Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... sooo I have put about 250-300 miles on my bike since I got it back together and Sunday while I was riding, I went for some front brake - and there was nothing... lever went right to the handlebar. So I look down at the banjo joint to see if the line was leaking. It wasn't. I looked at the bleed nipple, not leaking. So brake fluid was spewing out of my caliper, I could see it dripping, so I pull over - and one of the four bolts on each front caliper were missing?! and the other three on each one were loose! They had vibrated loose - So Im gonna put extra loctite on those suckers... But now comes my problem (I know I'm very lucky I didn't have a REAL problem when I had no front brakes!) - Ducati dealership can't order the bolts that hold the two halves of the caliper together. Ducati only sell the bolts that hold the calipers to the forks. Does anyone now where I can get these or do I just need to find generic ones. It is a 94 M900. Thanks.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hit up Brembo direct? Otherwise, pay a visit to the local Home Despot and see if you can find the right size, at least as a short term fix.

Man, that's scary. Glad it turned alright, because it sounds like it could've gone VERY south for you.

If you Loc-Tite 'em up, either use blue, or if you use red, go sparingly and remember to bleed to system out before you try to remove the bolts next time. You may need to apply a litte heat to convince them to let go.

Glad you're alright though! Weird that you'd lose a bolt each and the rest would be loose, though ... did you snug 'em all up to torque when you put it back together?

You haven't pissed anyone off lately, have you? Anyone with a penchant for sabatoging brakes? ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
On a -94 monster you have the 40mm C-C calipers, same as on my -94 750SS. I changed those screws sinde they was quite rusty on my bike.
It's standard metric thread M8 if I remember right. Remove one and bring to your hardware store and there will be no problems in getting a new one.

I used A4 stainless steel bolts and turned the heads conical to make them look more like titanium bolts. A4 stainless has the same strenght as the original 8.8 bolts, so spare me that discussion.
You can see the result here:
Large pic of bike front

·
Registered
923 Posts
+1 for safety wire over LocTite ... should've thought of that myself ...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Consider replacing the caliper. The casting could have warped some and or seals could be damaged. The new screws may well clamp it all together but safer is better than sorry.

Also, those are loctiteed from the factory, why were they loose? I would be wondering about stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.