Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replace my front pads to hopefully eliminate the chatter caused by uneven wear. That's what the dealer suggested.

Within 1 mile the chattering was as bad as ever. It doesn't appear that the rotors are warped [they may be] since the symptoms are rapid chattering, not a typical pulse causing by rotors..

Anyone else experienced this chatter and solved it?

·
Site Sponsor & Senior Member
193 Posts
Hey Marc,
Haven’t heard of that,
How many miles on her?
Maybe bevel the leading edge of the pads? 45 degrees, not a lot-maybe 50thou or so?
Andrew

·
Registered
11 Posts
On my '04 ST3, I always have this problem when I use stock brake pads, or any other sintered metal pads. I changed over to EBC composite pads and the problem has never reocurred - even during maximum braking. I'm not sure what it is about the stock pads or sintered metal pads, but for me they ALWAYS chatter during the last few feet of the stop.

As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beveling might help...

acpdx said:
Hey Marc,
Haven’t heard of that,
How many miles on her?
Maybe bevel the leading edge of the pads? 45 degrees, not a lot-maybe 50thou or so?
Andrew
Thanks Andrew. 13,500 miles. I'll try the bevel thing...nothing to lose. These are sintered pads I believe, EBC HHH. Brand new and chattering. And if I can steal some grocery cash from wifey's purse, I may try the non sintered version. I hate to ditch the HHH's with 150 miles, but the chattering is annoying.

·
Registered
722 Posts
You need to clean the rotors! The pads deposit a thin layer of themselves onto the disk and contamination of the pads and this coating will cause the problem you are having. You can use a can of brakekleen and an industrial scotch bright pad to scrub them down. Try that before anything.

Where are you in NC? What dealer did you go to?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Next time a scrubby too...

NCRick said:
You need to clean the rotors! The pads deposit a thin layer of themselves onto the disk and contamination of the pads and this coating will cause the problem you are having. You can use a can of brakekleen and an industrial scotch bright pad to scrub them down. Try that before anything.

Where are you in NC? What dealer did you go to?
I did use BrakeKleen on the rotors, but used a rag instead of a scrubby thing. I'll try that as well.

I purchased my bike from Matison's in North Raleigh [unbeatable deal] but mine was the first Ducati from their spanking new franchise, so I have my bike serviced at Barnett's Suzuki, also in Raleigh. They have more experience with Ducatis [and Moto Guzzis] and I trust them for service.

I tried to buy from Mike Barnett, but as always they hold their bikes in precious regard.

·
7,733 Posts
There was some recent and prolonged discussion about brake chatter on the ST"X" yahoo forum, and IIRC, there was some talk about banjo bolts, ie there seems to be an upgraded version that allows better fluid flow (but you have an '05 so don't know if that's relavent) and steering head bearing torque/seat. I'm guessing you've already tighten down the caliper mounting and caliper bridge bolts, rotor carrier bolts, bled the brakes, checked the lines, triple tree fork bolts etc. Good luck.

·
Registered
286 Posts
MisterEd said:
... but for me they ALWAYS chatter during the last few feet of the stop.
My '04 ST4s has started doing this exact thing. Brakes very nicely from speed, but within the last few feet of coming to a complete stop, the pads vibrate a little and make a noise. Not a squeal, but more of a low-pitched groan. Maybe I'll try scrubbing with brake cleaner as well. I only have 2700mi on the clock, so I'm a little suprised to be having issues already.

·
Registered
11 Posts
vincep said:
Mister Ed: I know you have probably done this before, but EBC model/part #?
Thanks,
FA244 front, FA266 rear.

Of course, the day a rear brake chatters will be the day I REALLY worry about the bike being broken - I just like to match front and rear compounds.

On a couple of other notes mentioned here - I tried the bevel thing on the stock pads ... no change. I cleaned the rotors to within an inch of their lives with the really good brake cleaner ... no change. I mounted a set of the organic composite pads ... problem gone. Wore those pads out, mounted a set of stock Ducati pads ... problem immediately came back. Bought another set of organic composites .... problem immediately solved again. Next time I changed pads, I tried EBC sintered metal - problem came back slightly different, but there nonetheless. I run only the organic composite pads now, having been through the experimentation phase for my bike and being not one to keep throwing money at said experiment.

I don't know what's causing this issue - I suspect a slightly weak front caliper mount, honestly, but I do know that for my bike anyway, the stock Ducati pads or an aftermarket sintered metal pad will chatter (well, "shudder" is a more accurate term for what I feel in my bike) and the EBC composites to not. Beyond that, I haven't given the problem a lot of thought - the bike stops good, doesn't vibrate like hell while doing it ... good enough for me :)

·
Site Sponsor & Senior Member
193 Posts
Your welcome Marc,
sounds like MrEd on it.
Could you get warranty claim on the calipers?
thats a fairly big safety issue-if not solveable.

If possible, pay the extra for the brembo 4pad calipers-
4 pads 4 pistons, per caliber. amazing performance, and feel.

just a thought.

also, I do clean my rotors. brk clean & rag once a month or so.

Andrew

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have experienced the low speed front brake shudder, too. I eliminated it by applying that orange disc quiet silicone from NAPA. It comes in a pack with two small tubes. Before that I did what you all have done by the way of cleaning the discs, steering stem, etc.
I want to say this is extremely slow speed issue.

I recently bought a different banjo bolt and washer kit that was listed as being for a Multistrada. This kit is to hopefully solve disc judder from high speed high loads. I mean braking from 90mph real hard. Its winter and I have not had the time to test it out yet. I am leary that a banjo bolt will be the answer but for the price, why not try it out?

Dave Harhay

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dharhay said:
I recently bought a different banjo bolt and washer kit that was listed as being for a Multistrada. This kit is to hopefully solve disc judder from high speed high loads. I mean braking from 90mph real hard. Its winter and I have not had the time to test it out yet. I am leary that a banjo bolt will be the answer but for the price, why not try it out?
Dave Harhay
My original post didn't mention this fact, but my 'shudder' is primarily when applying strong braking from high speeds. It is not altogether absent from low speed braking, but especially annoying and distracting during high speed braking.

Do you suppose that this 'shudder' is effecting braking efficiency?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll try anything now reqardless of cost...

dharhay said:
Dave Harhay
One more thing...could you supply the specifics of the banjo bolt and washer kit? Was it from Ducati? Does it require a new line? Or is it just the bolt itself with washer [quick change out]?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Check out www.braketech.com site in Products, check Maintenance Items, they offer an aluminum oxide hone to scuff the rotor surface. As someone else here mentioned, the pads leave residue embedded in the rotor surface. Different compound pads maybe in-compatible with the previous set, causing different surface frictions and low speed shudder. Maybe you don't need their hone, but can scuff the rotor surface with an aluminum oxide emery cloth then wash with brake cleaner.

·
Registered
37 Posts
mkrouse said:
My original post didn't mention this fact, but my 'shudder' is primarily when applying strong braking from high speeds. It is not altogether absent from low speed braking, but especially annoying and distracting during high speed braking.

Do you suppose that this 'shudder' is effecting braking efficiency?
I had the same high speed shuddering problem also. It was cured by replacing the rotors and pads under warranty.
Problem gone, and I hope for ever.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had the low speed shudder where in the last 5 feet of stopping the bike would shudder. They replaced the banjo bolt with the Multistrada recall part and it has mostly goe away. I wuld say about a 90% fix. I will still be taking Mr Eds advice on the organic EBC

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've experienced a high speed shudder here also on my 05 ST4s with 9,000 miles on the clock. I clean the rotors regularly with a rag and brake cleaner, but haven't tried anything more abrasive. Will have the dealer look at it next service.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The banjo bolt kit is Ducati P/N 69922861A. It cost me about $11.50US including taxes. I saw today that this kit in on some Multistradas and the Sport 1000. You can tell it because it has a small counterdrill-like feature in the concave part of the bolt head and it is black in color.

It would be great if it worked!

Dave Harhay

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brake Chatter...Follow up...

mkrouse said:
I replace my front pads to hopefully eliminate the chatter caused by uneven wear. That's what the dealer suggested.

Within 1 mile the chattering was as bad as ever. It doesn't appear that the rotors are warped [they may be] since the symptoms are rapid chattering, not a typical pulse causing by rotors..
I visited my local Ducati dealership today in order to pick up some organic pads and try to stop the front brake shudder. They convinced me to first try a set of Brake Pad Shims. I agreed.

They are from SBS and the package contains 4 precut shims made from several layers of material: rubber/glass fiber/rubber/adhesive. Total thickness is 0.6 mm. They installed easily once the pads were well cleaned and the shims cut to fit. I'll be surprised if they function as advertised.

I've included several pictures of the recently installed sintered pads with the shims installed.

You might notice that pad wear in the 150 mile shows a small area on the center edge that does not appear to have made contact.

http://www.pbase.com/marc60biker/gallery/ducati_st3

That may be normal for new pads that are not yet worn to the rotor surface. I'll post if there is any improvement.

Next: organic pads, then banjo bolt, then Ducati warranty attempt, then maybe K1200S.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts