Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Have been trying to replace my pirelli phantoms but there does not seem to be any in the uk whatsoever!I understand there are some in the usa but cost would be a problem my friend having just paid over £200 for just a front tyre.I know you will all say these tyres are rubbish but i like them!Maybe someone could suggest a tyre with a retro pattern on it that would suit i welcome your replies good bad or ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hi all
Have been trying to replace my pirelli phantoms but there does not seem to be any in the uk whatsoever!I understand there are some in the usa but cost would be a problem my friend having just paid over £200 for just a front tyre.I know you will all say these tyres are rubbish but i like them!Maybe someone could suggest a tyre with a retro pattern on it that would suit i welcome your replies good bad or ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You'll forget about the "retro pattern" as soon as you ride a tire that isn't utter garbage like the Phantoms.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
It's only a matter of time before you'll be bloody using those tires (no offense).

Get Michelin Power Pures (2lbs lighter and stick like glue) and enjoy the neo-retro pattern on the OEMs when they're hanging on your wall.

Ride safe,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Get Michelin Power Pures (2lbs lighter and stick like glue) and enjoy the neo-retro pattern on the OEMs when they're hanging on your wall.
My stock tires are Michelin Pilots, not the Pirelli's. Are the Power Pures noticeably better than those as well? I'd guess so.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
My stock tires are Michelin Pilots, not the Pirelli's. Are the Power Pures noticeably better than those as well? I'd guess so.
Yes, they are one notch below track tires made for the street/track days. There's been alot of positive discussion about them around the forum.

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Yes, they are one notch below track tires made for the street/track days. There's been alot of positive discussion about them around the forum.
Thanks, I'm going to get some of these puppies and throw them on some Alpina tubeless hoops (currently running on completely stock '07 GT wheels and tires w/ 9.6k miles)...

Here's hoping I like the change.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I put Pirelli Angels on mine, very happy with them too.
Unless your going to use the phantoms for display only I'd stick with a decent real world tyre.

If your desperate then ask Gizmo on Ducati up north if he still has the phantoms he removed from his PS, though he's since sold the bike I dont know what he did with the tyres.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
The Pirelli phantoms are available on Amazon for about $325 per pair. And they're a decent modern tire with an old time tread pattern.

Can you source them in the usa and ship within your budget?

bob

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'll need to replace the the Phantoms on mine in the next few weeks - the rear is almost done....but you're welcome to the front. I was certainly hoping to fit something better.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks glawster may i call you that would be great.My daytime no is 07971654396 Shipping from the usa is out of the question due to my limited budget and shipping costs taxes etc really bump the cost up.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I'm sorry guys, but the Pirellli Phantom tyre is absolutely crap - especially on British Roads. It was originally produced back in the 80s when tyre technology was in a different place, and should never have been re-created for our SCs just so we can have a retro fashion statement.

Search for many other threads on here to see how many crashes they have caused, or better still, just ask someone who actually sells or fits tyres what they think of them.

Once you have swapped to something modern, you will blush at the very thought of having even used them. I promise.

They are utter garbage. Please don't waste your time sourcing them. ... but, if you are insane enough to place looks over safety I dumped a new set on Dave Robinsons in Wandsworth about 2 weeks ago and fitted some Diablo 2s. If he hasn't burned them, help yourself, but don't come back on here with your, "the front broke out from under me" thread.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I yanked them off @ only 1000 miles and replaced with pilot pure's and have never regretted it, no comparison in handling and feel. Kept them in case someone might be needing them for a museum piece but never imagined anyone would want them to roll on. I'm in US anyway, would cost you too much.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Thanks London will call dave robos later but you have all got me thinking!
Dude, even if Dave gives them to you for free (he may want some cash, even though I dumped them on him) I wouldn't fit them for all the tea in China.

Your tyres are what keep you upright on the road, and on a 1000cc modern performance bike that is so fantastic thru corners, it's not worth compromising grip for pretty tread pattern.

If you owned an old Guzzi or a Triumph, then fine, but this is a lightweight Ducati.

I'll shut up now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I crashed 2 weeks ago on rain with the phantoms. I dumped them and switched to Metzeler Z8 M. They are supposed to be one of the best for the SC. But I have to wait another 1-2 weeks before I get my bike back fully restored and ready to run...

·
Registered
592 Posts
I crashed 2 weeks ago on rain with the phantoms. I dumped them and switched to Metzeler Z8 M. They are supposed to be one of the best for the SC. But I have to wait another 1-2 weeks before I get my bike back fully restored and ready to run...

I'll be keen to hear what you think of the Z8 as that was my other choice of tyre, the only reason I finally went with the angels is that I could find no feedback about what was then a brand new tyre model, and I had spoken to a few riders who already had angels, I did not want a supersports tyre that needed to be warmed up and would then be crap in the cold and wet weather thats the norm here.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
My GT1000 came with the Michelins. I've listened to them called "crap" now for the six years I've owned my bike. Meanwhile I just installed my third set (bought when they were on clearance and stored, coating still intact, in an ozone free environment).

Maybe these tires only stink for bikes that have the problem that makes them absolutely require a steering damper? And perhaps the few of us who were unusually lucky so as to get one of the few safe and stable ones are OK.

Or then again, maybe I just have no understanding and discernment. After all, I'm a mere babe whose only been riding 45 years. :abduct:

:D

-don

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
My GT1000 came with the Michelins. I've listened to them called "crap" now for the six years I've owned my bike. Meanwhile I just installed my third set (bought when they were on clearance and stored, coating still intact, in an ozone free environment).

Maybe these tires only stink for bikes that have the problem that makes them absolutely require a steering damper? And perhaps the few of us who were unusually lucky so as to get one of the few safe and stable ones are OK.

Or then again, maybe I just have no understanding and discernment. After all, I'm a mere babe whose only been riding 45 years. :abduct:

:D

Don, I'm pretty sure everyone is ragging on the Pirrelli phantoms. If yours came with Michelins I believe you were very lucky! I had recently seen a zero miles 06 sport 1000 on dealer floor and it had michelins also but I assumed the dealer had replaced the Phantoms because of age.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
-don
Don- I also had the Michellin Pilot Classics mounted stock on my GT and found them a good all-round tire that I had no real complaints about, other than the tube factor. But most of the venom I've seen is directed at the Pirelli Phantoms that were also mounted stock to many bikes. I'm sure nobody will bother doing a comparison analysis between stock tires, but I suspect there was a difference, and maybe a considerable difference.

I mounted Pirelli Angels also when I went to cast wheels, and my subjective thoughts are that they have a beautifully neutral turn in, stick quite well in the conditions I ride, and seem to be reasonably durable. But I also have changed my wheels and suspension, and I think it's pretty common to do multiple changes when you put on better tires. It would be rare for anyone to offer up a true apples-to-apples comparison between stock tires, and so we're just left with the impressions that are shared.

And I've only been riding motorcycles for 44 years, just bicycles before that, so you've got me beat!:D (Although I did get a ride on the back of a Vespa in 1962... does that count?)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts