Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys seen this exhaust? Pretty good looking but not sure just yet... I am thinking on picking up an old monster for my son and turning it into a project... those might fit nice....:D

http://www.motocreations.com/

·
Senior Italophile
865 Posts
They were posted here a while back. Lots of peeps talked smack about them. I was intrigued by the idea. Still like to see what they perform like on a dyno.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Wow. Where do they have room for the baffles (says they're in there).

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
It took me a while to spot the pipe in there.

Maybe I could just take a saws-all to my header pipe right under the footpegs instead... ?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
their website lists a sport classic system - i assume it's for the '06 but there's no piccie...

interesting!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Pretty cool looking. I noticed they offer "regular" and "loud". My guess "loud" would be like being directly underneath the Tunguska meteorite explosion.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I like the look a lot. And I like loud pipes too, but this might be ridiculously loud. It's a fine line between pleasantly thunderous and painfully obnoxious.

Straight piped Harley's are the reason New York and other cities are cracking down on all aftermarket pipes. Will these be much better?

Still, if they can produce a set that performs well on the dyno, and isn't too much (or any) louder than Termis, I'd get 'em. Not sure how well they'll fit the dual sided swingarm, though.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I've heard an early set of these on a local's S2R1000. Yes, they were ear-splittingly loud. Wins the "Best straight pipe imitation from a Ducati" award. Although- I think he has a better baffle design on the production pipes. It was fun to watch them keep the right shoulder of the road clear of debris though! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I contacted them about the pipes a couple weeks ago. He was nice enough to send some pics.

Here's an e-mail I received from them.

Hi Mike-

Attached are one picture of a SportClassic (2006 swingarm) with regular BoomTubes.

Second picture is a custom exhaust I made recently and will do more of in mid-September when I have a 2006 SportClassic in the shop for fitment purposes -- it's a Zoomie / FunnyCar style upswept version of the BoomTubes that are perfect for the 2006 swingarm itself. I did a set awhile back for a SoCal Ducati customizer for an upcoming customer project he is building. (M900 Monster with 2006 SportClassic swingarm) I'm sure when everyone sees them, they are going to get all excited.

The S2R1000 BoomTubes from the Monster would look on the 2007+ SportClassics. But the 2006 iteration needs something special to fill that swingarm shape. I'm going to update the above 2006 SportClassic via the one owner later this Fall as well to the Zoomie style exhaust.

Mark / MotoCreations

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've heard an early set of these on a local's S2R1000. Yes, they were ear-splittingly loud. Wins the "Best straight pipe imitation from a Ducati" award. Although- I think he has a better baffle design on the production pipes. It was fun to watch them keep the right shoulder of the road clear of debris though! :)
Right after mowing the lawn I can have my son ride up and down the driveway to blow off the clippings.... :D

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I contacted them about the pipes a couple weeks ago. He was nice enough to send some pics.

Hi Mike-

Attached are one picture of a SportClassic (2006 swingarm) with regular BoomTubes.

Second picture is a custom exhaust I made recently and will do more of in mid-September when I have a 2006 SportClassic in the shop for fitment purposes -- it's a Zoomie / FunnyCar style upswept version of the BoomTubes that are perfect for the 2006 swingarm itself. I did a set awhile back for a SoCal Ducati customizer for an upcoming customer project he is building. (M900 Monster with 2006 SportClassic swingarm) I'm sure when everyone sees them, they are going to get all excited.

The S2R1000 BoomTubes from the Monster would look on the 2007+ SportClassics. But the 2006 iteration needs something special to fill that swingarm shape. I'm going to update the above 2006 SportClassic via the one owner later this Fall as well to the Zoomie style exhaust.

Mark / MotoCreations

So where's the second pic? Monoshock owners want to know.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Thanks for the pic, Mike. I like the minimalist aspect of them and the routing of the front header under the left side of the bike like the Termi and Staintune headers. A dyno run with the baffles in would be interesting. Zoomies indeed. Flamethrower exhaust tips may be in order.

·
Registered
323 Posts

Hi Mike-

Mark / MotoCreations

they look like they are falling off.....

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
they look like they are falling off.....
I'm with bassphreek on this one. I really like how it looks on their chopped monster but they look awful on the sport above. It looks like these aren't made for this model at all. I like how on the chopper the outlets hug right up against the bottom of the engine. I'll have to hold my opinion for when they have a finished product. I think that they could do well selling these with a little more work.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I agree, but.. part of it is the angle of the photo. It's taken from below the seat level and it's on the kickstand so you're kind of looking up at the bottom of the pipes and the gap is more noticeable. If you were up at a normal viewing angle it would look very different.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Given all the e-mails to the shop (and people asking me to reply online) , I'll quickly post:

[moderators -- please excuse my non-advertiser comments for now]

- The above exhaust was designed for the S*R series with a different swingarm. Clearance is for the swingarm on full extension. It looks much better on the 2007+ swingarms.

- 2006 swingarm will allow a Zoomie-style collector/cross-over and outlet configuration. (as another above picture)

- We are also doing a shotgun-style exhaust that will look great as well. Prototype is done and awaiting jigging to manufacture. Will offer to the S*R folks as well.

- There are some YouTube videos under our MotoCreations account. Exhaust sound / baffles vary as each is handmade per customer specification and thus each sounds a bit different.

- Power? Depends upon tuning and which ECU is utilized. Every system we've dyno'd has made more horsepower (or equal) then the other exhaust vendors. Non-scientific and not always back-to-back same day dyno testing though. Big difference is the weight -- 7.5lbs -vs- 28.5lbs for S2R1000 stock system. (I haven't weight a SportClassic factory system yet)

- Are they for everybody? Nope. Never intended them to be! They tend to be loud to insanely loud depending upon baffles / ECU / PCIII setup. But almost all of the customers who install them have liked them.

- One interesting tidbit -- the exhaust direction is unusual and thus you get reverb from concrete walls and cars from ones right. Thus at times they sound louder than they are but usually buddies riding around you will say they can be quieter than other aftermarket systems.

[end non-advertiser comments -- thanks!]

As for the SportClassics? Fantastic bikes. We have a customer project (2006) coming in here for a few new parts we will make for them. Then the bike will get a moderate revamp for the owners business for publicity reasons and a bunch of new carbonfiber bodywork. Also we are building our own iteration of the SportClassic (nicknamed "Orange Kist") -- new frame, bodywork, exhaust, triples, suspension, etc -- it will be instantly recognizeable as a SportClassic but it is definitely different in width and size and components.

We are out of the shop for rest of the holiday -- we need a few days off!

Thanks for the interest everyone!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Cu3rvo,

If you pull the trigger on this and want to unload the Zards, let me know. I'm right down the road from you.

However, I agree that it doesn't quite look right...yet. It would be nice to see the finished project with the 2006 pipes. It is sort of like the Quadbox idea, but with simple pipes.

Regardless, it has got to be LOUD. Off to youTube to check it out...

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I'm with bassphreek on this one. I really like how it looks on their chopped monster but they look awful on the sport above. It looks like these aren't made for this model at all. I like how on the chopper the outlets hug right up against the bottom of the engine. I'll have to hold my opinion for when they have a finished product. I think that they could do well selling these with a little more work.
Are you kidding? They look absolutely awesome! Can't wait to see the actual one for our bike. Great stuff!

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Given all the e-mails to the shop (and people asking me to reply online) , I'll quickly post:

[moderators -- please excuse my non-advertiser comments for now]

- The above exhaust was designed for the S*R series with a different swingarm. Clearance is for the swingarm on full extension. It looks much better on the 2007+ swingarms.

- 2006 swingarm will allow a Zoomie-style collector/cross-over and outlet configuration. (as another above picture)

- We are also doing a shotgun-style exhaust that will look great as well. Prototype is done and awaiting jigging to manufacture. Will offer to the S*R folks as well.

- There are some YouTube videos under our MotoCreations account. Exhaust sound / baffles vary as each is handmade per customer specification and thus each sounds a bit different.

- Power? Depends upon tuning and which ECU is utilized. Every system we've dyno'd has made more horsepower (or equal) then the other exhaust vendors. Non-scientific and not always back-to-back same day dyno testing though. Big difference is the weight -- 7.5lbs -vs- 28.5lbs for S2R1000 stock system. (I haven't weight a SportClassic factory system yet)

- Are they for everybody? Nope. Never intended them to be! They tend to be loud to insanely loud depending upon baffles / ECU / PCIII setup. But almost all of the customers who install them have liked them.

- One interesting tidbit -- the exhaust direction is unusual and thus you get reverb from concrete walls and cars from ones right. Thus at times they sound louder than they are but usually buddies riding around you will say they can be quieter than other aftermarket systems.

[end non-advertiser comments -- thanks!]

As for the SportClassics? Fantastic bikes. We have a customer project (2006) coming in here for a few new parts we will make for them. Then the bike will get a moderate revamp for the owners business for publicity reasons and a bunch of new carbonfiber bodywork. Also we are building our own iteration of the SportClassic (nicknamed "Orange Kist") -- new frame, bodywork, exhaust, triples, suspension, etc -- it will be instantly recognizeable as a SportClassic but it is definitely different in width and size and components.

We are out of the shop for rest of the holiday -- we need a few days off!

Thanks for the interest everyone!
Do you have a Db level for the "regular" vs " loud"?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts