Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Boot Fitting

4K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Dr Zaius 
#1 ·
I'm in the market to add another pair of boots.

I currently have Daytonas and they run about a half-size big and are medium width. I had to go down one size when you do the US/Euro size conversion. I know every brand is different and in a perfect world, I could just go down to my local motorcycle accessories shop and try a bunch on. Unfortunately, there is no local motorcycle accessories shop without traveling 2 hours.

So, I'd like to know from your experience, how do the following brands fit?

Alpinestars
Sidi
TCX

Any others? Forma? Spidi?

#2 ·
I have Sidi ankle length. I have a fairly wide foot and euro boots seem to run true length, but are a bit on the narrow side. I ended up converted my US size to Euro sizing, ordering one size bigger, then I bought an insert. If its cold and I wear thick socks, I could remove the insert in theory..but I haven't had to do that.

I like em.

#3 ·
I bought alpinestars super tech- R (IIRC) and the conventional wisdom from the web was to buy one size largeer because they ran small.
Now in the past I wore a 45euro and am a 10.5us usually but some times a 11us. I caved as I found more information that said buy large over small and bought a 46euro.

If I were to do it again I would buy the 45euro, keep in mind I am not walking much in these these are my track boots and I want a snug fit for better control than comfort.

#5 ·
Revzilla has good size conversion charts. If you go their route, pay attention to the 30-day return window.

In my boot-trying travels, Sidi runs smaller than Alpinestars/Dainese boots. I have not tried TCX so no data for you there.

If it helps, I'm a 47 in Dainese Torque out, 46 Alpinestars SMX plus perf. In a Sidi boot the 47 was a tad small and think I'd need a 48 (store didn't have one for me to try). Saucony and Asics running shoes 12.5 (47 euro).

My Alpinestars boots hold my heel down better than the Dainese boots I have and have tried.

#6 ·
I have a pair of Z Custom boots, custom fitted to my funky feet. Too bad they don't do boots anymore, last I looked. They are the most comfortable footwear ever for me. They could also pass for dress shoes.

I would be looking at Bates for some custom boots. Pricing is competitive with off the shelf.

https://www.batesleathers.com/footwear/

#7 ·
For me, I wear a 9.5 shoe and seem to have good luck with the TCX and Sidi in a size 43. TCX used to be Oxtar boots BTW.
I am going to try a pair of the TCX Clima Surround this week and will give feedback once they are on my feet.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I love this place. I got answers from do it on the internet to you can't do it on the internet. ;)

But seriously, I did it on the internet. I found a place that offered me a free return for swapping out a size if it wan't good enough the first time. After reading a shit-ton of reviews trying to glean out sizing info for the different brands, I decided to go with Sidi. They'll be here later this week.

#13 ·
Which Sidi model did you get? Mine had 13 years of good use on them before the sole came apart last week.

#15 ·
My TCX boots arrived this week. They ended up being too big so I returned them and got one size smaller. They seem to run big because I wear a Euro 43 in just about everything and in this case a 42 was the right size.

#16 ·
I usually buy online and I read customer reviews before buying. A lot of people comment on the sizing accuracy, comfort, and durability. Using that info the boots I bought fit fine. I agree that choosing a seller with a good return policy is important, it’s not just about size.

#17 ·
In my case these are a brand new product so there were no reviews. I really like the boot styling, now we will see if they hold up 15 years like the Sidi boots did.

#18 ·
The boots I purchased seem pretty nice. I've always had touring boots without all the external hard parts. My Daytonas are ancient and still going strong.

The Sidis fit pretty much like all the reviews said about the brand's sizing. I opted for the smaller size because I fell in between when converting from US to Euro and it's prefect. The heel cup is a tad on the loose side so I may try a very thin boot bed insert and see what that does. Otherwise, pretty happy with them.

#19 ·
I’ve had to use inserts on some of my boots. Sometimes even cutting them in half and only using the back half. This usually helps fine tune the fit a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#20 ·
Must be a Euro thing because the heel is a tad loose/wide on the TCX also.

#21 ·
SIDI Mag-Air here. Perforated for SD summers. Online prices were no different than the Duc dealer, so I went there for goodwill. Kinda stiff when new, they broke in fine. The ratchet/wire system is pretty good. Soles are grippy as hell.

My previous boots were Oxstar with zipper and velcro closure. Lasted 13 years with daily use and still serve as rain day boots with a lathering of shoe goo. Tested with one good crash at 60mph and they were fine after.

#22 ·
I have a pair of TCX x-waves. They fit true to size. I wear 12 in then is running shoes and 11 in dress boots. I bought size 11 TCX and they fit great.

#23 ·
BOOT HUNTIN'

Are any of these ~modern~ (ie; up to date) boots rebuildable? Y'know, replaceable soles, replaceable toe/edge guards (or "tips" or whatever the hell they're called)?

For a very (very!) long time I wore tall lace ups, all leather. Granted, that type became "skinhead chic" at some point, but I don't care about that crap. What I liked most were that they were pretty much completely rebuildable. I also wore Red Wings (mid-calf pull-ons). Not the best as far as road boots, compared to the offerings today.

So are any of the new wunder boots these days offering resoleable features or other repairability? I know some of them offer replaceable wear guards at the toe, and I think there's even one other part that's replaceable but can't recall what. I'm looking for longevity here.

I'll have to go ~interwebs~ for purchasing, probably Revzilla or Motowheels ... mostly due to their return policies. I may have an opportunity (slim chance) to go to a few bike shops in Tucson between now and Christmas which would be a good thing for trying on different brands/models. But that's not a sure thing. Tucson is a 550 mile round trip for me. Adds about $100 bucks to the price of the boots when fuel and food for three people is figured in.

I've followed the "DAYTONA BOOTS" thread from beginning to the most recent post. They look like a good choice .... pricey though. I checked out some of the Daytonas on Revzilla, seems there are a number of models ... not sure which one to go with.

WARNING! ... ANECDOTAL WAR STORY AHEAD!:
In the military I learned to fill brand new boots with water and let them soak for a few hours. Then soak them again just before going on duty, and wear them soakin' wet. It was pretty brutal for two or three days, but they broke in very quickly. Three day break in beat the livin shit out of three week break in ... especially in a career field where you were on your feet for each entire 10 hour shift and expected to remain mobile/vigilant the entire time while carrying 50 to 60 pounds of weaponry/ammo plus radio.

.... yea .... so anyway ....

#24 · (Edited)
I always have trouble finding boots, which is why I’m still wearing a pair of ragged old Harley-Davidson cruiser boots on the Monster. Yes, yes, I know...

I need a 13, and sometimes a 13 wide, and those are hard to find. Even on Revzilla a lot of the brands stop at 12 or 12.5, so I don’t even have the option of trying a lot of stuff which catches my eye.

I think I am about to pull the trigger on a pair of Supertech R boots, though, as those do come in size 48 (US 13). I’ll let you know how they work out. I really like the look of the Sidi boots, but a lot of them aren’t available in 13 from what I’ve found, and I also keep reading they run narrow, which probably wouldn’t work for me.

#26 ·
I always have trouble finding boots, which is why I’m still wearing a pair of ragged old Harley-Davidson cruiser boots on the Monster. Yes, yes, I know...

I need a 13, and sometimes a 13 wide, and those are hard to find. Even on Revzilla a lot of the blots stop at 12 or 12.5, so I don’t even have the option of trying a lot of stuff which catches my eye.

I think I am about to pull the trigger on a pair of Supertech R boots, though, as those do come in size 48 (US 13). I’ll let you know how they work out. I really like the look of the Sidi boots, but a lot of them aren’t available in 13 from what I’ve found, and I also keep reading they run narrow, which probably wouldn’t work for me.
I would bet Daytona boots could be picked up in your size:

#27 ·
I tried the Supertech R from Alpinestars and loved them. Just a really well made, attractive boot. The only problem is that I'm 6'2" 235 lbs and even with a size 13 (48 euro) there's just not enough room in the calf. I could get them on (with some effort), but getting leather pants tucked in just wasn't going to happen. You would think that Alpinestars would make a size 13 with enough room for a big guy, but apparently they're made for guys with chicken legs and big feet.

So I went with the Sidi Mag 1 boots. Those are much more spacious in the calf area, but slightly less comfortable. On the plus side, I found it easier to flex my foot up and down for shifting in the Mag 1 compared to the Supertech R's. I'm sure the Supertechs would have been fine once broken in, if I had been able to get them to fit.

I'm on the large side, I suppose, but I'm certainly not what I would consider a really big guy. Considering the problems I have, it's a wonder truly big guys are able to get quality gear for sport bikes at all. 99% of the gear out there is made for tiny people or skinny teens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.