Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the Rizoma 'see me' thing for the cambelt covers, it was a bit of a bitch to put in, but more importantly it will need to be pulled of occassionally for cleaning. The main culprit was that engine to airbox tube.

That lower-case to airbox tube...obviously an emission (?) thing...can I just remove that tube, put a short line on the engine with an air filter, and close the airbox opening? It serves no other purpose, no?

ps I'm sick as a dog and have a fever I HATE CANADA DAMN WEATHER

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
It's the crankcase vent; more to it than just an emissions thing. You are best off leaving it the way it is, but you can do as you say... either cap the breather with a filter, or run a tube with a filter. You run a pretty good risk of oiling your rear tire tho... and that's never a good thing.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the crankcase vent; more to it than just an emissions thing. You are best off leaving it the way it is, but you can do as you say... either cap the breather with a filter, or run a tube with a filter. You run a pretty good risk of oiling your rear tire tho... and that's never a good thing.
Thanks man. What are the chances of that as a street rider?

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Are you looking for a percentage?

What are the chances you are willing to accept regarding getting oil on your back tire?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you looking for a percentage?

What are the chances you are willing to accept regarding getting oil on your back tire?

ok case closed lol.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I once did this silly little mod to my 900SS. Admittedly, it looked cool with the old air cooled engines. The fine mist of oil all over the rear of the bike was not so cool. Needless to say, it was quickly reverted back to the OEM setup. Honestly, the chances of it oiling the tire are better than it not oiling the tire. It's just a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Thanks for that information posted.
Looks like im plumbing my crank case breather backinto my intake track on my jeep.
Never could figure why that dang thing blew out so much oil.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the delay, guys, been sick. I couldn't have imagined this thread would yield such amazing information, so thanks!

I certainly won't do the mod, I'll just pull the OEM rubber when I need to clean the cover...

Thanks again:)

Shawn

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My dad uses a filter on his carbie SS crankcase vent and I just have a tube that runs upwards to vent it on my laverda. Never have any troubles with oil mist (however the SS has the filter all the way in the back of the seat so the mist would end up behind the rear wheel).
About the negative crankpressure... no clue about that :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts