Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ST2 tacho became erratic some months ago and finally quit working altogether so after reading some of the threads posted here I pulled the dash out , cleaned and tightened the brass thingys on the back and cleaned all of the electrical connections. After I put it all back together and before I put the fairings back on I started it up. The dash worked as normal but the tacho was still dead. Too bad, I needed the bike for work on Monday so I put her back together and started it only to discover the dash is completely dead along with the tail light. I have now had it apart again, checked all of the connections and fuses and can't find any reason it won't play. Does anyone have a clue? :confused:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark, she's a 350 but the new girl on the bench is a hot as eff 500 red hunter girder forked bobber. Can you believe Iv'e got a 1948 British bike with less electrical problems than my 97 Duke. Any thoughts on my ST2 gremlins guys?

·
Ducati Designs
1,125 Posts
Greg, sorry about the wayward electrons. Kinda endemic to the breed. Not bad design, just some substandard parts that don't stand up to bike use without TLC. The advice I always give is the same:

Take off the skins, find every electrical connector (one at a time), separate, clean, add some contact preservative, and reassemble.

There is a big connector on the left side that joins the front and rear harnesses and carries most signals around the bike. It can get wet inside the back shell and corrode, so needs proper attention.

Ditto grounds; the main grounds from battery to transmission and other places need to be clean and tight. The bike will have all kinds of behavioral issues with a weak ground.

Pay close attention to the connector from alternator to regulator; it is undersized, as are the wires, and can burn up. If the battery is more than a few years old, replace it. The regulator is heavily taxed and gets pretty hot; airflow, thermal paste to better thermal contact helps.

Great bike, just a little high-maintenance for electrics.

Cheers

pg
DD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.