Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
I tend to think all the manufacturers exaggerate their product capabilities! The Cardo isn’t perfect in that regard either - I try to start out with low expectations and am happy to be surprised if they are met or exceeded :)

I’ve just ordered the JBL speakers to go with my PackTalk hoping that the sound will indeed be louder and the quality higher...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Curently riding
2012 Aprilia RS125 - simple fun
2015 Ducati Panigale 1299S - serious fun
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S - fun fun

Kent
I always wear earplugs and the PackTalk is loud enough to hear even on my Monster with an SC-Project exhaust.
My stock Panigale on the other hand, was a lost cause. I couldn't hear the cannons of the 1812 overture even if they were fired next to me.
Do keep us posted on those new JBL speakers. I'm interested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been running the Sena stuff for about 4 years now. Started with a 10C, then upgraded to a 10C Pro recently. The 10C was fine, but the 10C pro has crapped out really quickly.

Unfortunately, everyone in my riding cabal have chosen Sena as the standard, and having the Mesh stuff is very desirable, so I ended up just getting the 30K. It works fine. But if I could convince everyone to rebuy, I'd go for the PACTALK stuff from Cardo as those units are actually waterproof.

It's not like we get that much rain here, but I do ride in the rain in the winter, so would be nice to not destroy my headset.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm actually surprised all of these units are not waterproof. I don't like riding in rain any more than the other guy but if I'm out and it starts, well.....that's what rain suits are for. I don't want to have to remove a comm unit for fear of it crapping out.

I had Harleys head set that plugs into the dash for years and never considered whether it was waterproof or not. I guess I just assumed it was. Plenty of downpours and that unit never failed.

·
Administrator
12,244 Posts
If you don't mind guys, I am going to move this thread to the Accessory Forum so more can enjoy everyone's input.

Separately from moderation duties...
I have some input on this because we (my wife @Focker and I) had a pair of Sena 20s for about 4 years that worked great until one got wet from rain and stopped working a few months ago. With the exception of its waterproofing issues the 20s has been good for us to communicate between bikes and listen to music.
I decided we should get the latest and greatest and picked up the 30K. Like @DaveK we have been super disappointed in that "upgrade". The Bluetooth intercom never closes the mic so get the pleasure of hearing everything happening to each other and not listening to music or silence. The solution is you must run it in Mesh mode which is fine except it has periods of indistinguishable digital sounds instead of voices. Another beauty with the 30k, when returning to music after talking on the intercom, to Siri or getting a GPS command, the music volume reverts to my phones default. This means when I have my phone volume (using my phone volume buttons) turned all the way up the music returns at MAX VOLUME with no warning. If I turn the jog/volume dial up or down by a click, it will revert to the volume used before the GPS/Siri interruption.

I am now deciding to either get a 20s for the one that got water damage and go back to using those or trying the Cardo Bold.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I always wear earplugs and the PackTalk is loud enough to hear even on my Monster with an SC-Project exhaust.

My stock Panigale on the other hand, was a lost cause. I couldn't hear the cannons of the 1812 overture even if they were fired next to me.

Do keep us posted on those new JBL speakers. I'm interested.

Well, my hearing is shot due to operating machinery on the family farm when I was young - way before OH&S existed!

So I was hoping that the JBL speakers and the audio profiles (equaliser) would help a little with voice frequencies and above.

The speakers arrived today and...

...I’m underwhelmed ... :-(

There is very little difference to the standard ones (no perceived increase in sound level) and only subtle differences between the 3 audio profiles (standard, voice, & bass). So, I read the product info on the Cardo website a bit closer and it says the 2019 PackTalk Bold, Slim and Freedom 4+ already comes equipped with “Sound by JBL”. Nowhere on my packaging does it say “Sound by JBL” and the included paperwork is copyright 2018 (although I bought the set this year). Nevertheless I suspect that the standard speakers are 40mm JBL speakers, just not branded as such, as the sound is so similar.

Haven’t been on a ride with them in yet but I expect the differences will be even less discernible.

An expensive learning exercise...

Disclaimer: your mileage may vary ;-)

Curently riding

Kent

·
Administrator
12,244 Posts
@ alliskr I would highly encourage you (and everyone else) to consider custom earphones. You will still be able to hear emergency vehicles but it seals out the damaging wind and road noise while allowing you to listen to your Sena or Cardo at a much lower volume.

·
Registered
37 Posts
@ alliskr I would highly encourage you (and everyone else) to consider custom earphones. You will still be able to hear emergency vehicles but it seals out the damaging wind and road noise while allowing you to listen to your Sena or Cardo at a much lower volume.

Yeah, appreciate that Scott but the reality is that it is not that important to me. I’m “old-school” and prefer riding in my own little world :) As long as I can hear the GPS instructions (either from the Garmin or the wife!!) I’m OK. Music is a bonus mostly for those longer boring stretches of road.

Curently riding

Kent

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
Depends what you want to use your com device for. I primarily listen to music so I wanted the loudest, Bose quality sound as possible so I went with Uclear Digital. Same functions as the rest, can be paired with other devices, good for a mile, lasts 12 hours, etc. Now they have a new version where you can control your device with motions from your finger rather than pressing buttons. Dont just settle with the most popular, do your research and choose what suits you best. There are a lot of options out there.
I wonder if they have a function for the middle finger?

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
I blew out my hearing years ago when I was a motorcycle cop riding a Harley police bike that was equipped with a foot pedal siren activator. You operated it by pushing on a small pedal with your boot heel. That action pushed a generator wheel against the rear tire, same principle as the small front tire generator that operated the headlight of our pedal bikes when I was a kid. The main problem with the old siren was when you had to enter an intersection against a red light while rolling with red lights and siren. With the pedal operated siren you had to get up enough speed approaching the intersection, push down on the siren pedal and crank it up as high as the siren could go, I mean to tell you it was ear splitting loud, even painful on the ear drums, but it was the only way to have enough siren sound left when you entered the intersection because as soon as you started to slow down or lift your heel off the siren pedal, the siren started to wine down. The only thing that kept it at a high pitch was how fast was the rear wheel turning.

When we took delivery of the Kawasaki Police 1000 bikes, I thought I died and went to heaven with the increased performance and electronic siren. However, I have no doubt the decibels were very harmful to hearing as well, but not ear splitting like the manual siren. Another contributing factor to hearing loss was no one wore earplugs, never considered them and the topic was never discussed. Like Scott mentioned, there were other negative factors that contributed to hearing damage and a fellow motor officer suggested some years later I should have filed for a disability rating for hearing loss because no doubt if you ride for any length of time under the conditions we had at the time, damage will happen. I never did file for it, but use it as an excuse for selective hearing. Besides that earplugs would have been disrupting and inconvenient due to the nature of the job and they would have conflicted with our helmet mounted communication system called a "bone mike". This was a sensor that was installed inside the helmet and rested on the top of your head. The sensor would detect vibrations from your voice and send them off when you pushed a handlebar button or when off the bike there was a module that connected to your gun belt that had a little button on it. You simply pushed the button to send transmissions. It was like yesterday's version of hands free communications. The clarity of the bone mike system was OK most of the time, but the sensor would be a source of pressure and irritation on the top of your skull but, it was a big step forward in safety and convenience because it made the handlebar mounted microphone obsolete. The bone mike was operational when I was transferred to motors, I can't imagine using the old microphone set up (with the long curly cord) while engaged in a high speed pursuit. However, in that case the officers would leave the microphone in it's saddle and reach for it by taking one of your hands off the grips to depress the mic button. Essentially you had to yell at the microphone to overcome the noise of wind, motor, and siren. You made sure your communications were short and to the point! Also, it helped that police bikes were equipped with essentially a manual throttle grip cruise control, the throttle return spring like on civilian bikes was removed. Actually, once you got used to it I liked it a lot because you could take your hand off the throttle grip to push buttons or what not and not slow down while doing so. It also served to give you some grip relief as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oh man John, what a great story; it bought back memories of the TV show CHIPs which we used to watch on the old B&W TV (probably nothing like the reality)!

I bet you’ve got some tales to tell...

Thanks for sharing :)

Curently riding

Kent

·
Registered
39 Posts
I too am looking into getting the new Cardo system w/ JBL audio. Anyone have input on these? Heard good stuff from the originals all over, i'm guessing this would be an improvement. Also like the slim version

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got to use my Cardo PB with the new JBL speakers on the weekend and I did find them to be an improvement when riding. With music, the higher frequencies (which I need) were better and the volume seemed louder (I even noticed the ramp up due to the AGC sensitivity. So I’m happier with them now. Again, your mileage may vary depending on your music preferences, etc.

Curently riding

Kent

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got to use my Cardo PB with the new JBL speakers on the weekend and I did find them to be an improvement when riding. With music, the higher frequencies (which I need) were better and the volume seemed louder (I even noticed the ramp up due to the AGC sensitivity. So I’m happier with them now. Again, your mileage may vary depending on your music preferences, etc.

Curently riding

Kent
Kent, thanks for your brief write up there. Definitely going to be purchasing one soon. The waiting game begins

Cheers

·
Registered
37 Posts
No worries Joey. I haven’t tried out the Standard or Bass Boost audio profiles yet (had the Vocal profile selected given that I mostly listen to modern Indie music as opposed to rock :). I’ll try the other profiles during the week I hope.

And hopefully your wait shouldn’t be too long - was only about 1 week to get them here to Australia :)

Curently riding

Kent

·
Registered
39 Posts
No worries Joey. I haven’t tried out the Standard or Bass Boost audio profiles yet (had the Vocal profile selected given that I mostly listen to modern Indie music as opposed to rock :). I’ll try the other profiles during the week I hope.

And hopefully your wait shouldn’t be too long - was only about 1 week to get them here to Australia :)

Curently riding

Kent
To clarify-- Waiting game for more fun funds :smile2:

Cheers

·
Registered
37 Posts
LOL, yeah, and the approval of the “finance controller” :)

Curently riding

Kent

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
Oh man John, what a great story; it bought back memories of the TV show CHIPs which we used to watch on the old B&W TV (probably nothing like the reality)!

I bet you’ve got some tales to tell...

Thanks for sharing :)

Curently riding

Kent
Funny you mentioned the cheesy TV show CHIPs. I was attending the CHP motorcycle academy at the time the first pilot of the show was released and they previewed it at the academy one night. I guess you could say we were the first people to watch the program before it was released to the general TV public. I also got to meet many of the actors the next year during our version of a charity football game. Eric Estrada didn't attend, nor did his goofy haired side kick. We could have cared less, but some of the other cast members were there. I never watched the show consistently, let's say when I had nothing else going on I would. I remember the episode when one CHP officer actor actually pulled his gun and pointed it at a threatening suspect. For some reason the producers decided the officers would never pull their weapons, let alone shoot them. I cracked up when the tag team duo would encounter a felony in progress or confront a dangerous situation, the furthest they would go regarding their weapons was putting their hand on it when drawing it in real life would be totally justified. I guess the producers caught so much grief about lack of realism that they finally allowed one of the CHP actors to defend himself, or at least make like he was going to do something. My take was the show needed some spicing up for the ratings. I met that actor at the football game and afterwards had a few beers with him at a post event party. Nice guy.

·
Administrator
12,244 Posts
thanks for all the input. I've decided to go with the Cardo Packtalk JBL.
Please let us know how this works out for you, I just picked up a pair to try and would like to have your impressions.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Please let us know how this works out for you, I just picked up a pair to try and would like to have your impressions.
sure thing, probably be a bit before I actually make the purchase but this is the one I'm going with

21 - 40 of 42 Posts