Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who is that guy with the black mini van with black rims etc in his sig? i'm looking to buy a van to transport my bike, and his has got to be the least dorkiest van i've ever seen.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Haven't seen the black on but I would suggest looking into Eurovan as one of the options. Low floor, tall roof, euro styling and seats pop out in a second.

Another good bike hauler is Dodge Sprinter, but it doesn't fit in garages.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the response. im definitely looking for something smaller with better gas mileage, which is why im looking at mini vans instead of full size vans

·
Registered
339 Posts
That's what's great about Eurovan. It's big on the inside but small on the outside. For example Honda Accord is is 194" long x 72" wide. Eurovan is only 188" long and 72" wide. By no means it's full size van....

D.

thanks for the response. im definitely looking for something smaller with better gas mileage, which is why im looking at mini vans instead of full size vans

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow thats crazy. i was just checking some of them out.
well im looking to pay under 1500 for this van/mini van, so if one pops up in that price range, ill definitely snag it

·
Registered
126 Posts
The Sprinter is/was available with a turbo diesel that got fuel milage in the 30s loaded with gear.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It's going to be hard to find $1500 van these days, whatever runs people trade in and get $4500 for it from the government.

·
Alaska Born Tsimshian
379 Posts
I've gone cross country a couple times carrying a sport bike in the back of my ol 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan. With room to sleep right beside the bike too!

Yep, doing what I can to change the image (stigma) of minivan drivers. :p Mark H.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's awesome. looks like you fit a 748 in there, do you know the height of the van? i'm trying to find something for my 749 and i think this might fit the bill. if you did any kind of research before getting the van, that would be great, like if the regular caravan (not the grand) could still fit the bike, etc.

·
Alaska Born Tsimshian
379 Posts
I found the problem with most mini type vans is getting a bike through the rear door. Once it's inside there's plenty of room. I'm pretty sure a regular Caravan won't work and I was bummed to see the newer vans went to the fold into the floor seats.

Because of door height, as I roll a bike up the ramp I have to lean it towards me to clear the windshield or mirror. Bikes get heavy real quick when leaned over in this manner so I try to do it with a near empty tank of gas. It's also why I have a stock size windshield on my bikes and mirrors that fold out of the way. If your mirror doesn't fold you'll have to disconnect it.

My latest was transporting a KLR which is renowned for it's tall height! I had to compress the forks with a ratchet strap, undo the 3 screws and take off the little windscreen, and loosen 2 bolts to roll the handle bars down.

Why would I do all this? Remember, AK is 1/5 the size of the U.S. It's a long way slabbing it to get some places up here! lol

It all works well for me. ;) Good luck, Minivan Marko

1 - 12 of 12 Posts