Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took my Monster 821 for 9000 mile service today and the guy at the dealership asked if I wanted brake bleeding, given that 500ml DOT 4 fluid costs 20$ and being a 30 min job for an experienced technician, I said to do it.

After couple hours I got the call from the dealership saying the bike is ready to go and they said the service totaled to 860$, I was expecting to be some where between 500 to 550 (9000mile service + inspection), when I asked for the breakdown this is what I got.

9000 mile service = 530
Inspection = 33
Brake bleed = 270.

Never did brake bleed in the shop. Does it seriously cost 270$ or the dealership is trying to scam?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Seems a little high on the brake bleed? At most it's an hour job all around. Did you inquire on book rate for the bleed?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Screw jobs like that are the reason I do all my own work.

Even if he hooked up the computer and did a proper ABS solenoid cycle to freshen up the fluid in that circuit, that is still about double the price it should be.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
that's a bit outrageous. i'd ask them to justify it. i spent nearly 2 hours trying to get an 821 rear brake working again once, but a straight fluid change is pretty easy on them if the brakes were fine to start with.

i don't know that there is a capacity for electronic input to a fluid change. i'll have to see if my tool offers that at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems a little high on the brake bleed? At most it's an hour job all around. Did you inquire on book rate for the bleed?
I did ask if they had to replace any parts and they said they didn't replace anything just brake fluid flush. I did not pick up the bike yet, they are closed now, I will ask them why it costed that much when there are no new parts installed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's a bit outrageous. i'd ask them to justify it. i spent nearly 2 hours trying to get an 821 rear brake working again once, but a straight fluid change is pretty easy on them if the brakes were fine to start with.

i don't know that there is a capacity for electronic input to a fluid change. i'll have to see if my tool offers that at all.
That's what I thought and they didn't replace any parts, when I first did the fluid flush it took me approximately 1 hour to figure out how to do it watching YouTube videos, I think it shouldn't take more than 30 mins for a technician and they charge 110 per hour.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Screw jobs like that are the reason I do all my own work.

Even if he hooked up the computer and did a proper ABS solenoid cycle to freshen up the fluid in that circuit, that is still about double the price it should be.
Thanks, I'll ask why it costed that much for brake flush, still haven't picked up the bike.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE.

·
Registered
414 Posts
FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE.
Thanks for your polite ALL CAPS request, but for a lot of people real name and occupation is none of your business, and not everyone feels like sharing location either.

manoj517, feel free to rebel like I do and empty out your profile. >:)

·
Read Only
151 Posts
I might be able to answer why it cost so much for the 821. When I took my 797 Monster in for the first service the rear break was barely working and needed to be bled. The tech came out and told me that it's a good thing I didn't have an 821 because it would have required taking off the whole wheel and it's much more complicated for the same job. He tried to explain why but I don't recall the specifics.
Could involve traction control which the 797 doesn't have.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Thanks for your polite ALL CAPS request, but for a lot of people real name and occupation is none of your business, and not everyone feels like sharing location either.

manoj517, feel free to rebel like I do and empty out your profile. >:)

Filling out a general location helps others post alternate dealers, independent shops, and other sources of parts, repair, and help. Almost nobody uses their real name here. Location and years/models of Ducati and that's about it. Also, you haven't been around here much if you haven't already seen the same request, over and over and over, from the moderators of this site.

Where ever the OP is, he needs to find an alternate dealer. Even if they used a 33/33/34% mix of unicorn urine, sasquatch spunk, and Very Very Old Fitzgerald 12 Year Old bourbon for the fluid, he got taken.

Reactions: enzochi and PeterS

·
Registered
473 Posts
I might be able to answer why it cost so much for the 821. When I took my 797 Monster in for the first service the rear break was barely working and needed to be bled. The tech came out and told me that it's a good thing I didn't have an 821 because it would have required taking off the whole wheel and it's much more complicated for the same job. He tried to explain why but I don't recall the specifics.
Could involve traction control which the 797 doesn't have.
Wow...the "whole" wheel? What an intricate and highly complicated process that must be.....$270 for a simple brake flush is bullshit regardless of the model

·
Registered
763 Posts
Funny...because you have to remove the brakes to take off the wheel....lol...I doubt the brake flush was 270....but whatever the price was...it's way more than the tools cost to do it yourself and given the amount your going to need to do it is hardly worth any price...I'm swapping fluid every other month...it's 22.00 and two wrenches...three if I pull the caliper....your going to be swimming in maintenance costs if you don't go at some of them yourself... generally you break even on the first of any service buying tools and what not...but the savings add up over time... especially when it comes to tires

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Pfffft! ... computer bikes ..... damn the robot races ... same with computer cars ... many late model pickup trucks have an MSRP of roughly $60k .... then comes the time to pay for the repairs if you don't have the proper equipment and training to do that yourself.

If the charges came to almost $900 bucks, and the shop gets $110 per hour, they need to justify roughly eight hours of labor ... for a service and a brake flush.

Seriously?

Sumpem's up with that.

:mad:

·
Premium Member
5,436 Posts
1/2 hour to try and bleed brakes
15 minutes to ponder how you introduced air to the system
2 hours to get the air out of the system that you introduced.
charge customer for 2-3/4 hour brake bleed.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
This same disease is found in the motorhome generator repair/service industry, as well as the emergency power generator industry. I can't recall how many customers I had that came from "50 states over" due to word of mouth regarding our competence and honesty. I've heard more horror stories about crappy ass service centers (as I am certain any of the pro-level Ducati motorheads within our membership have) across the USA involving incompetent techs and lousy workmanship ... that the customer(s) end up paying for!!!!

Ugh ... pisses me off, it does. Crooks and idiots, the lot. :mad:

:wink2:

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
:grin2:

i had an 821 come in with no rear brake. in the end, after trying all the other stuff, i got the vacuum bleeder out and that fixed it. amazed me, generally that just screws them up massively.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
fluid change/

to make matters more annoying it should be flushed every 2 years.best to do it your self if possible-buy a brake fluid moisture tester as well. just checked a sealed Valvoline dot 3-4 & it was 2.5%. 3% is time to change.for 270$ they had best use fluid thats in the 0-1%.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts