Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
SIDI Mag-Air here. Perforated for SD summers. Online prices were no different than the Duc dealer, so I went there for goodwill. Kinda stiff when new, they broke in fine. The ratchet/wire system is pretty good. Soles are grippy as hell.

My previous boots were Oxstar with zipper and velcro closure. Lasted 13 years with daily use and still serve as rain day boots with a lathering of shoe goo. Tested with one good crash at 60mph and they were fine after.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a pair of TCX x-waves. They fit true to size. I wear 12 in then is running shoes and 11 in dress boots. I bought size 11 TCX and they fit great.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
BOOT HUNTIN'

Are any of these ~modern~ (ie; up to date) boots rebuildable? Y'know, replaceable soles, replaceable toe/edge guards (or "tips" or whatever the hell they're called)?

For a very (very!) long time I wore tall lace ups, all leather. Granted, that type became "skinhead chic" at some point, but I don't care about that crap. What I liked most were that they were pretty much completely rebuildable. I also wore Red Wings (mid-calf pull-ons). Not the best as far as road boots, compared to the offerings today.

So are any of the new wunder boots these days offering resoleable features or other repairability? I know some of them offer replaceable wear guards at the toe, and I think there's even one other part that's replaceable but can't recall what. I'm looking for longevity here.

I'll have to go ~interwebs~ for purchasing, probably Revzilla or Motowheels ... mostly due to their return policies. I may have an opportunity (slim chance) to go to a few bike shops in Tucson between now and Christmas which would be a good thing for trying on different brands/models. But that's not a sure thing. Tucson is a 550 mile round trip for me. Adds about $100 bucks to the price of the boots when fuel and food for three people is figured in.

I've followed the "DAYTONA BOOTS" thread from beginning to the most recent post. They look like a good choice .... pricey though. I checked out some of the Daytonas on Revzilla, seems there are a number of models ... not sure which one to go with.

WARNING! ... ANECDOTAL WAR STORY AHEAD!:
In the military I learned to fill brand new boots with water and let them soak for a few hours. Then soak them again just before going on duty, and wear them soakin' wet. It was pretty brutal for two or three days, but they broke in very quickly. Three day break in beat the livin shit out of three week break in ... especially in a career field where you were on your feet for each entire 10 hour shift and expected to remain mobile/vigilant the entire time while carrying 50 to 60 pounds of weaponry/ammo plus radio.

.... yea .... so anyway ....

21 - 23 of 23 Posts