Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, need some more advice working on my 848.

Can a bottom steering stem race be pressed off using a bearing separator in a press or will the triple clamp lose it’s grip on the stem first? (The dremel cut-off wheel method sounds too nerve wracking to me).

Thanks again for the help,

Stephan

·
Registered
414 Posts
If that's what I'm thinking of, the last time I had to remove that race, I threw the triple in the freezer, then heated that race with a torch. It tapped right off with a screwdriver then. No other tools needed.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I did 2 on some 900SS triples. I just used a pair of pry bars and small wood blocks. The race isn’t on there all that tight.

I pried on the roller cage about 180 degrees apart using the wood blocks as fulcrums and both popped off in the same manner with only a modicum of force required.

Easiest bearing removal I’ve done in a long time.....sean

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
the problem is getting inside the steering stops. you can uses a big cold chisel to push the bottom race up by hitting into the gap between bottom race and seal. just don't hit into the stem once it starts to move. or put a couple of dobs of weld on the race to use as knocking points. just not too much - if it goes cold it'll shrink and be stuck stuck.

i use the bikeservice tool - it's very easy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info all.

Didn’t know the freezer/heat trick worked for coming off since you’re heating the stem with race but I guess there’s enough temp. differential to make it work.

Belter, I see by the Bikeservicetool that a bearing separator will work, thanks. Some unique tools on that site.

Merry Christmas to all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts