Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2000 i bought a new 600 Monster but sold it in 2003, money was a bit tight. I've wished for so long i hadn't, so i've kept a bit of an eye on the Monsters for sale and saw mine come up for sale 3 years ago but missed it by a day. So when it came up for sale this time i grabbed it. Carbon 916 front mudguard and sps full floating disc are gone but the Termis, oil cooler and steering dampener are still on it so happy about that. Lots of silver parts and belt covers have been painted black and most of the bolts are painted red :) Hopefully that won't be too hard to remove and not sanded before they were painted.

Trailored it straight to the shop for a roadworthy, belts and valve clearance check. Hopefully i'll be on the road with you guys soon loving my Monster again.

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
That's great you got her back! Congrats!! I'm sure there's a number of us who had bikes we wish we could get back. I know I'm one of them ...

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I sold my '73 Z-1 to my brother, who still has it. We are not on speaking terms, and he'd set fire to it before he'd sell it back to me.

Reactions: paulmm600

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sold my '73 Z-1 to my brother, who still has it. We are not on speaking terms, and he'd set fire to it before he'd sell it back to me.
That's going to be a tough one. They must be hard to find these days.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Initially i assumed it was gone forever, so just looked on bikesale.com.au for something similar. Then i saw it one day just down the road but i was going in the opposite direction, i wished i'd turned around and chased him in hindsight but at least it was close by, so started looking for it to come up for sale again. Then in 2013 i saw it for sale and rang straight away but missed it by a day. Then i noticed you could get emails for your search so subscribed to that and watched all 600 monsters for sale. Finally it came up the other day.

Pretty easy to identify, Red, Termis, steering dampener, oil cooler and rocker cover off a 900, underslung, then carbon stickers on headlight bracket and rear brake hanger. Chopped plastic tail, diverted engine breather. The alarm, 916 carbon front mudguard and sps disc, centre lift stand, all the bolts i replaced with alloy are gone unfortunately. When i sold it i gave them boxes of spares and plastic segmented boxes of bolts, all gone now. The only spare that's endured is the original front mudguard which is the one thing i could have done without :) When i picked it up i got a chinese container of after market indicators and the original rear reflector and some other crap. Not even the owner's manual. Anyone got one of those btw?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I did the same thing with my original Ducati Monster 800 dark. I sold it, regretted the sale, and bought it back. It never felt the same though. It still had all the upgrades I did to it plus a couple very nice ones but it just didn't do it for me as much. I had it in my mind I wanted a red with gold frame Monster 900 and my 800 needed to have a new owner. I sold it again and miss it but the 900 filled in great until a local shop decided my Fast by Ferracci built, 944, perfect bike needed several new scratches in the tank, both Forza exhaust's scratches from pushing it out of the garage and catching the brick with them, and tons of scratches on the frame from tools. They also thought it would be a good idea to leave the bike outside so the tank scratches would get some surface rust then tell me they must have been there since rust couldn't form that fast! It was all I could do to restrain myself! This guy did perfect work in the past, was always willing to help but something happened to him. I sold the 900 and decided on a new to me 748.

With that said I hope your experience is much more loving and exciting than mine!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hear that, such a shame when good shops go bad. Shame about your Monster too. I hope you have better luck with the 748, I love my 916.
Finally picked up mine from the shop yesterday. Carbs cleaned, they were full of bits of airfilter foam, battery replaced, belts replaced, previous owner had the bike for 3 years and hadn't changed them, new front tyre, new fuel lines and fuel filter, valve clearances checked although one still sounds a bit loose. I rode it straight home for an oil change, god knows when that was changed last.

She runs better than I remembered, such a sweet little motor, it was a pleasure to ride her home. The forks have been dropped, not sure if I like the steering so fast, I remember it being a bit slow :) I guess I'll try it out like that for a little while. I might borrow the c/f front mudguard off the 916 for a little while, I don't like the original one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts