Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a pair of head sets so we can communicate as well as listen to music, phone or GPS. On my Harley we had a wired head set that plugged into the bike.

Is Sena the best choice here? How does the Ducati offering compare?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've got a Sena 10s

https://www.sena.com/product/10s

I use it with a set of S-Plug ear buds

https://www.plugup.com/the_S_plug_stereo_earbuds_s/67.htm

It is a great unit and 2 of my buddies have them as well. One guy actually has an older model and we all pair up without issue. It can take a little bit to figure out the sequence of connecting when there are 3 or more people but it is pretty straight forward.

I have placed and taken calls and people don't realize I'm on the motorcycle. The bluetooth communication between units works well with a decent range. But it is line of sight for sure. Once you get more than 1/4 mile away from somebody, it starts to cut out.

Music works great as well and I have it paired with my phone. You press one button and tell google (if you use Android) to play music. The jog dial is fairly intuitive once you learn what the different buttons do.

The only complaint I have at this point is I tried to update the firmware and the unit stopped working so I ended up reverting back to the previous version. Not sure if they fixed that issue or not.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Another vote for Sena 10S. Pairs flawlessly with my riding buddies bluetooth headsets and works great for phone calls and music, not that I want to take phone calls while riding. :grin2:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Was looking at that unit as well as the 20s (I think it is), it's a lot more expensive tho but has longer range.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 20s Evo and I got my daughter a 10s for when she rides pillion. They pair easily with each and our phones and work well for coms but I usually get told by my daughter to stop talking so she can listen to her music lol. I have only answered a couple of phone calls in the two years of use but the calls are clear and the other person had no idea I was on the bike. If I were to do it again I wouldn't have paid extra for the 20s because the voice command function sucks (which is the reason why I got it rather than the 10s). The speakers that come with them are not the greatest so I replaced mine with the Uclear drop in speakers which were better and now I switched to earbuds which is even better. At this point now I think I would really look at the Cardo Pack Talk because the reviews lately have them rated better than Sena.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would highly recommend checking out fort9's reviews of different BT units on youtube. He says Cardo's offer far better units. I have the Cardo Pac talk slim and a Sena 3s. If I am just going to listen to music or just pair with one person, I prefer my Sena 3s because of it's simplicity.

I can access siri with just my voice to talk with my Cardo which is nice when it works, but it's terrible when you're riding at freeway speeds. And my cardo has lots of features, but there are so many buttons and combinations of buttons that I can never get the thing to do what I want without stopping, pulling up the directions and messing with it for 10 minutes. The buttons are way to small to use with gloves.

So if you're just pairing with a partner, or listening to GPS/music, chose the simplest device you can find. I really like my 3s.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cardo Packtalk Bold Duo works just fine for myself and wife (on seperate bikes). Pairs fine with Multi and iPhone (and/or Garmin Zumo) (Cardo is limited to 2 BT channels so can’t pair all 3 at same time). DMC mode is mostly good with disconnects/reconnects when out of/into range as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Curently riding
2012 Aprilia RS125 - simple fun
2015 Ducati Panigale 1299S - serious fun
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S - fun fun

Kent

·
Registered
475 Posts
Another vote for the Sena 10s. I ride with 3 friends, we get a good 12 hours talk time on a charge. Good clean communication. Can talk to people on the cell phone and they have no idea you're on the bike. Plenty of volume too considering I ride with ear plugs.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you're planning on integrating with the DMS system Ducati implemented on the 2015+ models, stay away from Sena. Sena's implementation of the AVRCP protocol within Bluetooth is not fully compatible with the DMS system. You'll get track control via the DMS system, and the ability to answer/end phone calls. You'll lose the ability to control anything other than volume from the Sena unit, and the DMS handlebar controls won't control volume, on either the Sena or your phone. It's basically half-functionality that always reminds you it doesn't work real well.

I've tried this with multiple Sena headsets and multiple phones, both Android and iPhone. The common denominator is the Sena Bluetooth stack. Cardo users seem to have no issues.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm looking for a pair of head sets so we can communicate as well as listen to music, phone or GPS.
I have a Cardo Palk Talk which works with the Ducati system. It connects two headsets ,phone and GPS and displays callers, text notification, plays music and FM radio. The phone info is good but the music functions could be better but it works. The nice feature of the Cardo is the self healing network between riders.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input guys. I had never heard of the Cardo before this post. Looks like I'll have to do a little homework before I decide.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Depends what you want to use your com device for. I primarily listen to music so I wanted the loudest, Bose quality sound as possible so I went with Uclear Digital. Same functions as the rest, can be paired with other devices, good for a mile, lasts 12 hours, etc. Now they have a new version where you can control your device with motions from your finger rather than pressing buttons. Dont just settle with the most popular, do your research and choose what suits you best. There are a lot of options out there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Depends what you want to use your com device for. I primarily listen to music so I wanted the loudest, Bose quality sound as possible so I went with Uclear Digital. Same functions as the rest, can be paired with other devices, good for a mile, lasts 12 hours, etc. Now they have a new version where you can control your device with motions from your finger rather than pressing buttons. Dont just settle with the most popular, do your research and choose what suits you best. There are a lot of options out there.

Another choice I've not heard of. Thanks

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
I have no need or desire to talk to anyone. All I want is some decent Bluetooth ear buds for music. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use a Sena 20S as well. I mostly went with Sena as the rest of my friends have Sena's as well so it was just easier to pair with them.
I find the Sena always works well. Intercoms are good, pairs easily, battery lasts a long time.
I mostly use it for music and since I always also wear earplugs to block wind noise I find the Sena has a bit of trouble making music loud enough to overcome the earplugs but comms always are fine. If you don't wear plugs it'll be more than loud enough. Pairs fine with my 16 DVT (unknown if the volume swtiches work as I never use them, however the Sena wheel works excellent to quickly turn up/down music or I just pause it).
Radio FM works well also and I find myself using it often when I get tired of my usual playlists.

·
Premium Member
3,365 Posts
I bought the Sena 30k and have been very disappointed with it's poor performance... we bought them to get the mesh network but that's essentially non-functional (lags, fails to connect, drops connections that can only be fixed by power cycling the headset).

It works OK in bluetooth mode but that just makes the $350 headset the equivalent of $100 headsets.

Needless to say... I'll not be buying Sena again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I tend to think all the manufacturers exaggerate their product capabilities! The Cardo isn’t perfect in that regard either - I try to start out with low expectations and am happy to be surprised if they are met or exceeded :)

I’ve just ordered the JBL speakers to go with my PackTalk hoping that the sound will indeed be louder and the quality higher...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Curently riding
2012 Aprilia RS125 - simple fun
2015 Ducati Panigale 1299S - serious fun
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S - fun fun

Kent

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have no need or desire to talk to anyone. All I want is some decent Bluetooth ear buds for music. Any suggestions?
I don't have a suggestion for bluetooth ear buds but these plug-in S-Plugs are amazing and it looks like they sell a bluetooth receiver for them

https://www.plugup.com/the_S_plug_stereo_earbuds_s/67.htm

The plugs are pricey but they are the only ones I have found that are comfortable enough to wear in my ear for hours. Every other off the shelf ear bud I tried was just too bulky.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts