Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I just bought my wife a yellow 2002 Monster 620. It's our second Ducati, mine being a 2001 996. It's got just a little less than 4500 miles on it. It's not perfect... There is a dent in the tank where the bars hit on a tip over. I would like to get the dent pulled out of the metal tank. The prior owner said that the belts were original (!), and the oil looks as black as night. It's also very, very dirty. The chain looks terribly dirty, but doesn't look kinked, so I will clean it very well, and assess whether it needs replacement.

It is currently stock, and a little bit of maintenance has been done (new fuel pump and in-tank lines). I have ordered belts (thank you CA-Cyleworks), S21 tires, blinkers (because the PO took them off), iridium plugs, Pro Grips, and sundry farkles. Also, I'll be hunting for slip ons, because nothing sounds like a desmo twin. eBay searches on exhausts (Arrow and Termis) have not been fruitful. I'm also looking to chop the plastic beak off the back of the bike (depending on whether she wants it clean or likes the stock look).

Question #1 - currently the front tire is a 110/80. I have ordered a Bridgestone S21 in the correct 120/70 size. I'm hoping that helps cure the fact that the bike leans a bit far over on its side stand. the 120/70 should lower the front end by 4 mm approximately?

Question #2 - The 620 has 5 gears. Is there a recommended gearing ratio? On my 996, the gearing from Ducati is WAY over-geared. I went up 4 on the rear, and it's just about right. For the Monster, I'm a little concerned about high revs on the interstate.

Here's a pic from last night, stopping for gas on the way home:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Congrats. Sounds like you're on the right path. Changing the oil, rubber bits and checking the chain are usually my first moves too. After that I'd say just ride it for a while, see how it runs and see how your wife likes it before you do much else.

Definitely don't change the exhaust until after a few months of riding. I say this for two reasons, first, it'll be easier to assess how the bike runs with the stock cans and then you'll notice if there are any positive or negative changes after swapping the mufflers. Second you'll just appreciate the new rumble so much more after you've ridden with the stock mufflers for a while!

Regarding the tire height question I think it'll be between 5-6mm lower. Search Tire Size Calculator and you can compare the tire differences.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Awesome! I bought my wife a 2007 monster. I do find that I ride it more than I thought though. With permission of course. Does she ride already?

Make sure you get a pic together. With your other bike.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Make sure you get a pic together. With your other bike.

Things are a bit tight in my garage, but they do fit without touching! My YZF600R sits behind my Falco, against the wall.

Does she ride already?
She does! I got her a Nighthawk 250 at the beginning of the year. She began riding it after taking the MSF class, and has progressively gotten better and more confident. We still have the 250, which I moved out to our shed in the backyard. It's been a fun little bike. I've enjoyed riding it because I can twist the grip all the way to the stop and not break any speed limits. Riding a slow bike fast and still remain legal is definitely different than riding either my 996 or Falco at a normal pace and continually having to dial it back to stay legal.

Definitely don't change the exhaust until after a few months of riding.
That's actually some sage advice. My wife does NOT like the sound of a dry clutch... At all. She likes the sound of the 996 engine note though... I am (was) considering some Dan Motos with baffles for her Monster until I can find a set of used Termis or Arrows. New puts Arrows (and certainly Termignoni) out of the budget. To your point, if I keep the stock cans, we'll get a feel for how the engine responds under the stock map and stock back pressure before moving to something that flows more freely. I really like that open sound though!

Thanks for the tire advice. Looks like a properly sized front tire will lower the front end .16 inches or 4mm. That might be enough to cure the lean angle on the side stand. And as far as gearing goes, going to gearing commander.com shows that at 75 mph, rpm would be just over 5600. That should be okay, but we'll reassess towards the end of the riding season.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have the Danmotos with baffles (in pic). Great sound for low investment for sure!

Also look into adjustable footpegs. My wife's legs are shorter and being able to adjust the pegs up and forward puts her knees in a better position on the tank and she feels more comfortable on it.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any recommendations on foot pegs?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I got her a Nighthawk 250 at the beginning of the year. .... I've enjoyed riding it because I can twist the grip all the way to the stop and not break any speed limits. Riding a slow bike fast ...
Haha! Awesome, I actually bought a Cb250 a couple years ago and chopped it up a little.

Made a small seat out of fiberglass, put on shorty mufflers, opened the intake, removed some unnecessary bits, and of course lowered the bars.. and its hilarious fun to ride!

Like you said: Wide Open Throttle through 3 gears and still be legally cruising around the city!
The shorty mufflers and open intake actually sound great too.. >:)

^ Not a great pic of it, but you get the point.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like you said: Wide Open Throttle through 3 gears and still be legally cruising around the city!
The shorty mufflers and open intake actually sound great too.. >:)

^ Not a great pic of it, but you get the point.

Nice job! That's the nicest 250 I have ever seen! Great job on the cafe conversion.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nice job! That's the nicest 250 I have ever seen! Great job on the cafe conversion.
Thanks, first attempt building a fiberglass form, the bike still needs some finishing but whatever... its a freaking 250 nighthawk haha!

Just thought i'd share, you should definitely keep your nighthawk, so fun to push the limits at 30mph!

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just thought i'd share, you should definitely keep your nighthawk, so fun to push the limits at 30mph!

We're thinking about holding on to it and passing it to my daughter as a college graduation gift (after the MSF!). If I were to sell it, I'd have more money to spend on the Monster though... My daughter is really wanting to get a bike, and already has most of the gear in anticipation.

Reactions: GiantAntCowboy

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i've never heard of a 110/80-17. is it some sort of bias ply tyre? sounds a bit scary.
It's a Dunlop 205 radial. Just an odd size, which I will be glad to swap out for the correct size. I noticed that it still has the form nipples on it near the top of the tire, which means it's brand new. My guess is that's what was either 1. On sale at the shop or 2. Had a flat near a Harley Davidson dealership. New tires should be delivered today.

Now - I have to find TWO 30mm sockets to remove the rear wheel. LOL.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys have me shopping for a 250 now , thanks for nothin haha
They are fun! And cheap! My wife's 250 has the stock mufflers, and is extremely quiet - I can go wide open in the neighborhood without disturbing anyone.

I can't really do that with my 996. Early in the morning, the neighbors don't find the "canned-bolts-in-a-paint shaker" dry clutch sound nearly as alluring as I do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts