Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm about to make the move back to the litre bike.

Going to close a deal on a 2010 1198.

Which means the Hyper-S is going to be sold.

I will miss the Hyper, it is a blast, handles very well, plenty of torque for the size of the bike.

Just miss the extra from the litre class bike, especially for track days.

Anyone going to talk me out of it?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
will try

Lets do the math first.

Not knowing what your bike is but Twikwop on the forums had a pretty nice HMS, trick out and was wanting $10k for it. $11k is probably the max for a HMS and HM non-s can be had for around $8k.

A 2010 1198 is going to run you at least (estimating) $16k and we know you will pop for exhaust and other bling. So, your going to be at $17k-$20k on that new 1198.

So,making some estimates, 18-10 = 8K your going to be out of pocket on this switch, if not more.

For $8K, there are a TON of really nice, little used bikes that you can pick up for $8k and some will be race prepped. Here is an example of what I have been seeing in the market place.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=71818

The 999 is no slouch and can keep pace with that 1198 for us mortals.

So, the short story of this is, keep the Hyper and buy a used sport bike. With just a little digging (nesba has some sweet rides for sale), you should be able to find a really, really nice sport bike and net out on the finances.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Revelstoker has a big point.

Plan though is to keep one bike.

Financially sensible thing to do would go pick up a 1098 used or 999S like shown above.

Decisions, decisions.

Maybe the POTUS will bail me out?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I dunno, Florida's roads are too straight for the Hyper. For high speed stuff,
you are better off with a fully-faired sportbike (or a sport/touring bike :eek: ).
Track days favor the literbike, too, as you mentioned. If I wasn't surrounded
by 100's of miles of twisties, coastal-range roads, and back-country farm
roads, I wouldn't have bothered buying a bike like the Hypermotard. Just sayin'!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Revelstoker is right, and he's probably even understating the true cost delta by overstating the value of used Hyper's a bit. Putting $18k into one bike and then running it on the track has it's risks.

Keep the Hyper, by a used low mileage 08 600RR for around $6,000, do rearsets, plastics, lines and VRJL pads and hit the track.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts