Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

BIMOTA SB8K Santa Monica vs BMW HP2 Sport ???

6K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  dick 
#1 ·
Im selling some of my off road bikes and some of my duplicate bikes in order to free up some room for a new bike.

Im seriously considering a BIMOTA SB8K Santa Monica, but Im also interested in a BMW HP2 Sport.

Im looking for some feedback from the forum on these 2 bikes, especially from those who have had the pleasure of riding the 2 bikes in question.

I do almost all of my riding in the paved mountain canyons of Colorado.....these are high altitude canyons and many are 2 lane and rather tight rather than super slab highway riding. I will not be using either bike for racing or for track days.....just for pleasure. I am a very aggressive rider however having raced for many many years in my youth. Im now 57, but I still can ride a superbike/sports bike the way they work best.

I love the fit and finish of the Santa Monica, and I already have 4 BIMOTAs. Ive wanted to add a Santa Monica to my garage for a while. I understand the HP2 Sport is a fantastic bike and that it handles like a dream. I consider both bikes works of art in their own right.

The ideal solution would be to get both bikes, but I think I will be getting only one for now, and maybe later I can get the other one.....I need to help my wife meet some of here dreams so Im splitting my free money between my hobbies and doing home remodeling that my spouse wants......you all know how it is....I dont want to be to selfish, so I try to limit my buying to one bike at a time :)

Any thought about these 2 great bikes???

thanks for any constructive comments

:)

See less See more
#2 ·
This may be a hard call. I own the Santa Monica, and also have had some time on my friends HP2. They are close. The shift assist on the hp is great fun & works flawless. power delivery is also pretty even. At the end of the day the hp is a BMW. That could be a good thing, The S.M is one of the higher spec Bimota's built, and will always have a lot more flair, and the performance to back it up.:confused::confused:

#4 ·
Okay, here comes sacrilege. As many of you know, I am a lifelong Bimota rider/collector. I have 30+ in the collection, adding a mint YB10 as a 'rider' just this week. I ride my SB8R quite a bit (not a Santa Monica, but set up nicely and nicely upgraded). I also have an HP2Sport with two critical upgrades, a slipper clutch and a full Akro exhaust system. The boys at San Jose BMW will tell you the slipper clutch takes a superbly handling bike and makes it perfect. Go into a tight corner, brake hard (the stock Magura master cycl is much better than a Brembo) and in stock trim the HP2 will kick out a bit on dropping down a gear. The slipper clutch let's you drop down two gears and twist the throttle hard. No twitch, no jerk, just a perfect corner. The Akro system adds not simply power and weight reduction, but the engine spools up faster.

One of the better Brit mags said the HP2Sport is the finest handling sport bike. Period. Down on power from the Japanese liter bikes and the new BMW 1000RR? Sure. Can you ride those to their limits? I ain't Rossi, etc so maybe they can but I can't. He'll, I can't push my Desmosedici all the way and I can get over my head on my DB7 almost as quickly.

The HP2Sport is the ideal canyon carver and comfortable and superbly responsive and fun

Build quality? At or above Bimota level, really. Head to head, the Santa Monica, IMHO comes up short. Not simply the ultimate Boxer but, set up as noted, a nigh-on perfect bike.

Please be gentle with those rocks you are planning on tossing my way folks, just speaking my mind. Dave

#5 ·
I have never tried the bimota. I have however tracked the HP2 sport for a bit. I realize you're not planning on tracking it, so YMMV.

TBH I found it to be a pretty poor bike.
The thing is excellent on the brakes but the paralever front suspension gives you very little feedback from the front.
The power delivery was very boring as well IMO. I used it in the race setting which is supposed to be the most aggressive setting.
The ground clearance isn't fantastic either because of the boxer engine, however on the street this isn't an issue.
I think the slipper would certainly be useful. I almost ended up in the gravel the first time I did a semi aggressive downshift (thinking such a high spec bike would have a slipper). The bike just bounced like crazy instead of just having the rear wheel slide and hop a bit.

This was at a track school where the instructors could ride either the S1000RR or the HP2 when giving instruction. For what it's worth none of the faster instructors used the HP2, they all used the S1000RR and not just for power.

It does have excellent build quality though.

#6 ·
Horses for courses. He wasn't looking for a track bike and as for the power issue, the SB8 isn't going to out power the HP2Sport. The newer BMW will no doubt be a better track bike but will fall short on comfort etc on the street. Dave

#7 ·
Do I understand you correctly that you feel that the BIMOTA Santa Monica will be a better and/or more comfortable street bike than the BMW HP2 Sport......or is it the other way around???

thanks for your input; since you know both bikes you are just they kind of person I want to hear from.

I know that ideally I should get both bikes, but I will buy one now, and perhaps get the other at a later time.

:)

:

#9 ·
I'd favor the HP2Sport for the type of street riding you contemplate. The other poster said -- and I agree -- that the newer BMW 1000RR would be a better track bike than either of the bikes you are contemplating if your primary interest is a track day ride. Dave

#11 ·
Not quite the message I intended with my post, but rereading it I realize that it may have come across that way.

I was trying to give my opinion on the downsides of the HP2 sport which apply to both track and street riding. In short: tame powerdelivery and lack of feel from the front.

#13 ·
I traded my '08 1098 for a new HP2 Sport a few weeks ago, and now have nearly 1k on the bike. I haven't ridden the Bimota, but I can give you a few observations about the HP2S. The build quality of the BMW is beyond superb, and absolutely jewel-like in it's construction. I've seen quite a few Bimota's of various kinds, and they're fantastic but do not compare to the HP2S. If you're not familiar with BMW boxers then you will probably find the HP2S a bit of a puzzle. The Telelever front end does lack the last bit of feel that you'd get from a really good conventional fork, but you get used to it, and the HP2S is the best application of it that I've ridden. Very little dive on braking, and the bike has much sharper turn-in than my 1098. The boxer torques to the right under power, which is obvious at idle but pretty much disappears when on the go. The HP2S needs to be setup correctly or you'll have a hard time getting used to the driveshaft effect when getting on and off the throttle when cornering. It does have a lot of compression, and a slipper clutch is a very popular upgrade. Power is going to feel a bit flat if your're used to a 1098, as the HP2S doesn't have that massive torque hit you get with the 1098, but has a power delivery similar to the 848. Brakes are the best I've ever used, with the power of the 1098 (same Brembo monobloc's, different master cylinders) but without nearly the grabby feel that can sometimes catch you out on the Ducati. It is a very roomy bike, and something I could easily tour on, if there were someplace to put bags. The quick-shifter is really cool and the bike actually shifts better than any Ducati I've had, which is amazing because BMW's generally shift like tractors. No missed gears, false-neutrals, just perfect gearchanges. My bike is dead-stock, and I'll probably leave it that way, with the exception of the slipper clutch. I prefer the look of the stock exhaust to any of the aftermarket choices, and I don't think the power gains are worth the $5k+ the Akro system costs.

The HP2 Sport is quite a bargain at the prices you can steal them for today. It's the only double-overhead cam air-cooled boxer motor BMW will ever make, and even at list price it's hard to believe that BMW could sell them for $27k and still make a profit, given the spec of the various pieces, bodywork, etc. There are faster bikes, bikes that handle better, bikes that do it all for quite a bit less money, but none of them are BMW's, and none of them have the cache' of the HP2 Sport. It is simply the ultimate BMW boxer, and likely the only thing like this that BMW will ever build. The newer Bimota's are stunning, fantastic machines, but they just seem like bespoke Ducati's to me, and I'm not sure they're really better motorcycles, just more exclusive and built a bit better, but the character of the machine isn't really any different IMO. The HP2 Sport is kind of on it's own in terms of character and design.

#14 ·
some excellent analysis here chaps. i have owned my santamonica since new now bought 6 years ago. i have had lots of suspension upgrades, engine work, upgrade of various other components etc. excellent bike, light, agile with a linear power curve, 143 bhp at rear wheel.

only one gripe which i am currently in mid progress of. the standard unadjustable footpegs are set far too back, by about 75 mm ish. i am making up new backplates with aprilia rsvr 1000 factory rearsets to bring the position forward.

great bike though, buy one!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.