Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my first ducati, a 2002 748S, I have ridden all my life but only have ridden GSXR's. I know it's a 748 and not a 996 but I'm happy as I think it's more of a love affair then anything. I attached a pic. It has 7200 miles on and had the valve adjustment and rockers replaced by Indianapolis Ducati so it's ready to go. But is there anything i should know about owning, maintaining a ducat that would be different then another brand of sportbikes? This is my first twin.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Looks great hope you enjoy .

·
Registered
630 Posts
That's a nice looking bike. Congratulations. I'm sure you will love your bike as much as I love mine.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm probably going to go through it this winter and try to do some mods to it to make it a little lighter to make up for lack of HP compared to the 996. Does anyone have suggestions?

I'm kind of torn with replacing the wheels, as the stock color looks pretty good, am wondering if I should leave them alone.

·
Registered
339 Posts
'm kind of torn with replacing the wheels, as the stock color looks pretty good, am wondering if I should leave them alone.
You could always get rims in the same color.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Congrats, dv8ryan. And yes, there is something very special about maintaining a Ducati that you MUST do... you must keep her warm and dry and talk to her each week throught the winter (and a trickle charger doesn't hurt either). Come Spring, wax her good and take her out as much as she likes. And remember, it's not just a 748, she's a "Ducati', like nothing else in the world!

I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Enjoy-Benjamin :D

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats, dv8ryan. And yes, there is something very special about maintaining a Ducati that you MUST do... you must keep her warm and dry and talk to her each week throught the winter (and a trickle charger doesn't hurt either). Come Spring, wax her good and take her out as much as she likes. And remember, it's not just a 748, she's a "Ducati', like nothing else in the world!

I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Enjoy-Benjamin :D

NICE!!! I will definately take care of her. I was pro stunter for awhile so it has been awhile since I actually cared about appearance. But this bike will be well maintained and polished. There is so much I'd like to do to her this winter to make her leaner and faster. Kind of like finding a really pretty girl who would be smokin hot if she lost 15 lbs lol. Anyways, any suggestions on some simple mods. I'm probably going to leave the motor alone. I'm not familiar with twins and would like to just keep it simple. But I'm open for any other mods that can reduce weight

·
Premium Member
12,442 Posts
The thrill factor takes much longer to wear off , as the smile takes a long time too,,

Enjoy , Proud Owner ,,, Get some miles on it tomorrow ,Dave Rexroth says 52 out tomorrow:cool:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice bike! I just got mine like three weeks ago and also came from a K7 GSXR 750. One thing with the Duc is it likes to receive my luv! I like cleaning it 3 times a day by just dusting whatever I see. Starting it just to hear the termi's. Ah what an experience...

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice bike! I just got mine like three weeks ago and also came from a K7 GSXR 750. One thing with the Duc is it likes to receive my luv! I like cleaning it 3 times a day by just dusting whatever I see. Starting it just to hear the termi's. Ah what an experience...

wow, I love the bostrom replica

·
Registered
33 Posts
You might wanna look at the speedcell batteries for a little weight loss. It's a little spendy for a battery, but I think it was around 6lbs lighter.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
NICE!!! I will definately take care of her. I was pro stunter for awhile so it has been awhile since I actually cared about appearance.

A quick word of advice... your desmo will HATE wheelies. So NEVER under any circumstances do them if you can help it. Research the oil delivery system to understand why.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A quick word of advice... your desmo will HATE wheelies. So NEVER under any circumstances do them if you can help it. Research the oil delivery system to understand why.
Ah, yes, I'm assuming the oil pick up is towards the front of the bike, so when up all the oil comes to the back, causing it to starve. I wonder if they make an oil pick up that shoots straight down. Stuntex made oil pickups for my gixxer that shot straight down, ensuring oil would still be flowing while up in the air. I doubt I will beat on this thing though, an occasional wheelie here and there I'm sure lol. But the ducati was my dream bike as a kid and I'm going to take care of this thing.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Good luck with the new Duc, love the color scheme. I had that color combo on m ST4S, there's just something about it.

Welcome to the club, there's no turning back.

·
Registered
369 Posts
There is a boat load of stuff online for lightening up the bike. A lot do the flywheel. The battery I'd keep stock as the lighter one does not turn it over very good in city traffic patterns. Not enough power for multiple starts. Wheels are a good start, the forged rims are a couple pounds lighter, lighter exhaust perhaps, remove passenger pegs, etc. Its expensive.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After reading yellowducking's thread. I think I'm going to go with some lighter rims, some carbon fiber bits. But the titanium bits like bolts, axles, the speedcell battery, and a few other things look very inticing! This won't be a daily commuter so I'm not too worried about the battery.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts