Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced BMC air filters, red rubber portion turning to very soft fragile gum after use? (consistency about like a warm gummy bear)

I installed BMC filters in my 998 about 9 years ago, and have only put about 8,000mi on the bike since then (14,900mi on odo now). I completed all scheduled services (mileage and time) valve clearance adjustment, oil changes, belt replacements etc. Bike runs great, strong and smooth, no issues to date. Today while preparing for belts replacement (2.5 years), I pulled the airbox and removed the BMC Air Filters for a cleaning and recondition, I was alarmed to feel the excessively soft gummy consistency of the red rubber. Not at all like the resilient but flexible feel they had at install. The upper tab of one side cracked under very light pull to withdraw the filter. I stopped that pull and withdrew the two filters by lifting from the bottom as best I could, gently prying up with the cotton/oil pleats. The filter elements looked normal otherwise, no fuel soak, no order of gasoline. One corner of the rubber perimeter cracked through, which is visible in the photo. Anyone else experienced this?

I guess 9 years on a $250 oil/gauze filter isn't horrible but I was expecting better. My K+N in my ST4s has been going strong for almost 18 years with regular clean and recondition, and other K+N products in my Jeeps are equally reliable. None however have the same BMC red rubber that is"...used in BMC air filtering systems has a long life, is very durable and has optimum adhesion characteristics to all shapes of airboxes."

I hate idea of another $250 to replace these and face same problem in another 8 years but the mod is in place and not sure what alternatives are out there, not really wanting to return to stock. Oh well. BTW, I am running the DP ECU with Termi slipons in additon to the filters.

I wrote to BMC, but I have no expectation of warranty support.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can’t help you regarding the quality of the BMC filters as I have no experience to offer. A few weeks ago I fitted the 996RS large air tubes on my 998S and as a result, I had to enlarge the airbox air inlet holes. I looked at other air filter options but didn’t find any really suitable. In the end I made my own out of some 15x15x15mm alloy channel, aluminium mash and some Ramair filter from eBay cut to size.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great alternative, thanks!
2ea 300mm x 200mm x 15mm Universal RAMAIR Air Filter Foam Pads shipped for under $20 via eBay... something to consider. I'd need to modify the BMC plastic holders in the airbox or remove them and do something similar to your photo, but still be able to use the existing stock duct / air tube retention clips.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, you can still use the original clips. I’ve just helped my mate make some and they work fine. I just used pop rivets to tap up all the old, unused holes.

Cheers, Ian

·
Registered
6 Posts
My thinking is that the Ramair filter may not be up to the durability of the BMC filter but at the price, you could change them once a year anyway. You can get 8 filters out of the two sheets off eBay.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had the same experience with a BMC filter in one of my bikes, seems like it's a material issue. In that case, I swapped for a DNA filter which looks to be the same design and materials as K&N.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I bought a couple of BMC filters a few years ago. One I put back for later use. When I pulled it from the box it fell apart. The silicone edging turned almost to jello. Checked the one in my other bike, and yes, it was the same. From now on I am sticking to K&N filters, they are easy to clean and last forever.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts