opposed to posting a "want" thread here. You can easily whip something up that will work, like a small piece of hydralic brake line tube and wire...:)

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Or do you mean the banjo bolt? If so, desmotimes sells a very cool banjo bleeder. It allows you to easily bleed the master, which is where the air usually collects as it is the highest point.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tony, I need to look again because I think it is the pivot pin...

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
I see, brake lever to the master cylinder. Try looking on the top of the lower triple clamp or the air deflector attached to the clamp also in the valley between the cylinders. I’ve dropped fasteners and they have ended up there. Also, check between the foam and the fairings. Or between the rad and horiz cylinder? The air extractor can be easily removed from the side fairing. It is a bit harder to re-attach though.

Also, there is a mod somewhere that uses a bolt and a needle bearing for smoother action on the big pivot masters. I believe you need the top part of the pivot pin to do it though.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
This?

This?

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
or this?

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
SP,

I beleive that is a small pivot master cylinder. There is no barrel pin on a large (hollow) pivot master.

That said, the small pivot masters seem to have a better feel, yet I've found a lot of wear in the barrel pin to lever interface on the clutch side. Talking with a vendor, they said that aftermarket levers will fair no better than the Brembo levers.

Maybe I'll convert to radials some day? =)

Have a good one.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
or this?

tonered, I am only throwing pics out as the op seemingly hasn't a clue about terminology and that makes it difficult to help.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the pictures SP3, you're right, I don't know the terminology and that's not helping you guys help me....
I'm going to take a look to night and see exactly what I'm missing. Like Stryder said from the beginning, the brakes are hydraulic and I'm talking about a cable. I think (I know, I know), that what happened is the accelerator cable came loose at the same time the pivot pin fell into the engine. Then I was more concerned with taking the plastic off trying to find it and not enough time trying to understand what was missing.
I'll take a look tonight and see if I can give you guys better info tomorrow.
Thanks!
Jerry

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If this works I've attached 3 pictures showing the end of a cable that goes into a barrel in the empty hole.
Suggestions?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
That's weird. You have some small pivot masters. I didn't think any STs came with those. That is not a cable, but the end of the piston assembly for the brake with the return spring visible.

You are looking for the Barrel Pin that SP shows in Post 9, above. Are you sure it didn't drop out the bottom and roll somewhere. I've had that happen also. I think it is a better situation except when the bit ends up under the exact center of the car next to the bike. =)

Have a good one.

·
7,733 Posts
If this works I've attached 3 pictures showing the end of a cable that goes into a barrel in the empty hole.
Suggestions?

That's not the end of a cable, it's the master cylinder "plunger", that is activated by the barrel pin when you engage the lever. You may need to buy a new lever if you can't fish it out of the confines of the engine bay with a magnet, but you should be able to find it. How did it come out? :)

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was overly concerned with not dropping the pivot pin or dropping the lever on the tank and wasn't expecting that part to spring out.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SUCCESS!! Exactly as Tony said. I knew it didn't fall all the way through so I grabbed a flashlight and had my wife hold the tank up and just kept looking for something out of place.
I finally just could see it but needed a seldom used extendable magnet to get it out. Took a few tries coming from different angles until I could just barely touch it.
MINE!!
Levers on and feel great.
Thanks for the pictures and suggestions!

·
7,733 Posts
SUCCESS!! Exactly as Tony said. I knew it didn't fall all the way through so I grabbed a flashlight and had my wife hold the tank up and just kept looking for something out of place.
I finally just could see it but needed a seldom used extendable magnet to get it out. Took a few tries coming from different angles until I could just barely touch it.
MINE!!
Levers on and feel great.
Thanks for the pictures and suggestions!

The tank might have a prop stick, located on the right hand side, tucked up against the air box. My ST does. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts