Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I must have read it 3 times - love it. Also interesting the early design studies with the sssa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I must have read it 3 times - love it. Also interesting the early design studies with the sssa.

Haha. Glad I am not the only one who thinks it's a nice read. 3 times.......damn! I hope to have it finished by the end of the weekend.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
As a fan of the desing it was an interesting read.

After 999 era Ducati has struggled to pull of a nice racing livery for the SBK's, but we can always admire the past designs. My all time favourite is the 03-04 design with FILA livery. Better than 05-06 ;)

e. pictures can't be seen, but there was supposed to be 2 shots of 999 FILA.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. The further I read the more I really like the 999 platform. I'm shooting for an '05-'06 model when I pull the trigger. However, there is one in the classifieds here I have my eye on - just haven't figured out if I want a bike that is not red. I prefer buying one that has been sorted out and from someone who has owned the bike for a decent period of time. Back to reading!!!!:wink2:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
have also read it after finding one on amazon after snagging an '04.must be one of the most thorough comprehensive packed printing for any motorcycle.if searching for an example there's 1 of 150 2007 parts unlimited on cycletrader.com;
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2007-Ducati-Superbike-999s-Team-USA-5003192874
'04 999s,

Thank you. I've seen that one. Nice bike for sure, and I'm looking nationwide for a purchase, not going to just limit myself for local stuff. There are a couple locally for sale, but nothing I'm interested in. There is a clean 749 but I'm not going to settle. Thanks again man.

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
Couldn't put it down

Great read. The kind of book you can't put down, very informative, makes you appreciate how advanced the 999 was over the earlier body style, at least in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great read. The kind of book you can't put down, very informative, makes you appreciate how advanced the 999 was over the earlier body style, at least in my humble opinion.
Advanced it was! Can't wait to get my very own. Of course, I'm going backwards in model years, styling and technology versus the 1198SP I owned, but I really like the the 999 overall for the price one can be had for.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
It's a amazingly "dirt cheap" now.
IIRC, the 999r was sold for ~$35k plus $4k for the full Termi Ti optional exhaust.

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
03 999R used value?

Umm, I've been wondering what my 03 999R would be worth on the used market, yes, I've been unfortunately thinking about selling it for almost a year now but can't seem to pull the trigger, because every time I pull the cover off I fall in love with it again, especially after taking it on a hilly loop every few weeks and hearing the exhaust note of the Leo Vince Corsa Ti full exhaust system. Best sounding Ducati exhaust in my opinion and one that honestly delivers a substantial power increase compared to Termingnoni. It also streamlined the rear of the machine, eliminating the "breadbox" look of the Termi. I have to thank my friend, the late Martin of Motowheels when on a ride in the mountains one day, Martin rode up on his 999R when I was riding my 916. The first thing I noticed was the incredible sound of his exhaust on his very special carbon fiber bodied 999R. I quickly learned he had the Leo Vince Ti Corsa full exhaust and I said one day (when I could afford it) I'll install the system on a yet to be bought Ducati superbike.

Having only 4.3k miles on the ODO and about $8.5K in upgrades, I have no idea what I will ask for it and even before I list it, I'm going to have the belts changed and consider installing new tires as well. Tires are still good, but new rubber always looks better, lol.

Over ten years ago I made a real effort to learn how to do my own valve checks, shim replacement and belt changes and did so on my 916 and 999S.
Took me about three days to complete the 916 (PITA) and I even hosted a workshop at my house with two very well qualified instructors and six to seven 999 and 998 owners in attendance. Most completed the service at the end of the first day, but a couple owners carried over into the second day to complete theirs. The 999S was so much easier to do from an accessibility standpoint and I had thoughts of tackling the 999R before putting it up for sale, even though I have another 1,700 miles to go before the service is due. For sure I'll have the belts changed out, but I'm waffling on the valve check service at this time. To be honest, it's been so long since I last popped off a valve cover that I would have to devote a lot of time refreshing my faded memory and I'm not in the mood nor do I have the time and besides, why make the effort when this will be my last Ducati. I did a ride to Death Valley earlier this year and realized two things, I really like the idea of touring and my Road King is not the bike to do it on. Therefore, I sold it and bought a Gold Wing last month. After many years on sports bikes, that era is over and a new chapter begins.

If anybody has a ball park figure of what the first year low miles 999R series bike is worth in immaculate condition, please drop me a PM. I can also cue you in to the many upgrades I have added to the bike.

Attachments

Reactions: trussdude

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
From what I understood the 999r requires different tools to do the valve work than the standard 999. At least I was told that from a Ducati shop that said they could not service my 999r beings they did not have the tools. And the shop has been around for years. Of course that was about 4 years ago when I called them to take a look at other issues I was having.
They where pretty honest telling me that they did not get too many 999r's in their area and felt it would probably be better if I took it to the bay area.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Did a track day yesterday and had a 1199 Panigale in the next slot at the pits. He ran into some heat issues and wanted to refill with some water/coolant. With my bike it would have been 5 screws and 30 seconds to get access there. With Pani it was, well, a pain in the ass compared to that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have seen Ducati 999Rs go between 12k to 17.5k. I bought my 999R xerox for 12k and saw another one go on ebay for just under 14k. I also saw a 999R with a couple hundred miles and brand new looking go for nearly 17k. Those are just pricepoints and you may be able to get more or less. Check out cycletrader as well. They have some 999Rs for sale on there.

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
From the looks of the slicks and condition and higher miles and no upgrades and lowsided. I think this 05 999R was a track bike. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, but I wouldn't take a chance on it unless I could steal it and there was a good accounting of services done to the bike. My bike and the Ebay bike is like apples and oranges in all respects with the exception of the year model. There is something to say about having the first year of the 999R series bike in 03 and another for the newer 05 model. I have to throw out one thing, my year bike had the factory carbon fiber tail, the 05 was plastic. Lastly, consider the multiple upgrades I have done to mine and case closed, at least in my opinion, lol.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I have seen Ducati 999Rs go between 12k to 17.5k. I bought my 999R xerox for 12k and saw another one go on ebay for just under 14k. I also saw a 999R with a couple hundred miles and brand new looking go for nearly 17k. Those are just pricepoints and you may be able to get more or less. Check out cycletrader as well. They have some 999Rs for sale on there.

Wow. That's very inexpensive for a Xerox. Good for you. You must be a crazy good negotiator! What number is yours?

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Number 21. You have quite the collection. I like it.

Also, while I wish i got this deal as the result of a negotiating super power, it really just comes down to timing.
Was that the bike in CA that had the rods replaced with 999s rods,
How does it run?

·
Registered
938 Posts
I bought my '03 999R (183) for under $10K. Less than 8K miles, full Pro Italia service history about 4 years ago. My history research on the bike showed that it had seen a number of different owners including 2 forum members. Ask was over $10K, but the bike needed a valve adjustment and belt service. After I bought it I saw 3 for sale local to me. All were estate sales. The best deal was a Xerox with about 3K miles, and complete new spare body included for $12.5K .....

I don't know how much the market has changed in the past 4 years, but the lack of popularity generally seems to mean, if you're patient, you can find a deal. Took me allot longer to find a deal on a 1098R as the market universally recognizes the value of these.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts