Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are you guys buying yours from? I searched the forum but came up with nothing.

I want to go through all the brakes and clutch on both my 748, and eventually the 748R as it goes back together.

Desmotimes does not appear to sell them. Yoyodyne does, and it's only about 28 bucks for 56 of them (enough for every fitting on both bikes x2).

Just curious if anyone had any other places they snag theirs from that might have a better deal.

Also, just to make DAMN certain, the stock banjo bolt are in fact 10mm and use the 10mm size crush washers correct?

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, those. That ebay seller's price is 20 cents more per washer than Yoyodyne though so I think I'll stick with them.

I found a few sites that also sell Spiegler aluminum ones as well, but that's what's on my 748 clutch now and all it does it leak. I think I'll stick with copper.

What is everyone else using? Copper or aluminum? Seems to be around a 10 cent difference between the two per washer.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
autozone, advance auto, napa.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
autozone, advance auto, napa.

They never seem to have any every time I go in there though. It's like they know I'm coming to buy a crap load and hide them lol. I guess I can try again after work today. Would save on shipping and prob even out.

Edit: Just went on Autozone's site. 5pc copper crush washer packet is like $9. For about $30 from Yoyodyne I get 56 lol.

Bulk on the web seems to be the best deal it seams.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,159 Posts
Why don't you just anneal the copper and alloy ones you take off?
They will be softer then than any you buy from a store.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I'd be inclined to go to a NAPA store and buy them. They probably get them from Dorman Products. It's just a standard brake item, and cars and trucks use them, too.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
There aren't many NAPA stores near me, and something tells me they will not be able to match $28 for 56 washers. I will call them up today though and see what they say.

Just called P&A auto (the number I dialed was a NAPA store of Napa's website..but whatever). They only had 40 spread out amongst 4 warehouses and wanted $1.05 a piece for them. That's more than twice what Yoyodyne charges.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
There aren't many NAPA stores near me, and something tells me they will not be able to match $28 for 56 washers. I will call them up today though and see what they say.

Just called P&A auto (the number I dialed was a NAPA store of Napa's website..but whatever). They only had 40 spread out amongst 4 warehouses and wanted $1.05 a piece for them. That's more than twice what Yoyodyne charges.
Your worrying about money when all you need to do is go to a local auto parts store and match them up. The most you'll spend is $4 bucks. Why spend Yoyodyne's minimum at $25 bucks plus shipping to buy more washers then you'll ever use.
I just bled my calipers and annealed all the copper washers. No leakage.... Just hold them over your stove flame w/ pliers or your fingers if your tough....:). a little cold water, a scotchbrite pad and the world is your oyster....

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

See, now that's what I'm talking about lol.

ZDM, all the autoparts stores around me suck ass and don't carry anything at all. Case in point, the local P&A guy said he had 6.....what's that gonna do for me?

I'm going to be replacing the brake and clutch lines and banjo fittings on my 748sf with some more snazzy stuff this winter, and also need to completely break down and clean all the brake and clutch parts of the 748R as well so that's 28 I need right there....not just a couple.

I might also be doing a fork swap on my Thruxton....maybe...and if I do I'll need even more so they're definitely going to get used for sure.

Edit: Just ordered 50 from Amazon. I always seem to forget they sell stuff like this too.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
See, now that's what I'm talking about lol.

ZDM, all the autoparts stores around me suck ass and don't carry anything at all. Case in point, the local P&A guy said he had 6.....what's that gonna do for me?

I'm going to be replacing the brake and clutch lines and banjo fittings on my 748sf with some more snazzy stuff this winter, and also need to completely break down and clean all the brake and clutch parts of the 748R as well so that's 28 I need right there....not just a couple.

I might also be doing a fork swap on my Thruxton....maybe...and if I do I'll need even more so they're definitely going to get used for sure.

Edit: Just ordered 50 from Amazon. I always seem to forget they sell stuff like this too.
They must suck because you would think they would have hundreds of crush washers for banjo fittings. Just didn't make sense to spend a "minimum" at Yoyodynes for parts which cost so little.
McMaster-Carr is a great place to buy all this stuff. The crush washers are nothing special...I recently purchase 5 Viton fuel pump O-rings for my 999 thru MC. Identical to OEM except for the cost. OEM are $34 each, 5 were $8 bucks at MC!!!
You can get most everything like crush washers, fuel pump/line O-rings, etc., thru MC. Located in NJ they have fast shipping. I ordered the O-rings at 100am, had them at 1230pm later that same day.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
McMaster Carr does have great prices, but it would have been the same if not a tiny bit more to have 50 mailed to me from them as it did from Amazon.

At an hour and thirty minutes away I can't just drive down there for a few bolts lol.

5 fuel pump o-rings for $8 is damn hard to beat though. I guess it depends on what you need. I'll probably hit them up for o-rings if I need them in the future as that seems to be a good deal.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
McMaster Carr does have great prices, but it would have been the same if not a tiny bit more to have 50 mailed to me from them as it did from Amazon.

At an hour and thirty minutes away I can't just drive down there for a few bolts lol.

5 fuel pump o-rings for $8 is damn hard to beat though. I guess it depends on what you need. I'll probably hit them up for o-rings if I need them in the future as that seems to be a good deal.
Shocking huh! it's just a matter of getting the correct metric sizes for this stuff. It makes owning and maintaining a Duc somewhat bearable financially......:D

·
Registered
117 Posts
What ZDM said. Those washers don't "go bad", they get hard from being (surprise!) CRUSHED! Heat them up and use them again, they'll work fine. Back in the day old timers never replaced the copper crush washers unless they broke.

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Shocking huh! it's just a matter of getting the correct metric sizes for this stuff. It makes owning and maintaining a Duc somewhat bearable financially......:D
Fuel pump o-rings are standard inch sizes and are designated with "dash" numbers.

The o-ring for the latest oval pump is a dash 341 V70 or V75 Viton o-ring.

Dimensions are 3-1/2"ID X 3-7/8"OD X 3/16" diameter.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What ZDM said. Those washers don't "go bad", they get hard from being (surprise!) CRUSHED! Heat them up and use them again, they'll work fine. Back in the day old timers never replaced the copper crush washers unless they broke.

Rick
I'll probably do this down the road if I need to pull them apart again.

I had complete forgotten that I needed to strip down the oil cooler line and the lines to the heads as I need to clean them and mount them to the new motor I'm getting and they use the same washers too so it's a good thing I ordered so many lol.

I think I'll give McMaster Carr a call anyway though as I want to replace all the o-rings on all the coolant fittings as well just for good measure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts