Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas, I'm trying to find out what happened to my rear brake the other day on my Multi 1200, here it is:
The rear brake has been working fine up to last weekend, I havn't had the loss of pedal travel like most of the owners has but while riding I noticed that even though the pedal travel hasn't changed, the brake became useless, I only use the rear brake to hold the bike still or sometimes on turns when the bite of the front would be a bit too drastic but the other day I had next to nothing as a result. I figured I had chain wax on the disc but that wasn't the case so after the ride I put it on the rear stand and expected the disc to be somewhat hot but the thing was cold even though I was using it constantly, I put the foot on the brake and with both hands I was able to turn the wheel even if it was tough, the reservoir at that point was full to the brim with the fluid pitch black. I usually keep the level betw. min. and max at cold so here's my question, has the fluid expanded? has the fluid built moisture into the reservoir? Would that make it lose the bite without losing the pedal pressure?

I remember someone mentioned a brake fluid that get used for racing that doesn't let moisture build into the system, is there anyone that knows what I'm talking about and if so and that's my problem, could anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance!

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
if the fluid is dark coloured surely that would indicate its well past its used by date ?

when is the last time its been changed ?

as for the "special" racing fluid ... i truly wouldnt bother . Assuming that Ducati scientists havent come up with a new and improved formula , racing fluid doesnt have nearly the longevity of your standard fluid and its boiling point is not much greater ... in other words , its designed for racing where you swap out regularly.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
If I remember correctly, village elder Shazam posted a rundown of the different brake fluid choices, I use Ate Super Blue myself in my car and all my bikes.

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
i wil try and hunt that thread down ... the only other thing that "bothers" me is that they have fluid specically designed for abs ... i havent worked out why ? anyone know ?

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
special (undisclosed details) brake fluid was the latest step the dealer performed in addressing my rear brake issues.

the first four visits involved bleeding the brakes. That didn't last.

Then they performed the "Service Bulletin" fix (new parts). That slowly degraded in performance over about 1000 miles.

On my last visit for the rear brake, they said Ducati Italy was recommending a new, VERY expensive ($85 a pint) brake fluid. So far, the brakes have been consistent, but that was only a couple hundred miles ago.

The Service manager also advised me that a regular flush and bleeding with this expensive, every three months, would probably be a part of my Ducati ownership.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if the fluid is dark coloured surely that would indicate its well past its used by date ?

when is the last time its been changed ?

as for the "special" racing fluid ... i truly wouldnt bother . Assuming that Ducati scientists havent come up with a new and improved formula , racing fluid doesnt have nearly the longevity of your standard fluid and its boiling point is not much greater ... in other words , its designed for racing where you swap out regularly.
The bike has 850 miles all together and the fluid is black, somehow there's maybe a contamination problem there and all I can think is maybe water (moisture) built in the system?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Water contamination won't result in 'black' fluid....that sounds more like a seal breaking down somewhere - time to refer to your Dealer?

special (undisclosed details) brake fluid was the latest step the dealer performed in addressing my rear brake issues.

the first four visits involved bleeding the brakes. That didn't last.

Then they performed the "Service Bulletin" fix (new parts). That slowly degraded in performance over about 1000 miles.

On my last visit for the rear brake, they said Ducati Italy was recommending a new, VERY expensive ($85 a pint) brake fluid. So far, the brakes have been consistent, but that was only a couple hundred miles ago.

The Service manager also advised me that a regular flush and bleeding with this expensive, every three months, would probably be a part of my Ducati ownership.
At the time of the issue of that Bulletin Ducati also changed their recommendation on the spec of brake fluid used from
SHELL Advance Brake DOT 4
to Castrol Response Super DOT 4

1 - 8 of 8 Posts