Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
10,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have read this thread in the Bimota section about my recent fascination with Bimota and the DB6R that was available at Moto Union Ducati MV in Milwaukee.

I called and talked with Ross at MU, and we had a really good conversation, I asked about service for the bike and he told me the price it would take to buy the bike, Not an unreasonable price.

I called again the next day and asked him to get me estimates for the services I wanted and a new set of tires, he didn’t get back to me with written estimates so I called and asked for them again and he finally sent me those as well as a written contract for the bike.

The next day I sent him a breakdown of all the costs including doc fee shipping and all the services and asked if he would round down about $150 from the total. He didn’t get back to me that day so I called again the next day.

When we talked the next day he said he didn’t see the email but after we talked he agreed and I said “great, we have a deal”, would you like me to give you a deposit on a credit card, He said no I’ll tell my GM and we have a deal.

This was Friday, He told me that he had Tuesday off and he would get back to me on Wednesday to finalize the deal and I could send them a check once it’s all gathered together. I made arrangements to transfer money out of my savings Investments to transfer into my checking.

Wednesday comes and as you might imagine I’m all excited and I’m waiting around for his call so we can start the ball rolling and get the bike in for service and new tires before its shipped to me. But no Call.

I finally call them and the GM tells me Ross is busy with a customer but he knows I’m calling about the Bimota, I have a nice conversation with the GM, give him all of my contact info and tell him how excited I am about the bike and he says Ross will call right back – No call! I’m waiting all day and the call never comes.

I’m thinking what the hell? Why don’t they want to get this deal wrapped up?

The next day I call them and Ross tells me that the bike was sold to a walk-in on Tuesday, What!? We have a deal and you assured me that I didn’t need to leave a deposit, But now they have a deposit from another buyer. I’m livid at this point.

I finally get to talk with the GM and He tells me that Ross made this deal with the second buyer on Wednesday while I’m on the phone talking with the GM. Ross completely lied to me and sold the bike out from under me knowing we already had a deal.

I’m not sure why he sold the bike out from under me, maybe he got a better price, maybe he didn’t want the shipping hassle but man that’s one hell of a way to run a dealership.

I trusted these guys on their word. All I can say to you guys is… you shouldn’t!

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
So, Im not all that far away..............

Should the building burn down, it were electrical, I swear. Bastages...........

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Sent them an email, let you know how the bonfire goes. Toasted marshmallows..........yummmm

·
Registered
951 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me twice last year different dealers almost the same story
as yours. One was a phone deal the other one was a bike that belonged to the owner it was
going to be 3 days before I could drive to them and pick up the bike. That day as I am loading
up the truck I get a call he changed his mind and is keeping the bike. Both times they did not
want me to leave a deposit even though I wanted to. I understand the frustration you are dealing
with but I think this happens often.

·
Bon Vivant
10,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WilECoyote - no need to send them emails or anything. I look at it this way, Now I get to shop for another bike - who knows maybe I'll pop for one of the rare new Tesi 3D Nakeds or maybe I'll wait and get a new streetfighter.

I think it is important to let people know this happens when you are buying a bike long distance, but it's water under the bridge now...

·
Bon Vivant
10,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don’t know exactly what flavor Bimota you’re after but try these guys: Bimota Spirit | Raleigh,NC USA | Bimota motorcycles
They show a DB6 and DB6R on their for sale page among some other older models.....sean
Yeah I went out to Bimota Spirit a few weeks ago: Bob, the owner is a super nice person and his collection is incredible. He and his wife are both incredibly talented artists and what they have built there on a lonely back road outside of Raleigh is a unique, Beautiful, and unmatched collection and display of Bimota motorcycles and history.

I think I'd like to start another thread showing our wonderful visit there and not tangle it up with this topic about my unfortunate experience with a less than honorable transaction.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Some people hesitate to name the dealer when they have a bad experience. I’m glad you are willing to name the dealer. Any loss of sales that dealer receives because of your experience with them is well deserved. There was a dealer near me that had some classics in the showroom. I expressed an interest in one, and asked the price. The salesman was vague, quoted me a price which was acceptable, but to be confirmed by the owner. I did not receive a call . The next time I stopped at the dealer, the bike was still there. I asked if it was really for sale. This time , they weren’t sure, but the owner would contact me. No contact. The next time I went there the bike had been sold. They are out of business now. I wonder why .

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Sad truth. Money talks bullshit walks.
Probably happened to just about everyone at some point, however the disappointment is still a bitter pill.

·
Bon Vivant
10,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sad truth. Money talks bullshit walks.
Probably happened to just about everyone at some point, however the disappointment is still a bitter pill.
They got no bullshit from me, I would have have given them a deposit or even paid the full amount on the spot. They are the ones that refused it and asked for me to wait for them to get the paperwork together...

I've been around here a long time, anybody here think I'm a bullshitter when it comes to this stuff?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
They got no bullshit from me, I would have have given them a deposit or even paid the full amount on the spot. They are the ones that refused it and asked for me to wait for them to get the paperwork together...

I've been around here a long time, anybody here think I'm a bullshitter when it comes to this stuff?
It's pretty clear the sales guy was using your offer to leverage the eventual buyer. The timing was not a coincidence, I'm sure this guy had been on the fence. I bet the first thing the sales guy did when he got off the phone with you is make a call and use your offer as leverage. Sleazy.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,348 Posts
When he wouldn’t take a deposit, that pretty much confirms slowdive’s theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
270 Posts
How about the salesman saying something like, "There is a local guy that has expressed interest in buying the bike prior to you. I'm going to ask him if he wants it, if he says no, its yours". I don't know why some sales folks think that the truth is the last place they want to go and usually only after they have been caught lying.

·
Super Moderator
26,217 Posts
Fifteen years ago a member of a guitar and amp forum I hung out on was trying to purchase a vintage Marshall head from a shop in Phoenix, Arizona where I lived at the time. The forum member lived in Chicago. I went and checked it out, played it...I know my old Marshalls and it was a good one and priced fairly.
Two days later he mentioned they were stalling him and...same crap: wouldn't take a deposit, wouldn't close the deal. I went back to the store and some kid was looking at it, rubbing his chin, etc. I talked to him and asked him if he was gonna buy it. He wasn't sure so I walked to the counter and slapped down a credit card and said, "I want it and will take it. Run the card, I'm in a hurry".
Called the forum member and said, "I have your amp and now it's going to cost you twice as much...just kidding, hit me with your shipping address, etc...".

I guess they just didn't feel like screwing around w/ shipping, etc. Or maybe the buyer was a good customer. Or maybe a friend of the owner...whatever. A better one will come along. That wasn't meant to be.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts

No I don’t. An easy sale won.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I think I'd like to start another thread showing our wonderful visit there and not tangle it up with this topic about my unfortunate experience with a less than honorable transaction.
No, that's cool. I think that is appropriate as you point out. I was simply trying to offer another option for a Bimota.

I didn't know you'd already been there....that's 10 steps ahead of where I'm at.

I dearly appreciate what Bimota stood for once upon a time. I've visited Bimota Spirit online many times. Mostly just to dream of one day owning a 1990s era Bimota.

Wish I could visit the place and check out the museum. Looking forward to seeing your thread on your visit there............sean

·
Smut peddler
901 Posts
When I was working in Milwaukee, I had my hyper with me, and had nowhere to do an oil change. I stopped at MUD to have them do it. They seemed like a nice bunch of guys, told me where some good road's were, and the local bike nights. Fast forward a few months, I go to change oil again, and the freaking filter was on so tight, I ended up tearing it getting it off. Took a big pair of channel locks and a hammer and chisel to get the fucker off, along with the nipple and metal piece that are on the motor. I was looking at getting a monster anniversarythey had on consignment, and same deal, never would get back to me with the owner. So, I'll meet you in the parking lot, high noon next Wednesday, FBD. We got scores to settle...

·
Registered
564 Posts
That salesman, as dodgy as he obviously is, probably did you a favour....

Bimota, as nice as they are, are such a niche bike with a terrible reputation for reliability, after sales service and warranty. why put yourself through the agro?
No offence intended but if you're this wound up about a sales person's behaviour (which, to be fair is not unexpected and can be fairly typical) how would you cope with a failure and then dealing with Bimota warranty etc?

Stick with Ducati, from what i read Ducati NA are extremely supportive of their customers, something Australian customers are hoping for when Ducati Spa take over distribution here come april........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts