Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh boy I can hardly wait... just did the air box mods and replaced the fuel filter and hoses and in a few hours I will join the FCR club!

it may be a wild ride with my 14:41 gears but I'll let you guys know in a couple of days!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I am thinking about doing this mod as well. Can't wait to hear your review. :)

39 or the 41s?

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Is this easy to do?
Is it a simple bolt and go?

I hear 41s are best used with a 944 kit and 39s are best on stock motors...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
To answer a few questions, he said he put on 41s, most people recommend 39s for the 750 and 41s for the 900, they make a big difference over the Mikunis, not having a choke is not a problem (twist the throttle once or twice to squirt some gas in with the accelerator pump, she fires right up. If she dies, repeat.) and last of all, they are an easy bolt on, except for getting the rubber boots onto the bottom of the airbox which is easier with the Mikunis. No downside (except for $800 or so). Cory, can you say 2nd gear power wheelies?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I miss the 41's I had on my '93. Totally wakes the bike up. Endless power, and as an added benefit, when you open them up, it sounds like you could suck a blanket through them. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
There is lots and lots of talk about how incredible 41 FCR's are on the 900SS. I am curious if there are any downsides to doing the swap (aside from the cost). As they say there is no such thing as a freee lunch. I have limited experience with FCRs and was curious to hear those who have more. Any feedback either on the street or from the track would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not free

Well they went on smoothly but I have a few other things to sort out like all new hoses, filter, and the clutch needs to be checked out; it may be a week before I "ride it" but the install was fun and easy, I got to use my Dremel to cut the top off my air box, and my drill to index the pin on the throttle to the clip on...fits the stock air box the install is a perfect fit and you get rid of some junk like the little breather boxes and some misc, hardware, so it is a very clean install.

So far about $1000.00....and a day tinkering... so there is no free lunch it is true....(i just wont eat for three months to pay for them!):D

·
Registered
741 Posts
Don't forget that little jet in one of the fuel hoses!
I think it should be in the return hose.

·
Registered
662 Posts
....So far about $1000.00....and a day tinkering... so there is no free lunch it is true....(i just wont eat for three months to pay for them!):D
All it took was one ride on a buddy's SS with FCRs and I was over ordering my own set of '41s. That was in 1998 and it is without doubt the single best mod for the SS. A bit of a pita when temps get down without the choke and the hanging idle has not completely been licked but overall a marvelous set of instruments. And don't forget they get way better gas mileage to help get some of your $1000 back!

On the 41s vs 39s, I've seen no definitive dynos results or other evidence to suggest the '39s are preferred over 41s even in an otherwise stock engine. I've run 41s from stock, to 944 to 944 with head work and now to a 966 build and they've worked flawlessly. Surprisingly little jetting changes required too between builds, needle taper and pilot jet tweaking was about it.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
I have experience with FCR's albeit on a different bike. (GSXR1100) They are easy to get dialed in. Easy to work on and are quite reliable. The hanging idle is a pain but once you get the pilot close it does go away to a degree. I played with it for a while and got close but never did get rid of it completely. Synch is a must. They are by far the best mod to any carb bike in my mind. 39 or 41 is usually pretty close if you have airbox mods. I ran 41's on a stock motor then after with a bore job, flowed head, race cams, and knife edged crank. They were solid after that with only a needle tweek and resynch. Yes, they are different bikes, SAME CARBS. Just less of them to tinker with for you guy's. Hope this will quell your worries or concerns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts