Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ohlins DU707: $1250
Bitubo: $984.95
YSS: $768.99
SC 1000 OEM shock (possibly $400) + correct spring rate and installation.

The first 3 shocks all have: preload, compression and rebound, not sure about the OEM SC1000 shock.

So the question is: which shock is better for the price and performance. I like to ride, "the pace" in the canyons and will do a few trackdays on the GT1000. Solely based on price I was initially leaning toward the SC1000 OEM shock and having it resprung but for the price might as well go for the YSS. My question is that I'm not to familiar with YSS as a brand. I have heard good things about their shocks in other threads but have zero personal experience. If the Ohlins really change the ride that much and are worth the price I wouldn't mind shelling out for them but if i can get something comprable from YSS why not?

I found the stock suspension and wheels atrocious, almost a crime in progress. The wheels are so heavy that it basically bottoms out the forks over every little bump. I feel like the GT1000 is a great moto with lots of potential. Its just all about acessing that potential :cool:

I already have ST 3 way adjustable forks being rebuilt and adding an Ohlins piston kit. I also have a set of ST wheels and axel ready to go.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Lots of guys race on YSS, hear good things about them but you hit the problem right on the head, wheels/tires to heavy. Too much rotating mass slows down steering and suspension. I went the route you are going, rear shock first, then set of adjustable showa forks, made quite a difference but none as dramatic as new lighter wheels and tires. Think I could have saved money if I started with the wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
i am riding the YSS on mine and love 'em. great levels of adjustment and tuning for whatever ride i am facing on the day. every bit as tasty as the ohlins. cant speak to the bitubos as i have never ridden them. enjoy.

edit: the rear oem is not too shabby once well sprung, but you can get more adjustability out of the yss..

·
Registered
399 Posts
...wheels/tires to heavy. Too much rotating mass slows down steering and suspension...Think I could have saved money if I started with the wheels.
Makes sense to me, although I like the look of wires on my GT. Do the aluminum wire rims weigh substantially less than the chrome-plated steel? I've been thinking I could prolly pick up a pair from someone who upgraded their Sport to mags, or send mine out to be re-laced. But is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Makes sense to me, although I like the look of wires on my GT. Do the aluminum wire rims weigh substantially less than the chrome-plated steel? I've been thinking I could prolly pick up a pair from someone who upgraded their Sport to mags, or send mine out to be re-laced. But is it worth it?
Yes, they are lighter and better looking. There's a set of the silver SC alloy rims on EBay right now for a good price (not mine - just saw them this morning).

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
293 Posts
I want to say the stock s1 wheels are 5 lbs lighter than the gt oe ones, but maybe someone remembers? I know it's somewhere on this forum..

Ah, page 2 has a great graph on wheel weight - looks a bit less than 10 lb for the GT S1 switch, I think the PS has alum spokes and the S1 does not?...

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/55457-wheel-options-summary-2.html

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
5 lbs sounds about right so 10 for both but that is substantial while rotating. I know what mine felt like going to Alpinas no tubes and light power pures from stock sport aluminum and it was amazing, can only offer that it would probably be the same percentage of improvement going from the steel GT rims to the Sport aluminum.
Want to guess that weight savings was comparable also.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
People, including myself, who went from stock alloy hoops to tubeless cast or forged wheels say the difference is amazing so going to spoked alloys is only halfway there and you'll still have the heavy, troublesome tubes.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
People, including myself, who went from stock alloy hoops to tubeless cast or forged wheels say the difference is amazing so going to spoked alloys is only halfway there and you'll still have the heavy, troublesome tubes.
For the money, though, the tubes weight can be offset with a set of Michelin Power Pures, which are each 2lbs lighter than comparable tires. Sure, not the lightest setup with the SC alloys but still a significant difference from the GT steel anchors.

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.