Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang, so I'm about to head off on a tour of the south/south east. And while researching roads I've seen a lot of favorable trip reports on taking the BRP from VA to NC. My question is that the road reports I've found elsewhere on line are largely from a community of Cruiser-centric riders that seem to enjoy the 45mph speed limit. While I'm in no means looking for a track day tempo, I'm also not planning on 400 miles of snails pace meandering. If any of you are familiar with the BRP from say, Wytheville VA to Asheville NC I'd love to hear your perspective on it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
BRP is a very nice ride. Beware of snow at highest elevation and "Leafers" in the fall.

t_bare

·
Premium Member
3,757 Posts
BRP is definitely a must if you've never ridden it before... the 45mph limit is not a huge issue (unless you're a rider who's always got to be balls out) though it does make the ride about the views rather than the road. We find that after a couple hours we get bored... but if you're willing to take some side roads, there are a LOT of fun roads climbing up to the BRP... so we'll loaf along with the crusiers for a while then take one of the access roads down and back up (or sometimes down and then up a few miles further on). Those roads wake us up and let us have some fun as we work our way south or north.

It's not a road for anyone who's in a hurry... so give yourself lots of time.

·
Registered
786 Posts
BRP was a slo-mo cage parade when I rode it decades back. did the whole length, and it was beautiful. but slow. If you prefer a proper pace, get some time in down the canyon roads off the mountain and find some great local villages, awesome smoked ham and a breakfast of brains & eggs. Not that brave, I stuck with the eggs, grits, smoked ham, biscuits and gravy.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I highly recommend. Did a section a couple of weeks ago.
Start early in the morning and traffic and speed limits are less of an issue. Plenty of opportunities to make safe passing also.
Some really good feeder roads to explore.

Do it!

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,844 Posts
Do you mean 28? All the way from Deals Gap to Franklin is one of my favorites.

I've ridden the BRP from Front Royal all the way to Deals Gap twice now. One time was incredible all the way. No traffic or cops. The other was during Memorial Day weekend and it sucked. It's a fantastic ride but you need to pick when doing it to avoid holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
When and where are important.

Traffic will lessen your good time, so avoid when you can. Weekdays are better. Try to avoid the more popular areas during peak usage times. This past Saturday, I went for a picnic at the 295.9 and it was quite crowded because all of the many attractions that are packed into that one area. This can be problematic for riders because there are a lot of people not giving the best attention to the road and many drivers turning around. That said, we walked 10 minutes up an old road and felt like we were totally isolated.

Sound planning will pay off in the long run. Some riders just like to ride. Others like to stop at some of the places and explore. If you like to do that sort of thing, I suggest that you learn about the best spots and plan around them. You will ride right by the best things to see if you don't plan ahead for them. There are few signs to tip you off.

Off parkway rides, at least in my area, are awesome and just a short distance from the route. Extremely rewarding. If you want more info, just ask.

Best wishes for a good ride.
[/URL][/IMG]

IMO, the best stretch of riding is from Asheville to Cherokee.

·
Premium Member
3,757 Posts
IMO, the best stretch of riding is from Asheville to Cherokee.
I guess I didn't notice any areas being a lot better or worse... there were some stretches in the middle that were thin on mountain views. At the north end there are a lot of outlooks and for even more you can hit Skyline Drive which is really nice... but at 35mph and generally heavier traffic it's brain numbingly slow.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
We did it from Cherokee to Little Switzerland, loved it. We hit it on a Wednesday or Thursday, early Am, had traffic at the start then it cleared out and we maintained above posted for what seemed like hours. Stopped at some mountain resort for a break.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Roads around the parkway in NC are great... google The rattlesnake around Little Switzerland and my favorite 151 Just off of the parkway ...and if you keep going 28 is a blast!! Up around the BRP nearly daily. .. Great rides
[ame]https://youtu.be/6_uKjdBGTVg?t=1m36s[/ame]

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks every body! It's gonna be tough getting to sleep tonight. Tomorrow I'm taking a red eye into Kentucky, pick up the bike from the shop and cross the river into Ohio. Pop across into Huntington WV and take the back roads down to Wythville Va. Stay there for the night and then Thursday we roll the BRP all the way to Asheville NC for 2 nights giving me plenty of time to hit all the surrounding bucket list rides before looping into Tenn, and beyond. Hopefully I'll figure out how to format and upload photo's and posts from my phone along the way. Can't wait!

·
Official Retired Person
7,293 Posts
I've done both the Skyline and BRP a couple of times. Both are must ride roads, IMO. Weekends and Fall have more cage traffic (as mentioned previously) and if you can manage it, the week after the 4th of July has the least amount of cage traffic. I don't know why that is but I've seen it and been told it (by people living really close to the BRP) several times.

Did I just spill the beans? :frown2:

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,844 Posts
It wasn't that cold when I was there. I've been colder crossing the Cherohala. But yea, on the way up I put on an extra layer. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am a fan of the Parkway (to say the least) I have about 30+ round trips (Cherokee to Front Royal and back) on various motorcycles over the last 17 years, have hiked a large number of the hikes along the way, bicycled most of the Parkway North to South and know people and places all along this great linear park.

I will be up there on my 796 in a couple of weeks for a few days of riding in the Blowing Rock area and south.

If you have to be on the east coast of the USA, it don't get much better than the Parkway and surrounding roads, it is a veritable motorcycle theme park.

Check out the roundel on my 07 GS in the second picture!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts