Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only recently bought a 2008 GT1000 and have spent some time cleaning it up. I believe the previous owner must have ridden it on salty roads then not cleaned it afterwards as there's several areas of corrosion.
The spokes are rusty - although the rims are perfect - but re-lacing the wheels with alloy rims is on the long term project list.
However what's really annoying me is the corroded bolts and brackets - eg the rear suspension bolts, front fork spindle clamp bolts, side stand bracket, horn brackets etc. All are corroded.
Can anyone recommend the best way of either re-polishing or plating of this kind of part? I'm an hour south of Birmingham UK so there's bound to be every type of plating and polishing service close to me, but I don't know what's best. Just a silver anodised type finish to look as stock as possible would suit me.
Any advice appreciated!

6,048 Posts
If you use a Bronze wool or a bronze Wire wheel they will clean up nicely.
and then spray them with anticorrosive spray from Yamaha called Yamashield
Works pretty good for wet and salt air environments. Great for spokes too

For plated you can choose Zinc plating for silver and Cadium for the yellowish Hardware The rear suspension bolt is best to Polish and then plate with Zinc or simply paint it silver
for the rest Buy some replacement Stainless hardware

Anodizing is only for Aluminum.
There are organic and inorganic. The Inorganic last the longest and will not fade but colors are limited
and There are some places that can tint Titanium and Stainless but it is a little expensive

I only recently bought a 2008 GT1000 and have spent some time cleaning it up. I believe the previous owner must have ridden it on salty roads then not cleaned it afterwards as there's several areas of corrosion.
The spokes are rusty - although the rims are perfect - but re-lacing the wheels with alloy rims is on the long term project list.
However what's really annoying me is the corroded bolts and brackets - eg the rear suspension bolts, front fork spindle clamp bolts, side stand bracket, horn brackets etc. All are corroded.
Can anyone recommend the best way of either re-polishing or plating of this kind of part? I'm an hour south of Birmingham UK so there's bound to be every type of plating and polishing service close to me, but I don't know what's best. Just a silver anodised type finish to look as stock as possible would suit me.
Any advice appreciated!

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
The original finish on the hardware/fasteners is metallic zinc plating (which is a bright silver colour) followed by trivalent chromium passivation dip which gives the irredesent blue/clear colour.

On the earlier year models the plating was the same and the passivation was hexavalent chromium passivation dip, which gives the irresent yellow/orange colour.

Cadmium plating looks very similar to zinc in that it is semi-bright silver in colour. The finished colour (yellow/orange) is purely a result of the passivation which is also hexavalent chromium.

Cadmium plating is reserved for aerospace applications because of it's toxicity. It performs better than zinc in marine environments.

Hex chrom passivation is rarely used in non aerospace applications these days because it is also toxic (if handled/used/disposed of inappropriately).

Electroplating in restoration of machines is a hobby of mine, zinc, nickel, copper ect... hex chrome for passivation can still be obtained if you know who to contact.

Attached is my old Monster with freshly zinc plated hardware. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for the replies - the zinc plating as on the Monster looks great to me and it seems like there's an electroplater in my home town. I'll drop in with a couple of bolts as samples and see what they suggest. It's amazing how a few corroded pieces can bring down the whole appearance of a bike.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts