Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've sent the 400SS's bodywork off for repair, fresh paint, and graphics. I would like to replace the screws and well-nuts that tie in the front fairing to the sides.

I have found 3/8" well-nuts and 1/2" well-nuts on amazon but i measured the ones I pulled off the bike at 14mm diameter at the fat end of the wellnut, where it bites in to the fairing. 5/8" is close to 15mm so that may work but what are you guys using for replacements?

Note: I found a set on Pro-Bolt but there's not a single well-nut in the photo so IDK if this is the right kit or maybe they just eliminate the well-nuts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
6mm well nuts should be readily available I find them even at local hardware stores so you might find them closer than you think. Look at windscreen mounting kits as well but be aware some of those will be 5mm. They do often come as a complete set with wellnut , aluminum screw and washer. Do not buy cheap ones as the rubber on the well nut will fail quickly if made from poor materials. A coomplete set of NEW well nuts would be the way to go on that bike and as long as you do not buy from Ducati the cost will be low enough to be worth doing.

·
Registered
616 Posts
the correct well nuts are still available from Ducati, I have ordered them for replacements on my 900ss, I'm sure they are the exact same ones for your 400SS

·
Registered
616 Posts
let me know if you want the part numbers for the correct well nuts --I can look tomorrow when I get in the shop

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m painting my Yellow 800ss Rosso Anniversary Ducati Red this coming winter. ( I need to change my username after of course)
I would like to know the part number for the screws if you don’t mind. Thanks.

·
Registered
616 Posts
call me tomorrow 386-734-2496 with the year of your bike and the exact screws you are interested in--considering this is something different from the question I was responding to. I'm in the shop from 8:am -4:pm e.s.t.--but call me dont send a message as that will jog my memory

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
call me tomorrow 386-734-2496 with the year of your bike and the exact screws you are interested in--considering this is something different from the question I was responding to. I'm in the shop from 8:am -4:pm e.s.t.--but call me dont send a message as that will jog my memory
Dude, he's in Japan. That's a very expensive long distance call....sean

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
So I've sent the 400SS's bodywork off for repair, fresh paint, and graphics. I would like to replace the screws and well-nuts that tie in the front fairing to the sides.

I have found 3/8" well-nuts and 1/2" well-nuts on amazon but i measured the ones I pulled off the bike at 14mm diameter at the fat end of the wellnut, where it bites in to the fairing. 5/8" is close to 15mm so that may work but what are you guys using for replacements?

Note: I found a set on Pro-Bolt but there's not a single well-nut in the photo so IDK if this is the right kit or maybe they just eliminate the well-nuts?
You're in Japan. Yokota I think you've mentioned? Either way, there are tons of motorcycle shops or hardware stores around that will have what you need. Have you checked Riding House? Ricoland? It isn't like well nuts aren't used for other things. Failing that there are plenty of other options:

Desmo Times Home Page - click on the fastener tab and scroll down to the well nuts

https://www.amazon.com/Omonic-Rubber-Wellnuts-Motorcycle-Windscreen/dp/B073CJVG47

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Insert-wellnuts-Motorcycle-Windscreen/dp/B00VASWJQO

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/11236642

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-M6-Rubber-Well-Nut-Universal-Windscreen-Fairing-6mm-1-2-Wellnuts-Wellnut-/231348368543

I could go on, but that's just from a 10 second web search for metric well nuts......sean

·
Registered
616 Posts
I’m painting my Yellow 800ss Rosso Anniversary Ducati Red this coming winter. ( I need to change my username after of course)
I would like to know the part number for the screws if you don’t mind. Thanks.
I am referring to this post not the OP and since his post does not tell me where he is from how the hell am I supposed to know---I wish everyone would put location in their profile info

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I am referring to this post not the OP and since his post does not tell me where he is from how the hell am I supposed to know---I wish everyone would put location in their profile info
My apologies. I thought everyone knew...his thread about the 400ss he found told most of the story......sean

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm right there with you bud---but this guy popped in from God Knows where and I was trying to help him without disrupting the thread--hince the reason I told him to call me so as not to screw this thread up lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks rennsportmot orrad. If I don’t call soon , I’ll call ya when I break it down for paint. I’ve noticed some screws holding the fairings on are not original (flat head screws) and some are missing all together. I don’t want to replace the hardware with Home Depot screws and nuts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts