1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Very nice,go buy a lottery ticket immediately.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
That's a pretty one, for sure!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would put new tires on that ASAP if you're going to keep riding it. Original tires are likely to fail or offer limited grip once you get 'em warm. Be safe and enjoy!

·
Registered
120 Posts
What a nice bike. Did it come from the factory with carbon fiber front fender and cast iron front disks? I use to have an encyclopedic memory for that sort of stuff, and all the sub-models, but I seem to have run out of memory...

Those cast iron Brembo disks are extremely effective, regardless.

I bought a dead stock '97 SS CR in 2010, and still have it. I like the CRs a lot in spite of the bad press. Mine's got 9000 miles on it now and I installed accessory mufflers with FE hangers, 70-series front tire and carbon fiber front fender. I kept the stock parts and store them carefully.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
It's an SP and includes the bits you mention and a few others (wheels, fork, alum swing arm, more carbon)

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to keep it as an "investment" bike, but yes, took it for a little spin, being very gentle given the tires. If you noticed the chicken strips on the tires, this poor girl hasn't every had a good work out. I'm considering putting new rubber on, and just setting the tires to the side to be spooned on if I sell it.

The bike ran so well and made me grin so much, my initial thought was....why the hell haven't I owned one of these before! ?

I think now I am going to save my pennies to buy a "rider".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm still learning about the bike, but as mentioned below, it is an SP. It was (apparently) a North American only model and had a few extra bits and pcs. I'm also told the Plaque number, you can go back to Ducati and find out who exactly assembled the bike, what day and meet the guy or his apprentice. Not sure if this is true, but I like the story :)

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
It was (apparently) a North American only model and had a few extra bits and pcs.
I didn't want to burst your bubble so I didn't mention that I think those front rotors aren't stock.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
W

Mine came stock with cast iron rotors just like this bike.

Bob

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I didn't want to burst your bubble so I didn't mention that I think those front rotors aren't stock.
In 95 when these SP's arrived, the parts supply chain from Cagiva was very bad, bikes were missing stuff and or warranty claims went unpaid and often with no other new parts for repair. New bikes did go out the door with "accessories" that were in stock already to dress up the bikes that were sold.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Bob McCarthy said:
Mine came stock with cast iron rotors just like this bike.
RockAZ said:
In 95 when these SP's arrived, the parts supply chain from Cagiva was very bad, bikes were missing stuff and or warranty claims went unpaid and often with no other new parts for repair. New bikes did go out the door with "accessories" that were in stock already to dress up the bikes that were sold.
Fair enough, I stand corrected. Thank you for teaching me something new today gentlemen. :)

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Galluzzi says the 900 SS is one of his favorite creations. He told his bosses at Ducati he wanted to "open up" the bike to show off the attractive engine. This was during a time when sport bikes were practically plastic-dipped, encased in plastic. You have a keeper!

Link to the Galluzzi interview: https://youtu.be/yhEp_jdiUog

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just.... WOW!

This was during a time when sport bikes were practically plastic-dipped, encased in plastic.
...like the Pasos? That 900 has the Paso look, just showing a bit of skin.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts