Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my hyper on it's first extended trip (650 miles) After the first day's ride of 200 odd miles, parked her and partied the night away. Temps were coldish in the morning- in the low 50's, and when i started her, a friend says "hey dude, your blowing shit out of your pipe" i rapped the throttle a few times and sho nuff, dark clouds of rich-fuel smelling exhaust.

is this a function of the engine being cold and running in "closed loop" mode? (2-1 termi/dp race ecu) it clears up in a few minutes time.

just curious.

kyle

·
Registered
605 Posts
It's not running closed loop, its open loop, and the trim sounds way too rich for starters.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the clarification. so can my dealer adjust this or is it set in the dp ecu? i have to get in there for my speedo/odometer reflash anyhow, so if it's something they can look at i'll let them have at it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yes, have them check it out if its going in anyway. Did anyone ever set up the ECU when it was installed (TPS and trim)?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I wouldn't jump to sending it to the dealer for a trim change. It could have been several other factors, like humidity and temperature and if the engine is still breaking in, it won't full burn all the fuel especially at start up. When my HM new, it did the same thing a couple of times with no rhyme or reason behind it, but it hasn't happened in about 1200 miles.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Mine does it and worse in the frosting and has been setup up properly, give it a minute and it will be better after initial warmth from the engine tickles the sensor.

Just lay off giving it the gas and let the ECU do the fast idle thing.

Having said that, if you bike has NOT been setup up properly after the ECU install then yeap do that too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've got a great dealer that i work with and who set up my bike. i'll trust that it was set up correctly initially. just turned 4k miles, so it's still a spring chicken. i'll ask about it, they arent the kind to fix something that isn't broken.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts