Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up my new Titanium 2012 Multistrada S Tour yesterday. I had a friend drop me off with my gear. Went through the purchase process, put all my extra stuff in the side paniers, and took her out for the maiden voyage.

I decided that a ride from Livermore to Mines road, up Mt Hamilton and down into San Jose would be a great way to break in the bike. When I arrived in San Jose, I wasn't even fatigued (well, except I wish I had cruise control). What an amazing bike! I was hitting the mountain at warp speeds all while at complete comfort. This may be the most fun bike I have ever ridden. It reminds me of my KTM 525exc a lot!

Riding into San Jose, I switched from Sport mode to Tour mode. Woah, thats a nice feature. Smooth and yet still responsive. Just that right amount of extra comfort for the freeways.

I made my way to Los Gatos and decided to head up HW 9. Took HW 9 up and over into Boulder Creek and then Bear Creek road all the way up to Summit Road and then HW17 to home. I was thinking about heading down Summit Road and then to Loma Prieta to get some dirt riding in. Though it was getting late (around 7:30pm) and I figured I better head home.

Here are some pics for the day.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One last picture.

Attachments

·
Señor Member
1,466 Posts
Awesome. Welcome to the club :)

Planned mods yet?

·
Registered
97 Posts
CONGRATS! I just bought a red touring model a few weeks ago. Its an amazing bike for sure. What did you have before this bike? I came from a BMW GS Adventure.

Lick Observatory? Very cool!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Planned mods yet?
Great question. I would really appreciate help in that department.

My main concerns are functionality and protection. I will be mostly riding my MTS on the street, but I will be taking it offroad a good amount. Maybe even a lot. I know it's not the best in the dirt compared to KTM and GS, but I will need to get it situated to perform it's best within reason. I will be riding very lite mud and various degrees of rocky trails. I live in Northern California, and I live in the mountains. Dirt roads are only a few miles away. :)

I have a couple high priority mods I need ASAP (I go on a road trip in 2 weeks):

• I need a GPS/Turn by Turn navigation ASAP. Preferably one that I can connect into the power of the bike. Also, it would be nice if it had offroad capabilities (maps, etc). My iPhone has TomTom which is awesome, but in my experience with my cars the iPhone overheats with any GPS app running, while the phone is in the sun. Not sure if the wind on a bike would resolve that issue. If the iPhone is doable, then I need a great mount and a way to power it (since GPS apps will wipe the batter in very short order).
  • Crash bars and/or frame sliders.
  • I need a tire repair kit and inflation device. My MTS came with one and this might do the trick. Anyone have experience with this?

Stuff I am thinking, but not as much of a rush:

• I have been looking at all that hardware all over the bike that is exposed and thinking I need protection for all that (offroad, etc).
  • My bike came with a 2nd set of front and rear fenders. They look like they are for the dirt. I wonder if I should just swap the ones that came with the bike with these and just leave it that way. Thoughts?
  • I am concerned about the air filter. How does the built-in one hold up in the dust of off road? Any advice/feedback here would be great.
  • I seen some awesome looking fog lights by Touratech. Anyone use these? Feedback?
  • I am also considering the Touratech side stand base. This is bigger so that its safer to use on soft ground.
  • I am considering the comfort seat for the rider, but when I sat on it at the Ducati dealership, I couldn't tell the difference between the normal seat and the comfort one. Maybe it's one of those things where you can only tell after a few hours. Honestly, I think the comfort seat felt a little harder than the stock one (just a little).

Right now Ducati is giving away $1000 in accessories with any MTS purchase. So I ordered the comfort seat (passenger), the 73liter Panier extensions, and the Top Case.

Thanks for any help and feedback.

·
Registered
472 Posts
  • I need a GPS/Turn by Turn navigation ASAP. Preferably one that I can connect into the power of the bike. Also, it would be nice if it had offroad capabilities (maps, etc). My iPhone has TomTom which is awesome, but in my experience with my cars the iPhone overheats with any GPS app running, while the phone is in the sun. Not sure if the wind on a bike would resolve that issue. If the iPhone is doable, then I need a great mount and a way to power it (since GPS apps will wipe the batter in very short order).
  • Crash bars and/or frame sliders.
  • I need a tire repair kit and inflation device. My MTS came with one and this might do the trick. Anyone have experience with this?

Stuff I am thinking, but not as much of a rush:

• I have been looking at all that hardware all over the bike that is exposed and thinking I need protection for all that (offroad, etc).
  • My bike came with a 2nd set of front and rear fenders. They look like they are for the dirt. I wonder if I should just swap the ones that came with the bike with these and just leave it that way. Thoughts?
  • I am concerned about the air filter. How does the built-in one hold up in the dust of off road? Any advice/feedback here would be great.
  • I seen some awesome looking fog lights by Touratech. Anyone use these? Feedback?
  • I am also considering the Touratech side stand base. This is bigger so that its safer to use on soft ground.
  • I am considering the comfort seat for the rider, but when I sat on it at the Ducati dealership, I couldn't tell the difference between the normal seat and the comfort one. Maybe it's one of those things where you can only tell after a few hours. Honestly, I think the comfort seat felt a little harder than the stock one (just a little).

Right now Ducati is giving away $1000 in accessories with any MTS purchase. So I ordered the comfort seat (passenger), the 73liter Panier extensions, and the Top Case.

Thanks for any help and feedback.

the Ducati GPS is a ducati-branded garmin 665. garmins are decent, but I think it's expensive. heh.

for tire stuff, I have these:

The compressor hooks right up to the battery terminal leads, or a battery tender jack. Compact - fits in the underseat compartment along with the tire plug kit.

Everything else, I'd say get DP or altrider crashbars and go ride and enjoy it.. You shouldn't have too many issues :)

·
Señor Member
1,466 Posts
I can offer what I did as suggestions on GPS and tire pump. Might not be perfect for everyone, but works for me.

I wired a power outlet /cigarette style outlet (linky) to the handlebar (bracket link) from the factory power supply under the left fairing. Lots of threads about that power supply, but it is keyed and pretty easy to wire to (I'm no electrician by any means).

I use a Slime branded small compressor that I carry in my tail bag along with a tire plug kit. Both found at Wal Mart. I have used it to fill other people's tires but not mine yet (fingers crossed). ADVICE: If you run the compressor, run the motor to keep the battery charged :).

I also got a DP handlebar bag (from the Hyper section of the catalog, about $40 as I recall. I can put my phone, extra ear plugs and the extra wire from my Garmin Nuvi that is mounted with a Ram mount to the handlebar on the right side.

I decided on the Nuvi/Ram mount because I already had the Nuvi and seemed like a good way to double the use and didn't cost much. I have since bought a truck with GPS in it, so the Nuvi is now dedicated to the bike.

So that's what I did. Might not be best but got me what I wanted. I also opted for a tail bag and made it through an 8 day 2500 mile trip with that and the stock panniers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can offer what I did as suggestions on GPS and tire pump. Might not be perfect for everyone, but works for me.

I wired a power outlet /cigarette style outlet (linky) to the handlebar (bracket link) from the factory power supply under the left fairing. Lots of threads about that power supply, but it is keyed and pretty easy to wire to (I'm no electrician by any means).

I use a Slime branded small compressor that I carry in my tail bag along with a tire plug kit. Both found at Wal Mart. I have used it to fill other people's tires but not mine yet (fingers crossed). ADVICE: If you run the compressor, run the motor to keep the battery charged :).

I also got a DP handlebar bag (from the Hyper section of the catalog, about $40 as I recall. I can put my phone, extra ear plugs and the extra wire from my Garmin Nuvi that is mounted with a Ram mount to the handlebar on the right side.

I decided on the Nuvi/Ram mount because I already had the Nuvi and seemed like a good way to double the use and didn't cost much. I have since bought a truck with GPS in it, so the Nuvi is now dedicated to the bike.

So that's what I did. Might not be best but got me what I wanted. I also opted for a tail bag and made it through an 8 day 2500 mile trip with that and the stock panniers.
Fantastic info. Thank You!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Things to think about on your new bike

I wired my old Nuvi up directly to the dedicated GPS hot wires under the left fairing. It was easier than I thought it was going to be. I mounted it like the previous post using a cheap RAM mount in the center of the handle bar and it works great. Probably not water-proof but I dont ride in much rain here in California.

I did put the front fender extender on as I think any chance to prevent a rock from hitting the radiator is a good thing even tho it may not look as cool. On that note I put the Altrider radiator guard ( looks good in black btw) on as well as the Altrider header guard. Barkbusters are a must in case it goes over.

I did not think I wanted the top case but I did get one after I had the bike for awhile and now find it indispensable. I only use the panniers for an overnighter.

Stock windscreen sucks for most. I got the VStream sport and the tall touring version. I swap them depending on where and when I am going. I find it to be an adequate solution for me.

I am probably going to get the SW Motech crash bars as I like the looks better that the others and I think I will too start to do some fire road riding.

Hope this helps..

Enjoy one fantastic bike. I've had mine for a year and I am more impressed every time I ride it

·
Registered
545 Posts
Great question. I would really appreciate help in that department.

My main concerns are functionality and protection. I will be mostly riding my MTS on the street, but I will be taking it offroad a good amount. Maybe even a lot. I know it's not the best in the dirt compared to KTM and GS, but I will need to get it situated to perform it's best within reason. I will be riding very lite mud and various degrees of rocky trails. I live in Northern California, and I live in the mountains. Dirt roads are only a few miles away. :)

I have a couple high priority mods I need ASAP (I go on a road trip in 2 weeks):

• My mods

DP crash bars- powdercoated red
    Ducati heated grips
    Ducati center stand
    Ducati hard bags-red
    Zumo 665
    Touratech zumo lockable mount-black
    Touratach gps handlebar mount pc'd matte black
    Phone power cable
    14t ft sprocket*
    Painted *carbon ft fender
    Gold ft racing axle
    SSR rear sprocket cover-black
    SSR rear axle nuts-black
    Driven Cush nuts-gold
    Speedymoto sliders
    Ram mount camera mount
    DP 100 rear spring pc'd-red
    OEM rear set, brake and passenger set pc'd in Matte black
    DP cf plate relocator
    Moto-Science mirrors
    DP hand guards
    Adventure radiator and cooler guards
    DP tank guard
    Dinali LED running lights
    Removed ft reflectors*
    DP rear luggage rack
    Rizoma resevoirs
    Ducati Electronic gas cap pc'd matte black
    Oil fill cap Gold
    Adventure Header guard annodized blk
    90* valve stems gold
    Naviholter mount

·
Registered
545 Posts
Do your research, i posted pics of some crash bars that did not hold up well at all.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Which ones didn't hold up

Do your research, i posted pics of some crash bars that did not hold up well at all.
I was about to get the SW Motechs as they have saved my GS many times

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
hey i'm in that club now too!

·
Registered
489 Posts
The tire repair kit that comes with the bike isn't great. Everything in it is great except the rubber inserts that rip easily when you try to plug the tire.
I'd recommend swapping it for a usual tire repait kit + packing a small compressor as mentioned by someone else earlier. You'd have to make sure you can plug it in though as the MTS's outlets aren't cigarette but powerlet ones.

·
Señor Member
1,466 Posts
... You'd have to make sure you can plug it in though as the MTS's outlets aren't cigarette but powerlet ones.
Exactly right. Which is why I wired in a cigarette lighter style plug on the handlebar as mentioned. Lets me plug in the GPS or any other 12v cigarette lighter plug type device including air compressor and save the OE powerlet outlets for heated gear or the like.

As mentioned in post 8, might not be everyone's ideal solution, but works for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts