Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 95 Ducati M900 that I bought through Craigslist (although it was also listed on dashub I think) and I've got it running again, fixed some electrical issues, replaced all fuel lines, replaced airbox and a couple other parts (bike was dropped when the kickstand sprung up instead of down, has a lot of left side damage)
I changed the oil and went with a Ducati oil filter replacement on Amazon and 20w50 synthetic Castrol V twin oil.

After 200 miles of riding though, I decided to look at the oil level to make sure it wasn't burning oil or leaking or anything, and it's as black as pitch.
I'm gonna change it again, I know oil is meant to clean as well as lubricate but I'd like to figure out the problem so I don't have to change oil terribly often. Any ideas?

Bike has 13,500 ish miles on it, I don't ride it hard and the last owner went with this bike because of riding position not to go fast, and he decided his cruiser was fast enough so he sold this, so I doubt he rode it terribly hard, has 20+ pages of service records, really doubt he rode it too extreme but you never know.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
The Castrol may be cleaning out previous deposits and your filter element isn't fine enough to capture them. Look at the plugs to see if they are running clean because if it is a ring problem, oil will go out on the intake strroke and possibly be visible on the plugs as deposits. If they look good, (tannish ceramic), replace the filter with a different brand and see if it cleans it up. Replacing the oil snb necessary, just filtering it.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
detergent could be playing a part, and in that area it's just doing its job - removing all the black stuff.

possibly the oil in the cooler that didn't get changed may have contaminated it colour wise too.

i'd run the oil you have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had same experience with 13K mi. '00 900S 1.e. I recently bought. Ran fresh oil thru for couple hundred mi. and changed again. Removed oil cooler lines and used air press. to blow out old oil. Also, after it's all drained out look at the site glass. They can get quiet stained on older bikes and throw off the true color of the oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts