Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the hot weather upon us here’s a reminder.

Be extra careful at stoplights and at intersection turn lanes where overheated cars often dump their coolant. This stuff is as slippery as ice, and under normal braking or lean angles, it can knock you down before you know what happened.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
the tar snakes stay hydrated with that stuff

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Good thought, Strega. I’d add that your choice of footwear should take this into consideration. Some boots or shoes have zero traction on that stuff. Most “ real” motorcycle boots are made with a sole that provides traction at stoplights. I’ve almost dropped bikes while stopping when my foot slips on greased up pavement. One more good reason to wear proper motorcycle boots.

·
Registered
72 Posts
And a good reason to stay off the center of the lane ... where all of the goop, nails, glass, and other sundry crapola.

:wink2:
Yeah Im always aiming for where other tires have been, do it in the car and on the bike. Let someone else plow the road for you.

·
Official Retired Person
7,520 Posts
I would add grass clippings to 'things to watch out for'. So many people mow a spray the clippings on the road for traffic to disperse for them. Very slippery stuff.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Then there’s railroad tracks.
I was turning into a parking lot and crossed a track while turning and was on the ground before I knew what was happening. Super slick.

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,703 Posts
the tar snakes stay hydrated with that stuff
+1 on the tar snakes, they've littered the roads around here this year with that stuff, you think they could add some type of aggregate in the tar to enhance grip.
Add to the list , tar expansion joints at bridge to road connections.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
In my area they do all the road repair in the summer. We have frost laws and trucks can’t haul heavy gravel loads during the winter. So, when spring comes intersections and stops can end up with gravel or sand on top of the pavement if you are riding on a road frequented by gravel trucks. This can affect stopping distance and cause your feet to slide when you put them down.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Tar snakes suck. If you can see the pavement through them they are probably OK. If they look jet black and thick you should find a new road. I think they should be outlawed.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
And watch for brown ice from sheep and cows being herded along rural roads.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I learned that with my first bike when I locked up the front and fell at a stop sign.
Later I locked the front on grass and fell again. Doh!

·
Registered
1 Posts
+1 on the tar snakes, they've littered the roads around here this year with that stuff, you think they could add some type of aggregate in the tar to enhance grip.
Add to the list , tar expansion joints at bridge to road connections.
In some areas of the country they do add grit to the tar snakes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts