Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife won't ride on the back of my 999 bip... so, can I just swap in a mono tail section, and get the full on racer look, or do I need the mono subframe as well?

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
My wife won't ride on the back of my 999 bip... so, can I just swap in a mono tail section, and get the full on racer look, or do I need the mono subframe as well?
You will need the mono subframe (any year from 03-06 will work, but the 05-06 subframe was slightly stronger built). And the tail fairing with various nuts and bolts.

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
I was lucky enough to find someone who wanted to buy my BIP set-up. I then shopped around and eventually found the parts needed for the mono set-up. I was kind of shocked how heavy the BIP subframe was compared to the mono subframe, you could replace your dumbells with it to do curls. That alone would make me do it again if I had to. Like many, when I first considered the conversion I took off the pegs and painted the mounts black. I then considered all kinds of different tails to hide the fact it was a BIP. But after adding up the costs, I figured it wasn't worth it and it would still look funky. If you don't like the silencer sticking way out like it does, then you can get a mono tail that will bolt on to your BIP subframe. I got to like the silencer sticking out there and considered the alternative too bulky looking. Anyway, it was one of those projects I stressed over for some time, eventually the tail came out looking good, here are some pics. After doing all that I sold the bike and bought a 999R, the buyer wanted a mono set up so I'm glad I did it. Mono looks better anyway, even on the older Ducs. In the end it was a wash money wise, perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I'm planning to change the subframe from biposto to monoposto and I would like to know if the original monoposto subframe(2003-2004) is heavier or weaker compared to the aluminium ones they sell in ebay for roughly 300 euros?

I might be able to get the original subframe for fair price from a crashed bike, but if it's weak and heave, then I would go for the ebay ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts