Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Wow, what a beautiful SB2.

I could still kick myself for passing up one back in '88 or '89. The bike was trailing oil smoke out the exhaust quite badly on the over run, and the owner was willing to sell cheap. I was scared of the repair expense, and let it pass.

What a fool I was....

·
Registered
109 Posts
oh yes, the engine is the easiset part now to swop over.
just need a nice GS750 to rob it from.
The difficult bit is finding the rest of an SB2 that somebody doesn't need anymore : )

·
Registered
481 Posts
Crankcase,
Getting the GS750 engine is quite easy as you say. However, for me the engine was one of my biggest worries. I knew beforehand that it was stuffed but I put a battery in the bike and wanted to see if it would turn over. It did and fired on a number of cylinders. The thing I hoped most for was that the engine was a Yoshimura 850.
When it was pulled apart there were the 850 pistons, camshaft which appeared a high lift piece, and large valves with double springs. The difficult bit was sourcing valve springs as some were broken and also getting new rings. Vintage Yoshi parts couldn't be found. Repco got me the springs and Total seal imported the rings from the USA.
While everything was apart I got the cases painted and cleaning them thoroughly was a real pain.

Ian

·
Registered
109 Posts
hi Ian
lucky stuff getting those parts, well done.
The POP Y logo on the piston is very cool, shame it can't be seen all the time.
I have heard that some of the Yoshi parts used were really for race use and don't hold up well 'on the road'.
If you use the bike a lot- maybe an idea to drop in a substitute standard 750 to preserve the valuable Yoshi engine?
Ian

·
Registered
481 Posts
Ian,
You are probably right . You can see in the piston photo that the piston crowns are covered in a fair bit of carbon. The crankcase was pretty sludgy as well. The Suzuki mechanic said that the bike had been ridden short distances and the motor not given much chance to get properly hot. The condition of the gear box was excellent which backs that comment up. I have some other projects that I want to pursue in the next couple of years so this bike will most likely be sold sooner rather than later.
Ian

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ian
selling an SB2- that's a real shame, maybe take it for a couple of longish trips to get the best of it.
They don't come along too often.
My Hailwood needs an hour or two to get it really up to steam- then I can forgive it anything, you might find the same with the SB2 ?
Had a garage sort of day today- started up the 851 on a fresh battery, sorted a couple of niggles on the DB2 after an excellent Saturday run with a YB11 and a Multistrada- then a beer with the neighbours son who brought me his 848 wheels for a tyre change, which I suppose I should go back out and get on with : )
all the best
Ian

·
Registered
21 Posts
Very cool DB9S. The front fender design is one I have not seen. These are not available in the US, I'm sure it is a blast to ride! Thanks for posting

·
Registered
48 Posts
hi
well I just threw a DB2 pic on another post here, but no shame in another one and a good excuse to air the second Bimota in the stable which actually belongs to my wife :)

dae bee due

Brigitte's ee bee quatro

this was a bit of a rush paint job because I wanted the bike looking good for some filming we're doing on the bikes. Otherwise it's in the middle of a rebuild- concentrated on fixing up the wiring loom at the moment :eek:
patience required, but it's on the way.

this pic is pure self gratification :D
first time to get all the 'nice' bikes in one shot

alright then, one more

all the best
Ian
Schaut gut aus in der Garage....:wink2:

61 - 80 of 94 Posts