Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

I have a 1975 900GTS, I just did an engine/electrial swap with a 900SS so i could have the desmo engine and the bosh ignition.

The bike started right up no problem, I took her for a ride to warm it up before tuning it and i got stranded and she wouldnt start up again.

i figured out it was my battery that was dead, so buddy drove out .... we swaped the battery and i made it home.

I thought it was either my voltage regulator or stator.

so when i had all my equipment out to start testing the output of the stator and the regulator etc. I noticed that when i flipped the kill switch on and off my neutral light on the dash dimmed signifacantly.

i put the volt meter on the battery (bike not running, Kill switch off) and it read 12.7 volts .... then when i turned the kill switch on the voltage dropped approximately 5 volts. So i have a serious short somewhere.

also whenever i turn the ignition OFF the spark plug ignites (a fairly weak one ... but you can still see it on a bright sunny day). its as soon as i cut the power, as if there is some residual power left in the coils that needs a release (I know its a bad explination ... but thats the best way i can describe it)

through my testing it is not the ignition, the kill switch or any of the wiring between there. it is somewhere in the bosh components.

Please if you can. tell me what the symptoms of dying components are. or if anyone has had this problem before please tell me. I've spent hours and hours staring at the manuals and diagrams to figure it out.

Thanks

Luke

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would be inclined to look for the problem in the wiring harness rather than the ignition system, especially where you are combining two different harnesses. You could try disabling the kill switch and see what happens then - Bosch-equipped SSs didn't come with them. You can always use the key to turn the bike off.

As for the ignition popping, mine does that too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have eliminated the possibility that the short is in the Hot wire that i have run from the ignition to the kill switch and then to the coils.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts