Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what does the round black knob on the steering headset do? It doesn't push in or pull out. It doesn't twist either direction. I figured it was a friction type steering damper but it does not want to budge, and I don't want to force it unless I know how it is supposed to function... 06 SS 1000 DS. TIA! :confused:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have no idea what you mean. Pictures maybe?

I have a 2002 900SSie and to my knowledge none came with a steering damper. Maybe some after market install?

But unless others know exactly what you mean, pictures tell more than 1000 words.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RAM Mount Ball

It says RAM on it. Sooooooo... WTH is A Ram Mount Ball and how is it used?

And since I must not have the rest of the assembly, how do I remove it?

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Look it up - a RAM mount is a generic way to add "stuff" like GPS, phone holder, etc.. to your dash / handlebar.
Looks like you have one of these and the ball should simply unscrew from the steering head nut. (I have something similar on my FJR..)

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Wish I could find one to fit the old 900SS - that opening is way too tiny. Maybe I will put a later model nut on it one day or drill out the hole bigger. Sure would be nice to have.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Well you could say I have some Ram mount experience...lol

I have seen users make the same mount in the past and the ram mount system does work pretty good to mount about anything you can imagine from a phone to a holster. It should be easy to get a stock head bolt if you did not like it but you might want to hang onto it as you never know when it will be needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
It says RAM on it. Sooooooo... WTH is A Ram Mount Ball and how is it used?

And since I must not have the rest of the assembly, how do I remove it?
Small world.. I was just looking into getting one, and just by coincidence found this once tired and exasperated with searching and clicking around for a different topic
:D

Did you ever take it off?
Tempted to make my own.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts