Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I believe the sensors for the exup are on the servo, full open and full closed, so there may be enough slack and stretch in cable to meet those limits. Or the ECU may not care about that, Ducati either, otherwise they would be fixing them or replacing them if critical to operationo of engine.
Thanks a lot, I agree with you, this shouldn't affect the engine in a bad way, but it's critical to the ownership change of the bike, can't sell it like this :)

I will go to my service tomorrow anyway, maybe after a cleanup he can make it work.
If he can't, than I will just disconnect the wire from the flap, set the flap fully open and secure the wire with a spring and hope not to get Check Engine Light :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Whatever fits, cannot be bigger than the cable end. Pull cable tight and measure how much is exposed from cable housing end. There are pictures and discussions about doing that. Auto parts store fastener trays are good place to look.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My problem is solved 😇

Took the bike to my service today, the guy was certain he could clean the flap-valve and make it work.

He used a syringe and a solution, in red color, injected the solution all around the valve, the flap, on top of the bolt that goes through the valve and the CAT.

Also used a plastic mallet and a little bit of force, light taps on top of the bolt like 50 times or so :)

In the end, the stuck flap and the valve loosened up, we were able to move the valve with fingertips.

The exup valve is back in the working factory condition.

He assured me it is going to happen again, but it's not that difficult to clean up.

He told me that the reason is the use of bronze material in the bolt that goes through the valve-flap.
Apparently they were made with copper material in the past models, which were getting torn apart to pieces, but could be replaced and wouldn't get the flap stuck.
Ducati switched to bronze material, not getting torn apart but it's getting stuck due to heat-friction etc
He says they haven't found the right material yet :)

I am wondering what was that red-colored liquid, definitely not one of those throttle body cleaners that come in a can of aerosol format, I will need that in a while :)

Thanks to all those who helped! 🙏

·
Registered
105 Posts
Probably ATF and acetone. The pivot shaft is bronze? At least your guy admitted there is an issue, my dealers and service Dept said it was environmental and essentially my problem to deal with, contacted a couple dealers and regional rep from Ducati and told the same. Haven't found anything in owners manual about servicing the exhaust flapper valve...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Probably ATF and acetone. The pivot shaft is bronze? At least your guy admitted there is an issue, my dealers and service Dept said it was environmental and essentially my problem to deal with, contacted a couple dealers and regional rep from Ducati and told the same. Haven't found anything in owners manual about servicing the exhaust flapper valve...
ATF + Acetone
I will keep that in mind 🙏

Yes, he said it's bronze but used to be copper.

My Service is a "private service" by the way, not the distributor's service, not a dealer.
Just a guy who used to work for Ducati, lots of experience servicing especially Triumph, Ducati, he works alone.

If you go to the official service here, they will try to rip you off.
First, they won't stop talking about the benefits of a "Full Termi Kit" and if they can't convince, then they'll quote for the pre silencer part of the CAT, for approx 1400USD.
Possibility of a repair or clean up can not even be mentioned :)
So the situation is the same here, as it is over there.

I paid him 50 Turkish Lira's (That's less than 10USD) for the cleanup and all.
He used copper grease on all the screws and bolts mounting the stuff back on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
After I removed the silencer, disconnected the wire from the valve and set the valve to open position, the bike was running as it should sir.

So I think nothing wrong in the grip.

But now that you have said, you have given me 1 more the thing to worry about :)

I am definitely selling this bike!

I have done 450K so far in 19 years.

The last bike was a tracer 700, did 77K in 2 yrs, never had any problems whatsoever, oil + filters + tyres + chain, thats it.

Did 50K each on a Super Tenere and GSA 2011 with ESA, no problems (Not even on the beemer)

Going further back, I always had Japanese bikes.

Never had my rear brakes fail due to heat from the CAT and have to spend hours every 2-3K to bleed rear brake.
Never had to look for special brake hydraulics with higher wet boiling points, I didn'T even know it existed (Castrol SRF React Racing, like I needed that information)
Never had my Clutch Master Cyl's piston fail having to order one from Brembo italy as Ducati "don't have a service kit" accoridng to distributor here.
Or have clutch slave leak (despite it got changed from recall) and have to order one from UK from Oberon.
Never ever had any clutch-related problems on any bike.
Now the exhaust exup problem.
On top of that, I can face other problems, like the TPS sensor on the grip.
And god knows what else I will be facing, that I do not know atm.

This bike came out of the factory in 2015 and has 28K (kilometers) on the odometer.

What were they thinking :)
HAHAAAA. Welcome to Ducati Club:)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts