Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 weeks in the Black Hills, give me a list of the good rides to take. Curves, curves, sights, curves, sights, more curves.

·
Registered
285 Posts
2 weeks in the Black Hills, give me a list of the good rides to take. Curves, curves, sights, curves, sights, more curves.
Chief Joseph Parkway US 296. Cody Wyoming to Yellowstone. A right after this heading NE is Bear Tooth Pass US 212. After this You are finished. The best. The rest is just touristy stuff. IMMHO!

Chief Joseph Parkway link:
http://prp.linkstorms.com/mr/allgetaways.jsp/10.2126/XFA134-004.ag

Bear Tooth Pass:
http://visitmt.com/experiences/scenic_adventures/scenic_drives/?gclid=CLDkovah7psCFQIyxwodzg48-A

·
Registered
286 Posts
Don't miss Custer State Park in SD (Hwy 87) and the Needles Highway. You'll have to pay to get into Needles, but it's worth it. Then double-back on Hwy 16A. Great scenery and very nice, tight twisties.

·
Registered
87 Posts
In Black Hills you need to do/see:

Hwy16A, The Needles Hwy (you don't need to pay if you're not doing the Custer State Park Wildlife loop...I did not pay last week), Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway, Vanocker Canyon, Hwy 244. You should see the Crazy Horse Memorial and ride out to Devil's Tower also, and obviously Mt. Rushmore. 2 weeks is a long time just for Black Hills though,

As far as Beartooth, definitely worth the ride if you have the time, but it is pretty much all the way across Wyoming as it basically dumps you out at the east entrance to Yellowstone if you ride it east to west.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have to agree about Spearfish canyon, it is one of the most beautiful roads anywhere. Just look out for dear.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, Jay G I am at the Dunlop truck in front of the min Black Hills HD showroom, when I am there. I have my St2+ with me.
I did 87 and 89[needles] and 16a[Ironman] already a couple of weeks ago, definitely going back. The Skyline drive right in town by the dinosoar park was great also. I did that, then down 16 and across to Sheridan Lake rd.[228] to 385 and down to 16a, then back the same way. Loads of fun, 228 is a great ride also, not as tight but watch out for open range cattle herds.
I saw Vanocker R. on the map and was thinking it would be worth while, will also be doing Spearfish Canyon Rd. and seeing Devil's tower.
Any more suggestions? I don't think I am going to go all the way across Wyoming this trip, but it could happen.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I got some riding in today. +1 on Volcker Canyon Rd. and Nemo Rd.
I am riding along pretty fast, paying attention to the curves and the ride, and my periferial vision explodes. Suddenly my mind goes WHOA, this is really pretty country, LOOK around. Can't I'm riding now, maybe I'd better ride this on another day and take a look around.
Did the Skyline drive in town again, it's great. And 228[sheridan lake rd.] lots of fun[cattle again]. Did a road called Rockerville rd.[I think] between 40 east[just out of Keystone] and 16 east to Rapid city. It's a pretty great ride also.
Good curves of all speed ranges, lots of elevation changes, good riding fun, thats what I am finding in the Black Hills.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This place is FUN!

Found a couple more great roads today, just following sgiggly lines on the map. First one was just okay, nice fast sweepers with some tighter stuff mixed in. Minor elevation changes[wide open space], about a 2 mile basically straight strech[?]. Showed 138 indicated at 8200 rpm in 6th, all shed do on the return ride, maybe drop a tooth on the counter shaft to pull red line. That will give a bit more low speed flexibility also. Spring creek rd. heading east from 79, I think.
Then I went west on Spring Creek form 79 towards 16, great road fast sweepers climbing and tightening up, then down to Neck Yoke Road. More great stuff and headed to Rockerville Rd.[mentioned earlier] and down into Keystone[40 and 16].
Straight west from 40 across 16, put me on a terriffic Road[323 I think], I did this one 3 times back and forth, through a canyon and valley switch backs across a rail line, up and down. Great stuff on to 385.
Harley train until I got to 228[sheridan Lake Rd., mentioned earlier], apparently the Harley train didn't travel this route. Great fun, no cattle today, and into Rapid City. About 140 miles, and enough for today, more work to do.:p

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got over to Spearfish Canyon Rd. yesterday before dusk, the crowds are thinning and the weather was somewhat threatening.
What a great road! My question is, how many times do you have to ride it? Once to look at the trees? Another to look at the great stream rushing along the road? Again just to watch the high canyon walls on either side? Finally, you should know the road a bit and not be to distracted to put in a really good ride!
I didn't get to do that many rides on it, 40 miles back to Rapid city on 90, 20 in the rain. I did say the weather was threatening. Loads of FUN, a must do for anybody getting near this area. If you are on a cross country ride, a few days in the Black Hills will definitely be a highlight of any trip just for the riding. Lots of other attractions also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts