1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys.
I have the sport 1000 biposto model. But the cool Factor og the original Mono
model and the option of 2in1, eventual the cool zard and not to forget. Loose
those ugly passenger pegs. Talks me into a winterproject :)
I never ride with passengers, not on this one, that is.

So and Butt ;-)

Always wondered how the rigidity of the swingarm is. I know
there is made a compensation/curve in the side where the damper is missing.
But still I have been in doubt if this could do it. Have had thoughts about flexing of the swingarm and so on.
And how is it suspension wise, compared to the biposto model.

Hope one of you could help me. I know one crazy inventer from Down under.
Maybe could help. ;-)

Cheers
Lars
Denmark

·
Registered
251 Posts
Not to jack your thread, but can anyone tel me why they ever went from single to double rear shock? Did it have anything to do with frame flexing or ??????:think:

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Not to jack your thread, but can anyone tel me why they ever went from single to double rear shock? Did it have anything to do with frame flexing or ??????:think:
Gave them the ability to carry passenger...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Gave them the ability to carry passenger...
Really? Give up on the COOL factor simply for the sake of a passenger?
Who would have thought that Italians would give up on aestethics to serve function:rolleyes:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The biposto targeted to a wider audience = Bigger sales figures.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
i've ridden both:

had a gt and ran her for over 17,000 miles. lots of that was two-up, some track days and some long trips on my own. upgraded the shocks to yss.

now i have an 06 and i put about 7,500 miles on her this summer. lots of that was two-up (i added the triangles to accommodade my lovely wife :eek:), some track days and some long trips on my own. upgraded the shocks to an ohlins unit.

i can't tell one bit of difference between the two setups for flex, ride quality, nuthin. even with the mono shock preload cranked all the way up for the bike in full tour mode.

the attached pics will show you how ridiculously we had the bike overloaded, and how rough some of the roads were. although the bike felt heavy, it did fine for that 1,000 mile two-up trip. the only thing that flexed was the ventura rack, which actually bent in half from the load (we had all our camping gear in the big bag) and we found a kind stranger to weld it up with some splint supports in his driveway along the route.

maybe casey stoner could tell us one flexes more than the other, but i sure couldn't feel it. i say you're fine with either one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
holly f rossi. (applauding) I would have thought it was impossible.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay GTRossi, your input sealed the deal. My Biposto is a true monoposto from next year.
Btw. Is there anybody, who would make a swap with me :D

One more thing, what exactly is the model you have got from Öhlins ????

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Ha! Look at that backpack!

Nice photo though - good looking couple on a very cool bike!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Well done GT Rossi! I walked away from a really good deal on an '06 mono swingarm last year specifically because I was worried about losing two up capability. That's what get for considering others:rolleyes:. The mono SA really opens up some better (IMO) exhaust and shock options, and looks unique to boot.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Fun. You win the prize for most-loaded-up SC ever.

I also have both a GT with biposto arm and an 06 SC with monoposto arm. The dealer told me that the racers say they can tell the difference between the two and that the mono arm "flexes less" and is superior to the biposto arm.

I however, agree with Rossi. I have had both bikes out on the track and have never felt the alleged "flex" of the biposto swingarm. I must admit I can't tell a difference between them as far as the swingarm is concerned.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fun. You win the prize for most-loaded-up SC ever.

I also have both a GT with biposto arm and an 06 SC with monoposto arm. The dealer told me that the racers say they can tell the difference between the two and that the mono arm "flexes less" and is superior to the biposto arm.

I however, agree with Rossi. I have had both bikes out on the track and have never felt the alleged "flex" of the biposto swingarm. I must admit I can't tell a difference between them as far as the swingarm is concerned.
So the mono-arm should flex less, okay... First I thought the Bi-arm would be more rigid/flex less because of the even pressure of the dampers.
Then I read GTRossi's posts, and convince myself, that I have not to be worried over a Retrobuild to a mono.

But that the Mono-arm should be more Rigid/Flex less, is wery surprising. -Wee-hee :):)

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
yeah, i'm not one to baby my bike too much - a little gravel through the mountains builds character. well, actually it was about 20 miles of gravel, including wash-outs and some single track along the cliff edges.

i've got a whole stack of photos from that trip that i need to post up - especially since the bike is apart in the garage for a while...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts